PS3 more bad news it seems...

*yawn*

playstation have the best games

who the F cares about what the company behind the console does or doesnt do??

ms is 100x times worse than any company anyway

well sony stole the food outta my kids mouth last year(and i mean the CEO came over my house stuck his hand in my kids mouth and ripped the food out).... and ms killed my entire family(with a keyboard and mouse might i add)! so there. please who cares if its a good product that you are intrested in buy it.

i dont know how sony will release the PS3 with a bluray drive this year when stand alone bluray drives set to come out in the upcoming months will cost upwards of $1000, with a samsung one going for $1000 and a pioneer at $1600.

Molingrad said:
i dont know how sony will release the PS3 with a bluray drive this year when stand alone bluray drives set to come out in the upcoming months will cost upwards of $1000, with a samsung one going for $1000 and a pioneer at $1600.

They said the same thing when DVD was new.

heatsinker said:
They said the same thing when DVD was new.

Different situation...DVD players weren't new when the PS2 was released in March of 2000. Blu-Ray is bleeding edge in terms of media storage.

ZX6Master said:
Gaming didn't become mainstream because of Sony. It became mainstream because of Final Fantasy 7. They just happened to be the lucky company to get the franchise; if it had happened on the Saturn, the industry would've exploded in the same way. FF7 could've happened a generation later on the Dreamcast and would have still had the same impact.

You may wish to go back and read about just how Final Fantasy VII became a success in the first place.

Luke_Skywalker said:
Threads like these make me realize how many people really have no clue what they are talking about and even look worse when trying to preach their delusional and biased views. It's really really sickening.

Guess People won't be buying a Ps3 because google cache has saved the story that a mysterious and unamed "Sony artist tells us that the Xbox 360 is better than the PS3" Well thank go for that sony artist for telling us this, now we won't have to worry about buying PS3s anymore.

:D :D :D - but it is on the internet it has to be true right.......

ZX6Master said:
Different situation...DVD players weren't new when the PS2 was released in March of 2000. Blu-Ray is bleeding edge in terms of media storage.

Yet it was the cheapest DVD player available in Japan (and possibly the US?) when it launched. DVD players may not have come with a $1000 price tag back in Y2K, but if they charged more than $299 for them then by VHS and VCD standards they were definitely overpriced.

This article is a tactic to draw more traffic to the site. I dont buy it for a second.

I'm personally sick of articles from sony with no facts and I'm sick of articles from the opposition with no facts or credibility. I'd just assume not read the -opinions- on why ps3 > xbox 360 or vice versa.. I need some facts

Isn't saying Sony should leave console gaming, similar to saying Microsoft should leave operating systems?

Personally I hate Microsoft, and Sony. But Sony systems still have the best games. Enough crying the Playstation isn't going anywhere but sold out on release day (whenever that comes around).

independantvariable said:
Isn't saying Sony should leave console gaming, similar to saying Microsoft should leave operating systems?

Personally I hate Microsoft, and Sony. But Sony systems still have the best games. Enough crying the Playstation isn't going anywhere but sold out on release day (whenever that comes around).

...no. Microsoft is profiting from the OS industry.

Sony systems don't always sell just because they're Sony systems, despite what you may think. Research the PSX, an overpriced PS2-hybrid that they pushed on the Japanese gaming market. Then there is the PSP, which is getting utterly dominated by the DS.

This article is a tactic to draw more traffic to the site. I dont buy it for a second.
I read this months ago, on another site. So I don't think that's it. There's always the possibility that it is indeed true, but it is quite old.

BTW, the notion that Final Fantasy 7 was what started mainstream gaming is a joke, despite the prestige of the title.

ZX6Master said:
...no. Microsoft is profiting from the OS industry.

Sony systems don't always sell just because they're Sony systems, despite what you may think. Research the PSX, an overpriced PS2-hybrid that they pushed on the Japanese gaming market. Then there is the PSP, which is getting utterly dominated by the DS.

I wouldnt say its being dominated. In software sales yes but the PSP is doing pretty good in hardware.

Michael.R said:
I wouldnt say its being dominated. In software sales yes but the PSP is doing pretty good in hardware.

In Japan, aside from last week where the DS was COMPLETELY sold out, the DS is outselling the PSP by around 4 or 5 to 1. In North America, numbers are much harder to come by, but I believe it is 2 or 3 to 1. It is being massacred in both hardware and software - however, the PSP is still doing respectably for a system that's being dominated. That said, unlike Nintendo who's making cash hand over fist, Sony is losing money for every PSP from what I remember... and they are supposed to be making up that loss in software, but they are not. That's NOT good.

Neurofreeze said:
Don't demonize Sony and praise MS and Nintendo. All three have done some rather unsavory things. Nintendo used to be THE bully in the video game world. If anyone disagreed in the slightest with them, they were out, either by Nintendo changing plans and partnerships on the turn of a dime (ending a timely and costly R&D partnership with Sony for the ill-fated optical disc add-on/successor to the SNES) or by suing their ass out of business (Tengen, back in the NES days, was probably the most famous incident) or just making developer unfriendly hardware (GC's first dev kit made PS2's first dev kit look not so bad, N64's cartridges were absurdly expensive and constrictive for developers/distributors). It wasn't until Nintendo became the underdog that they were idealized.
*cough*....you forgot to talk about the "unsavory" thing MS did...*cough*

steviep said:
BTW, the notion that Final Fantasy 7 was what started mainstream gaming is a joke, despite the prestige of the title.

