PS3 Killzone Trailer

fukcing lame, the trailer is just a cross between omaha scene from saving private ryan, call of duty, and OMG, the beginning intro in brothers in arms with legget getting shot.

sigh...

spr as in the whole feeling of the scene, and of course because the whole thing with the landing craft beside them getting blown up.

cod = obvious

BiA = the guy going "want me?" and then getting blown up.

joethemole said:
fukcing lame, the trailer is just a cross between omaha scene from saving private ryan, call of duty, and OMG, the beginning intro in brothers in arms with legget getting shot.

sigh...

You have got to be kidding me. That looked extremely cool. I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time. There was so much chaos and action that I fealt much more immersed in the game then I did for say doom 3.

I hate it when people post such negative comments.

Michael.R said:
You have got to be kidding me. That looked extremely cool. I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time. There was so much chaos and action that I fealt much more immersed in the game then I did for say doom 3.

I hate it when people post such negative comments.

negative comments? you mean the truth?

seriously. chaos and action like the one in the trailer has been done before just as well in cod. ie the russian landing scene in the original call of duty. Not to mention this blatantly rips off saving private ryan, and its atmosphere is a half life 2 rip off.

joethemole said:

seriously. chaos and action like the one in the trailer has been done before just as well in cod. ie the russian landing scene in the original call of duty. Not to mention this blatantly rips off saving private ryan, and its atmosphere is a half life 2 rip off.

Ya whatevor your opinion is your entitled to it but you dont have to go off saying "Fucking Lame".

Michael.R said:
Ya whatevor your opinion is your entitled to it but you dont have to go off saying "Fucking Lame".

and you don't have to go off minding the fuck of my business. dickhead

joethemole just so ya know nothing is really all that original anymore.....
I mean the simpsons and family guy rip each other off constantly and somone did it before them..

I believe the contrasts to Saving Private Ryan were deliberate, Joe. If this is real-time, they are quite obviously attempting to demonstrate that gaming technology has reached such a plateau that now movie goers can expereniece these movies for themselves. Yes, we could before, like you said, with CoD, and BiA. The difference here is... well, just look at that shit! Yes, there are still leaps and bounds between live action and computer generated, but this is such a level of quality that I believe we can safely say that... no one cares. If games don't look any better than Killzone, I will be perfectly content, provided new and original experiences follow.

This is why I have been looking forward to this gen of consoles. Point of deminishing returns. Yes, visual quality will always have room to improve, but steps will become smaller and smaller. It's like that infinity experiment where you take half a step forward, half of the previous step forward, half of the previous step forward, and so on, until steps become too small to notice. Yes, technology will double every few years, but to the subjective eye, who will notice? This is where developers must become original to maintain interest of the public. THAT is what I am excited about... provided this footage is real-time, because it signifies that this point of deminishing returns is coming much sooner than I anticipated.

I read on anandtech that the only actual ingame engine running on ps3 hardware was the unreal3 engine.

Based on this, i put forward that u3 and ONLY u3 screenshots/footage be used to judge the capabilities of the ps3 hardware because anything else is just fucking CGI..

Thanks for the heads up, *mxyzptlk. Everyone else seems to be claiming this is real-time, and inspite of my better judgement I would love to believe it was true.

Ah well. Thanks again. I'll put aside PS3 excitement until after E3 when more info turns up, and I can hear about hands-on experiences. Not techdemos.

I am excited about all the new consoles. And that movie of killzone was great. But I can't help to think back to how Killzone PLAYED on the PS2...it sucked....hard.
The people that made killzone also did Shellshock: Nam '67 too didn't they? That game also stank.

While they can currently show that they can make it look good...can they make it play good is the question.

I actually thought Shellshock was fun. Maybe it was just because the Veit-kong sounded like ducks when they were shot, I dunno. Anyway, good point, but like I said (later in the thread) I will be more impressed if this is an accurate representation of what we can expect games to look like. I am not quite so excited about the game itself.

Yeah no doubt...that would rock if the games looked like that while you were playing.

That was a ton of stuff going on in a huge enviroment.

Very kickass, but very fake (CG rendered). You cannot tell me that it was real time (unless Sony would be so nice to let me play it :))

wouldnt the killzone have been real time at one point. It was video taken from gameplay footage so that it must be able to run on the PS3. Maybee im mistaken.

Michael.R said:
wouldnt the killzone have been real time at one point. It was video taken from gameplay footage so that it must be able to run on the PS3. Maybee im mistaken.
You could just as easily pre-render a sequence from First Person and claim it is gameplay. I didn't see anything in the video to indicate that footage was real-time. If I hadn't heard any info about it being real-time, I would have blown it off completely. There are some quirks in there, however. For example, the helgast flame thrower... that looked pretty ghetto. Guys on fire looked decent (flames should have licked more, but it was still extremely sweet), but that flame thrower looked bad. I mean REAL bad. A few of the enemy animations/physics looked somewhat out of place as well.

Neither of those say anything, however. Could be that the video simply looked so good that the flame thrower stood out more, when it just happened to be poorly executed. Same goes for the slightly out of place animations. Since everything else seems extremely solid, heavy and life-life, the few instances where that level of quality isn't maintained stand out like a sore thumb.

I need a playable demo of this crap. I don't think I can believe these videos until I do. Sony. Me. PS3. Now!

