PS3 impressions. Let's hear what you think!

Psychotext said:
Have you played the version on the demo consoles in stores too? Are the problems fixed?
I played it on an in-store demo... I didn't notice any problems...

VoodooChi|d said:
I finally got to play the PS3 today... played the motorstorm demo...

I liked it a lot... very pretty... compared to excite truck it isn't as fast paced and slightly more realistic... the dirt effect was pretty cool too...

Same here. I thought the graphics looked really nice. I also watched the demo for Lair and if the gameplay graphics are anything like the demo then I am sold.

I hooked up my 20GB PS3 last night to my Samsung 20" SDTV. I watched my X-Men The
Last Stand Blu-ray and I signed up for the PlayStation network. The movie looked great even
at 480i and I like the way you can pull up the menu during playback.

I have had only one problem so far. On three separate occasions last night the system froze
while I was typing with the controller and was cycling through the letters "pqrsPQRS". All
three freezes occured when I got to the lowercase "s". A reboot fixed the problem and I had
no problems entering text with my keyboard. I chalk this glitch up to the new firmware (1.1.1)
that was released yesterday.

I am going to play some games tonight after work. Probably Resistance.

I played the PS3 at my local Gamestop yesterday. I was not impressed at all.

They had a demo disc with Motorstom and basketball in it. Neither was impressive or looked as good as the 360. Both had a bad case of the jaggies.

Now the funny part!! The system was set up on the official Sony kiosk. While I was playing it just rebooted itself. Then, after I restarted Motorstorm, it locked up while I was choosing my vehicle. The employees restarted it let it sit for a minute. After about 30 mins after reboot, it locked up again. I couldn't help but laugh and walk away. I am not impressed by any means.

Just my two cents worth,

"CRASHFIRE"

With the proper setup, the PS3 REALLY shines... i.e. 1080p LCD at least 42" or larger, 5.1 surround, proper viewing distance. All these people saying it looks like crap at EB/Gamestop/Best Buy etc. need to see it play on something other than a 20" LCD at Gamestop. So far, (I was one of the lucky bastards that got a preorder) it looks and sounds amazing on my setup. It runs very quiet and the retail games and downloadable demos are awesome as well. I have downloaded the Motorstorm and F1 demos, as well as trailers for Lair and Motorstorm. The two retail games I bought are Resistance and COD3, both of which look, sound, and most importantly play superbly. For the record, my setup is as follows: 60GB PS3 connected to 47" 1080p Westinghouse LCD via HDMI to DVI converter, SLS Q-Line Gold 5.1 surround connected via optical, and 7 foot viewing distance.

As a side note, I am no Sony-only fan as I have a 360 with GOW and a Wii with Zelda and Rayman. What I AM is a diehard gamer (obviously) with no specific system loyalty. Nope, not rich either... just plan well. Been too busy playing to post until now. Now if I could only hibernate until March, I'd be a really happy camper.

No lockups or reboots to speak of yet either.

Biff said:
With the proper setup, the PS3 REALLY shines... i.e. 1080p LCD at least 42" or larger, 5.1 surround, proper viewing distance.
Not sure what difference 1080p makes at the moment... I thought that there were no games out that support that res? Even motorstorm was dropped to 720p. I appreciate that the console UI probably looks lovely but that's one hell of a high cost of entry. = /

Psychotext said:
Not sure what difference 1080p makes at the moment... I thought that there were no games out that support that res? Even motorstorm was dropped to 720p. I appreciate that the console UI probably looks lovely but that's one hell of a high cost of entry. = /
Theres a few playable demos that are 1080p NBA and f1 come to mind

Ridge rager 7 looks gorgeous at 1080p aswell

I downloaded the Motorstorm demo and it was fun, but I could not figure out how to quit the
game and return to the XMB. I tried every button and none of the menus had a Quit option
that took you out of the game.

