PS3 Media Server security/stability risk? For WHS

lordsegan

Gawd
I am thinking of installing the PS3 Media Server add in for my PS3.

That said, security and stability are very impt for my WHS box. Its not like life or death, but a major security or data system failure would put a dent in my day/week.

I noticed the PS3 server requires some sort of Java install on the WHS box.

So.. anyone have any thoughts?

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
PS3MediaServer just runs from your computer, it uses Java, thats that.

I have had it crash, but only MediaServer when trying to fast forward through .mkv rips, but only sometimes,

hm I thought it runs from my WHS box? Or at least that is what I was planning on doing?

I've never run PS3 Media Server on WHS, so my post won't be particularly helpful to you. I run it on Windows 7, and it runs in the system tray. It occasionally bails and needs to be re-started, but it never brings down any other services.
However, it is possible to run it on WHS. You'll probably have to use a remote desktop connection to install it. Google for it, I'm sure this is a common configuration.

Im using it on Windows Storage Server 08 in the "as a service" configuration and it runs perfectly as a headless unit with no users logged on to the box, hasn't crashed yet (uptime 3 weeks). Not that long of an uptime but I just got a PS3.

I play mostly 720 mkv's.

Sometimes it will go invisible or display partial lists of files but I just restart the PS3 and everything is visible/works correctly

Back