It IS in game. Next gen consoles will rock. Go to Gamespot for more info. I hate all the pc !!!!!!s here. I used to like pc's more, but a true gamer doesn't care about the platform. I am seeing the light with these consoles. That footage was amazing. IGN has a higher res version. Also, I think you will be able to hook them up to your monitor if you don't have an HDTV. The PS2 produced some amzing games with such bad hardware. Imagine what is possible with hardware 35 times more powerful! :)

joethemole said:

KILLZONE 2 HAS GUNS IT RIPPED OFF HALF-LIFE 2 HURRR

Shut up.

Based on the power of the PS3, that footage could very well be in-game. A few things to point out would be the ragdolling of the hellgaths and the flames from the flamethrower. If this is how a pre-alpha game for PS3 looks, then I cannot imagine the final games.

It is confirmed in game. And, the finished product will actually look better. This game is in the early stages of development and done on developer kits inferior to the PS3.

I think its in game, guess we will have to wait till 2006 to find out for sure. I hope to god this is a launch title.

I hate to say it, since I made the topic, but... look at the video. Honestly I want this to be real-time, and even the few elements that anyone could claim make the vid real time, it doesn't justify the rest of the video. Here's an example, however.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/img_2787007.html

Note the I beam flipping up to the left of the screen? Motion blurred. This isn't a very easy effect to simulate. Yes, many racing games currently have "motion blur" effects, but they are extremely generic, and make no distinguishment between distance, among many other factors. I am not saying this effect CAN'T be done real-time... but, it's mighty unlikely. That I beam has some damned impressive blur going on, too. That's the kind of motion blur that occurs naturally on film, not the kind you would probably see being rendered real time.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/img_2787006.html

Here's another, much more subtle example. Note the "knee" on the top left. (I think it's a knee. Maybe an elbo) Textures are slightly blurred (I will concede that it may simply be stretched textures, but that is some whacky stuff going on. Very clear, yet we are still given a subtle blur on the knee pad which implies movement, thereby allowing our brains to take in more information than we're given.

We CAN pick out all the low qual details we can find and claim that makes it 'real-time', but there is nothing stopping the producer from using low-qual assents deliberately for A) time constraints or B) so shit doesn't look TOO good. Yes, it does occur, and it would be essecially true on a game demonstration. Fire is something that has be notoriously difficult. I think it is a bit odd that flame thrower seem substantially lower-qual than the rest of the video. ESSPECIALLY considering how intense those smoke plumes of explosions are, coupled with the bullowing flames of explosions. Probably just looking way too deeply into this.

I dunno. This is just too good for me to take on faith alone. Not when Square promoted FFVII with nothing but renders. Not when MULTIPLE devs have promoted their games with renders. I am going to need first hand accounts of people playing this game, or a demo myself before I believe it. Gamespot, IGN, it doesn't matter if they claim this is real-time, because until they can play it, Sony and who...? Guerilla are talking out of their ass. This is just "indicative" of real-time, and chances are, quality will be now-where as high in the end product. I AM praying that I am wrong, however. I want this tech!

I think the people that are claiming this is CGI are underestimating the power of PS3. Watch the press conference and they show a video of a landscape that is rendered without the graphics card in real time. It was all done with the cell.

Sony is infamous for hyping. Lets not forget our lesson from the ps2 demos that were never paralleld by games.

I want this to be real. And i hope to see it in 06.

Did sony overhype the Original playstation also??

I was never into games at the time the playstation came out so I just bought my N64 because I heard Goldeneye, mario 64, mario kart and mario party where all good. Where both consoles overhyped or is everyone just making the assumption that sony is known for overhyping because of the PS2 which was one incident. I dont think the PSP was overhyped the only time I remeber sony overhyping is the emotion engine.

This is just a warning before we start: what follows in this article is pure, unadulterated speculation. You hear that? S-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n.

Truth, huh? Yeah. Way to go, Snufalufagus. :p :) They know just as much as we do. It looks really fucking awesome.

Im pretty sure that the killzone one was in game after watching the press breifing and seeing the video of a game being developed by insomniac. Both where fairly similar.

Killing day also looked good and that seemed ingame.

I'm going to be really pissed if these graphics are confirmed, the game is released, and it ends up having the same poor gameplay/AI that made the original painfully average.

joethemole said:

Honestly, so may games, and movies have been made, that it's difficult to create something new for a tech demo. The scenes were amazing, you gotta admit that, but at the same time, this is a tech demo. They have to create something that will sell, and since SPR sold (really well), they emphasized the action; maybe. But, your observations are random from 3 different sources, and similar scenes are always apparant in action and war movies. So lighten up.

Michael.R said:
Im pretty sure that the killzone one was in game after watching the press breifing and seeing the video of a game being developed by insomniac. Both where fairly similar.

Killing day also looked good and that seemed ingame.

Yeah, killing day reminded me of the shooting inside the mansion in Scarface. Which will also be released I believe.

According to Beyond3d:

About Killzone Demo - From John Davision blog - 1Up

Quote:
I ran into an old friend from the UK when we were leaving, and it turns out he's now working on Killzone at SCEE. When I asked him how "real" the video we'd just seen was, his response was "just about all of it."

Here's the actual blog:

http://1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5345401

Back