That is crapilly designed demo man. Let us fucking leave when we are done assholes!

mentok1982 said:
I downloaded the Motorstorm demo and it was fun, but I could not figure out how to quit the
game and return to the XMB. I tried every button and none of the menus had a Quit option
that took you out of the game.

That is crapilly designed demo man. Let us fucking leave when we are done assholes!

Err, press and hold the Home button on the controller for a couple seconds.

has anyone else taken a really good look at the Best Buy demo units? If you look at them, they are not actual units, they ahve the case and what not, but if you look on the front where the USB ports, etc are it is just a printed sticker, they are not the actual ports and if you look at the back it is the same way, nothing is plugged in, its just a sticker. Im wondering if the actual unit is inside of the case, or is it in the bottom of the kiosk?

Take a look next time you are there...

Psychotext said:

Fight Night Round 3, due out Dec. 5th, also has support for 1080p. I didn't pick that one up for 360, so I think I'll get it for PS3 to check out some 1080p goodness other than the F1 demo and Talledega Nights. Hopefully, developers will find a way to have more upcoming games support 1080p without sacrificing texture detail and framerate.

spotdog14 said:
has anyone else taken a really good look at the Best Buy demo units? If you look at them, they are not actual units, they ahve the case and what not, but if you look on the front where the USB ports, etc are it is just a printed sticker, they are not the actual ports and if you look at the back it is the same way, nothing is plugged in, its just a sticker. Im wondering if the actual unit is inside of the case, or is it in the bottom of the kiosk?

My friend who works at EB Games was talking to his manager about that, and apparently the PS3 hardware is actually at the bottom of the kiosk.

I just got mine, and it seems that the 360 looks sharper in 1080i then when I play Madden in 720p on PS3? I'm running the PS3 through HDMI, maybe I should try Component cables.

Sky15 said:
I just got mine, and it seems that the 360 looks sharper in 1080i then when I play Madden in 720p on PS3? I'm running the PS3 through HDMI, maybe I should try Component cables.
1080i is sharper but IIRC madden is 720p natively no matter what the console so I don't see why it would make a difference.

If 1080i is the native res of the monitor...

I was stuck on component and 720p on my xbox 360 and the PGR 3 cars look absolutely rubbish...

I got my VGA HD cable yesterday which allowed me to run 1360x768 and oboy it got 100 times better...

btw is there a way to run the games at 1080i and then downscale?

oqvist said:
If 1080i is the native res of the monitor...

I was stuck on component and 720p on my xbox 360 and the PGR 3 cars look absolutely rubbish...

I got my VGA HD cable yesterday which allowed me to run 1360x768 and oboy it got 100 times better...

btw is there a way to run the games at 1080i and then downscale?
I don't think so because the unit doesn't have a upscaler chip.

I finally opened up my PS3 and so far disappointed.
- Setting up my online account took forever because of the slow web browser
- Updating the console took forever, I found downloading the update on the PC and then using a usb drive to update was much faster then the console dling the update itself.
- My Sony 56" TV suffers from the 1080i problem. PS3 will only do 480p for 720p stuff for me. Weird because my XBOX 360 will run 720p on that TV just fine.
- I wasn't impressed with Resistance's graphics or the six axis controller in that game.
- Right now Linux partition is setup for the 20GB PS3, it only lets to you 10GB for PS3 and rest for Linux or 10GB for Linux, rest for PS3.
What I liked:
- Talladega Nights!
- Its super duper quiet compared to XBOX360
- Is so shiny, but I can't touch it (finger prints and dust)

So far I'm been using it on my monitor because of the the 1080i issue. I have a Dell 2407 on the way and just got an HDMI to DVI cable so I'll give more impressions on the system later. I also haven't setup my PSP to interact with the PS3 yet so I'll try that out as well.

Has anyone tried out Madden or NHL2K7? They both seem jaggie and not to great. I'm running the PS3 through HDMI. could they be the problem? It just doesn't look as good on my 360.