Perhaps you would tell us what did, then?

The Playstation and it's respective software was a joke before FF7. The Saturn was selling just as well, if not better, in Japan. FF7 is what turned everything around and started a chain of events that made the Playstation what it is today.

FF7 may not have started mainstream gaming, but I don't think anyone has ever denied the fact that it started mainstream jrpg releases. Without it and its success, the ps1 wouldn't have received all the great jrpgs, which is still the best genre out there to this day!! :D That is why I will be waiting for the PS3 as it is sure to get all the great jrpgs.

eblislyge said:
I made a post a while back where I predicted that the PS3 will be Sony's downfall. And the whole reason behind it was that the PS3 is just to damn complicated a piece of hardware to code for.

I recall the samething being said about the PS2.

Moog said:
I recall the samething being said about the PS2.

...apples and oranges. This time, Sony actually has a powerful competitor out. By the time the PS3 reaches all regions, the Xbox 360 will have already been out for at least six months (If not a year).

There are other differences as well. With the PS2, they were only using a new CPU. This time they're using a new CPU and a new media format. Losses on hardware will be higher unless Sony has a deal with Satan.

ZX6Master said:
...apples and oranges. This time, Sony actually has a powerful competitor out. By the time the PS3 reaches all regions, the Xbox 360 will have already been out for at least six months (If not a year).

There are other differences as well. With the PS2, they were only using a new CPU. This time they're using a new CPU and a new media format. Losses on hardware will be higher unless Sony has a deal with Satan.

LOL, the Dreamcast was out when the PS2 came out. Get off your Sony hating high horse. I buy all consoles so I can enjoy ALL GAMES. Why have some meaningless pissing contest over "Which one is better"? Who cares, buy 'em all.

PerfectCr said:
LOL, the Dreamcast was out when the PS2 came out. Get off your Sony hating high horse. I buy all consoles so I can enjoy ALL GAMES. Why have some meaningless pissing contest over "Which one is better"? Who cares, buy 'em all.

You really need a lesson in business if you can't tell the difference between Sega and Microsoft.

I said "powerful competitor". The Dreamcast was destined to fail before it was even released.

ZX6Master said:
You really need a lesson in business if you can't tell the difference between Sega and Microsoft.

I said "powerful competitor". The Dreamcast was destined to fail before it was even released.

Then why did it sell out when it launched? It was competition regardless; I don't see why it has to be "powerful" (whatever that means) competition to compel anyone to drive their product to the masses. Hasn't anyone told you to never underestimate your opponents?

PerfectCr said:

Man your the perfect consumer, buy anything and everything no questions asked. I for one like to discuss technology. Not so much a My PC or My console is bigger then his but all aspects of the discussion.

This is sorda like sitting back and watching two Heavy weight fighters getting ready to duke it out. Comparing each contenders strengths and weaknesses. Making arguments and placing bet's as to who is going to come out on top. But more importantly is why there going to come out on top.

eblislyge said:
Man your the perfect consumer, buy anything and everything no questions asked. I for one like to discuss technology. Not so much a My PC or My console is bigger then his but all aspects of the discussion.

This is sorda like sitting back and watching two Heavy weight fighters getting ready to duke it out. Comparing each contenders strengths and weaknesses. Making arguments and placing bet's as to who is going to come out on top. But more importantly is why there going to come out on top.

Seems to me you're discussing ethics and semantics. We don't know enough about the PS3 to make any kind of educated guess, yet here we are week after week.

heatsinker said:
Then why did it sell out when it launched? It was competition regardless; I don't see why it has to be "powerful" (whatever that means) competition to compel anyone to drive their product to the masses. Hasn't anyone told you to never underestimate your opponents?

By powerful, I mean a company that can actually afford to advertise the games that they make. Sega was already in financial trouble before they released the Dreamcast. They bet the farm on the system and lost.

The Dreamcast was a great system in regards to software, but don't make a fool of yourself and try to insenuate that it was ever a threat to the PS2. As soon as the hype for the PS2 began, sales for the Dreamcast immediately slowed down.

I don't recall the Dreamcast "selling out" at launch. In fact, local stores were stocked with the initial launch units for weeks. On the other hand, the Japanese PS2 launch sales for the first month exceeded the entire previous year of Japanese Dreamcast sales.

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/070/070284p1.html

Though I can't speak for everybody; I was unable to find a Dreamcast that day. I remember all of the kooky ads they had on TV about 9.9.99, while I can't recall one PS2 ad (they probably didn't need any). Needless to say, the Dreamcast marked the beginning of this trend of console launch hysteria.

heatsinker said:
Seems to me you're discussing ethics and semantics. We don't know enough about the PS3 to make any kind of educated guess, yet here we are week after week.