Also if you have a 1080P TV will the Blu-ray movies run in 1080p instead of 1080i?

Sky15 said:
Also if you have a 1080P TV will the Blu-ray movies run in 1080p instead of 1080i?

As long as you set your display settings to 1080p.

Sky15 said:
Has anyone tried out Madden or NHL2K7? They both seem jaggie and not to great. I'm running the PS3 through HDMI. could they be the problem? It just doesn't look as good on my 360.

HDMI will give you the clearest picture from the PS3. Not the component is bad, but since HDMI is a digital signal it should have less noise.

EDIT: I just looked at NBA 2K7 again and the jaggies aren't bad at all at 1080p.

got to watch Motostorm playing on a huge 60" LCD. I have to say that i'm very impressed by the visuals. Graphics look as if they're pre-rendered and i don't see signs of any slow down that people have been mentioning. I seriously don't know what slow downs you guys are talking about but it looked perfectly smooth. I was in pretty much in awe watching it. Only time will tell though if the gameplay is on par with the graphics :p

spotdog14 said:

Look directly underneath the fake display. in the middle of the grating, or whatnot. It's vertically oriented.

Allow me to preface this by saying if they had "Resistance" on the demo kiosks, I'd probably be a lot more positive. Thats a game I feel represents what the system has to offer, and a title I'd love to play...but anyway

Playing the Demo of Motostorm was underwhelming on the demo kiosks for me. I felt like it could be fun, but it just may not be what I look for in a racing game, I don't know. Between it and the NBA game I really felt like "thinking" was not part of the marketing design for the demo kiosk.

The slowdown half of the people in this thread aren't noticing, occurs the worst at the beginning, when all of the vehicles are on screen and before the ability to use your turbo boost comes into play. The game seems to crawl within that period of time. I'm willing to chalk that up to demo build-quality.

Having never been a fan of the Dualshock, I'm not hugely in love with this lighter, rumble free motion sensitive thing either.

I still plan to buy one, eventually, but as more non-gaming, non-intended features/abilities come slowly into focus, it may be for all the wrong reasons. :p

How are people playing or going to play at 1080p at all? There are virtually zero plasma and LCD's for sale that can even do 1080p and almost all do 720p at best and a cheap version of 1080i. The best plasma and LCD's for the money do 720p and a ghetto 1080i. These are all sets from zero dollars to 3500 dollars and higher ($5000).

I am just curious how people are accomplishing it since statistically by the numbers 99% of the USA can't go past 720p and 1080i with a television. I have two 2405FPW's and they could do 1080p which I can see for a bedroom or a dormroom kid. It's a monitor though not a television.

Humble_Magii said:
How are people playing or going to play at 1080p at all? There are virtually zero plasma and LCD's for sale that can even do 1080p and almost all do 720p at best and a cheap version of 1080i. The best plasma and LCD's for the money do 720p and a ghetto 1080i. These are all sets from zero dollars to 3500 dollars and higher ($5000).

I am just curious how people are accomplishing it since statistically by the numbers 99% of the USA can't go past 720p and 1080i with a television. I have two 2405FPW's and they could do 1080p which I can see for a bedroom or a dormroom kid. It's a monitor though not a television.
There are a number of TV's available for less than $2500 ranging from 37"-40" that do 1080p. There are no commercially available plasmas that do, and by far the best 1080p TV's I've seen are LCD panels. A large number of people have picked up Westinghouse 37" 1080p panels for 1500-1700 or less in some cases.

You can pick up a 40" Sony 1080p panel for >2500 right now at Best Buy, to say there are 0 and they all cost 3500+ is false.

I'm willing to bet a ton of PS3 owners (Or 360) will state that because their dashboard is set at 1080p, and because they have a 1080p TV, that they are running games at that resolution.

1080p is certainly the minority, but is available, not that there is much to do with it, but thats another thread. Personally it doesn't blow my skirt up.

Dumbest PS3 question yet...

How long is the power cord to your PS3?

Thanks

B

brentsg said:
Dumbest PS3 question yet...

How long is the power cord to your PS3?

Thanks

B

Fairly long, about 6' I'd estimate. Can use any regular PC power cable though :)

That said, I'm a 360, Wii, Dreamcast and PS3 owner, all on a 37" LCD HDTV.

My impressions:
- Linux capabiliies = awesome, I love this to be quite honest.
- Resistance (only game I own as of now) is pretty top-notch. Graphics here dont even TOUCH Gears of War or Rainbow Six Vegas (360), but its a blast and I am ery happy with the game - AI is quite good so far.
- Motorstorm is pretty cool, I just want to play the final game :sad:

Right now, for sheer lineup quality, 360 is my favorite. Wii is awesome with friends, but I need more controllers, and PS3 needs work - I am only not reselling it right now as its linux abilities are excellent IMO :)

New firmware update is out, people...
Rumor has it that it's squashing the resolution probs some HDTVs have, but I can't confirm that at the moment.

Humble_Magii said:

My dad's new $2200 Sony 55" SXRD set does 1080P. The 50" model does it too, for 2g's or under, iirc.

It is the most stunning TV I have ever seen. My sister said that, when we were watching Charlie and the Chocolate factory over Time Warner HD in 1080i, that it looked better than the theaters. I would have to say that it is pretty damn close.

Still waiting myself, not that I could get one anyways. I just don't see the pricetag meeting the product yet.

just about every HD TV look better than in the theatres. It´s just that the screen is so huge people think it´s great ;)

I got a chance to play Motorstorm on the PS3 at a kiosk at my local EB Games, running at 720P (so not 1080P).

My impressions? The visuals were very poor in comparison to all the hype the machine has gotten...antialiasing is needed desperately, and the textures need some good ole fashioned anisotropic filtering as well. It looked as though a mid-range PC could pump out significantly better visuals.

I'm a PC gamer, so perhaps my standards were too high, but I have to say I really wasn't happy with the visuals. Again, this is only limited to Motorstorm, it was running on whatever HDTVs they have at the store (I think it was a samsung something), at 720P, so this isn't exactly scientific.

quadnad said:
I got a chance to play Motorstorm on the PS3 at a kiosk at my local EB Games, running at 720P (so not 1080P).

My impressions? The visuals were very poor in comparison to all the hype the machine has gotten...antialiasing is needed desperately, and the textures need some good ole fashioned anisotropic filtering as well. It looked as though a mid-range PC could pump out significantly better visuals.

I'm a PC gamer, so perhaps my standards were too high, but I have to say I really wasn't happy with the visuals. Again, this is only limited to Motorstorm, it was running on whatever HDTVs they have at the store (I think it was a samsung something), at 720P, so this isn't exactly scientific.
I played this same game, on a ~32" LCD. Motorstorm is hella fun, and has decent graphics. The controls were perfect if you ask me. I did notice some of the textures looked really shitty though if you pay attn to detail. AA would make it better as mentioned. Load times were not long at all, a major plus. I only played for about 15 minutes.

The Motorstorm demo at retail stores is NOT something anyone should base comparisons off.

I just downloaded the demo from the PlayStation Store and the framerate is impeccable. Very much improved from the rushed store unti versions.

Unless its the kiosk hardware.

Either way, very fun.

Raekwon said:
The Motorstorm demo at retail stores is NOT something anyone should base comparisons off.

I just downloaded the demo from the PlayStation Store and the framerate is impeccable. Very much improved from the rushed store unti versions.

Unless its the kiosk hardware.

Either way, very fun.
Agreed, theres no slowdown or stuttering on the playable version off the PS Store.

Rash said:
Agreed, theres no slowdown or stuttering on the playable version off the PS Store.

I didn't ever see any framerate issues on the kiosk, just the aliasing and need for AF.

Played a lot like what I would imagine Road Rash 2006 would, which is a good thing!

Back