Yep, we know just enough to debate over it. Funny thing is even after everything is written in stone on specs and capabilities will still be arguing over it. Isnt technology wonderful.

ZX6Master said:
By powerful, I mean a company that can actually afford to advertise the games that they make. Sega was already in financial trouble before they released the Dreamcast. They bet the farm on the system and lost.

The Dreamcast was a great system in regards to software, but don't make a fool of yourself and try to insenuate that it was ever a threat to the PS2. As soon as the hype for the PS2 began, sales for the Dreamcast immediately slowed down.

I don't recall the Dreamcast "selling out" at launch. In fact, local stores were stocked with the initial launch units for weeks. On the other hand, the Japanese PS2 launch sales for the first month exceeded the entire previous year of Japanese Dreamcast sales.

Your right Sega did'nt have the Capital to really fight a war of attrition against Sony. That's why they got out when they did.

But they did have one of the most successful launches of all time with the dreamcast. Selling something like 500,000 units the first day. But it is true they could'nt meet demand and had a extremely difficult time meeting demand thereafter.(similar to the 360 right now).

The Dreamcasts downfall was that Sony riding on the success of the PS1 had ton's of developers lined up to work on the PS2. Sega was not so lucky and really could'nt secure enough developers to make the Dreamcast a finacially feasible venture. They did have support but just not enough. Afterall it is the sale of software in large numbers and lots of titles that makes selling consoles possible in the first place.

These types of thread make me laugh. Please everyone add to the !!!!!! comedy. Oh yea and the dreamcast failed cause the developers and fans didn't trust sega after they rushed so many systems out at once, 32x/32xcd, saturn, with very little software to buy or to great sales. Sega killed themselves stop making excuses for them.

Trimlock said:
no sony is sony, and doesn't even compare to ATI in any form or faction

i don't see why we are comparing one of the leading electronics company to computer hardware apparel company

and i'm interested to hear why ATI needs to shape up, seeing as it looks like they've done really well in the past few years...

I don't think you have read much about ATi's releases. Comparing a leading electronics company to a hardware apparel company is not relevant on the way your thinking. Both companies provide products to consumers. Thats where I'm coming from. Having a nice product that looks good on paper and is expected to be released on a certain date then doesn't. One year ago from Sony, "PS3 coming Winter 2005". Unless I am wrong its 2006? Also when released doesn't meet the given expectation that were given on the hype building paper release. From that article and many others it might seem that Sony is on that same path. I love ATi, they bring alot to fuel the vid card market and more. Keeps my beloved nVidia on their toes but I think they can do alot better at doing so.

I don't care much about Sony having problems making the system. I want the console to be available when they say it would and. Its not a good buisness practice if go the opposite way on this. I wish them the best and I can't wait to stand in line for one.

We should make a pool on when the PS3 will be released. I will start Oct 06

ZX6Master said:
Perhaps you would tell us what did, then?

The Playstation and it's respective software was a joke before FF7. The Saturn was selling just as well, if not better, in Japan. FF7 is what turned everything around and started a chain of events that made the Playstation what it is today.

It kick started the playstation. Nothing more. The SNES is what really pulled mainstream gaming across. After the SNES, everyone wanted a piece of the pie. Without the SNES, Sony wouldn't of even entered the game.

As far as a game, Super Mario Bros, everyone played it.

Attean said:
It kick started the playstation. Nothing more. The SNES is what really pulled mainstream gaming across. After the SNES, everyone wanted a piece of the pie. Without the SNES, Sony wouldn't of even entered the game.

As far as a game, Super Mario Bros, everyone played it.

If that is true, why did the original NES sell more than the SNES (61,780,000 to 49,020,000)? Why did the SNES sell more than the N64 (49,020,000 to 32,930,000)? Why did the N64 sell more than the Gamecube (32,930,000 to ~18,000,000)?

If the SNES had made gaming mainstream, following Nintendo systems would have sold more, not less.

ZX6Master said:
If that is true, why did the original NES sell more than the SNES (61,780,000 to 49,020,000)? Why did the SNES sell more than the N64 (49,020,000 to 32,930,000)? Why did the N64 sell more than the Gamecube (32,930,000 to ~18,000,000)?

If the SNES had made gaming mainstream, following Nintendo systems would have sold more, not less.

You forgot to factor in competition. I was barely alive back in the NES era, so I don't recall any other consoles of that time period (if anyone can inform us all, please do). In the SNES era, we had the Genesis and to some extent, the Neo Geo. And let's not forget the latter day rivals the PlayStation, PS2, and Xbox.

If you really want to get historically accurate, it wasn't the SNES that made console gaming (or "home" gaming back in the arcade days) mainstream.

Comparing Sony to ATI is bad considering I actually like some of ATI's offerings but I could not help taking a stab at ATI .

you stab it with your steel and knife but you just can't kill the beast! (sorry eagles)

as for the PSP, i would be inclined to get one if the price wasn't freakin 200+, i already have an ipod so i don't need the mp3 player, wtf do i need to store pic's on it for i have a digital camer with 2 flash sticks for it, etc. etc., all these extra's don't make me want to buy it, its just something to jack up the price, thats why i bought my DS, its a gaming platform and does well at it

Back