PS3 impressions. Let's hear what you think!

OMFG less talking more pics, plzzzzz. some1 post playing it on a 50" screen or something, i would love to see that. btw i think that Gears looks wayy better than any PS3 game out right now, but its definitely not the PS3s fault. the simple fact being that the 360's been out for a year....i expect to see better games comin out by next year, MGS4 anyone?

miskari said:
MGS4 anyone?
The cutscenes look great right now... the in game looks awful. Have a look around, there's plenty of videos online. I think lair, motorstorm and heavenly sword are the first proper opportunities to show off the hardware.

{NG}Fidel said:
Dont add the HD-DVD drive to the cost.
Fact is I would much rather wait for a afordable PC HD-DVD Drive or a Blu Ray Drive for an HTPC than either of those two closed systems. The 360 is cheaper if you get addons its expensive yeah but they are optional. You dont see me adding 7 controllers to the cost of the PS3 because it supports them.
So far I am terribly unimpressed with the PS3, played it at a friends house and it didnt wow me what so ever. I think MS was right, next gen wazs here allready. Nintendo made a good choic eby trying something radiclly new for the Wii.
Cheers to MS and Nintendo but meh to Sony.
Affordable HD-DVD drive for the pc is already here and it's called.....the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive. :p Seriously....Windows XP recognizes the drive when you plug it in a usb port, all you need is playback software that supports HD and you're set.

As far as the PS3 goes...my only experience was at a Best Buy kiosk and it was running motorstorm. My opinion (and the general consensus of those standing around) was that the graphics simply looked like a higher res PS2 game....not bad but not what we were expecting with Sony's hype. Of course games a year from now will look better but on the other hand PGR3 (360 launch game) is still impressive graphically by today's standards. I may at some point get a PS3 but I skipped over the PS2 and and at the moment it looks like I may do the same for this one.

I made an impulse buy when I saw the PS3 60GB in stock at my local Best Buy. This is the first Sony console I have ever owned. I used to be a diehard Nintendo\PC fan until the 360.

I have an Xbox 360 and I love it, and I'm buying a Wii the second I see one so I guess you can consider my opinion unbiased. :p

The PS3 is razer sharp at 1080p, Resistance and RR7 look amazing on my TV. Better than any Xbox 360 game I've played yet, although keep in mind I haven't played GoW... I'm getting that on Friday. :)

Overall I have to say it is better than I thought it would be, I went in with the lowest of expectations. One thing that really annoys me is the fact that it does NOT upscale DVDs. Talledega Nights looks great, though I'm used to HD cable so it isn't breathtaking or anything.

Hi sorry to be off topic but i cant find an answer anywhere. I could potentially get a jap ps3 today, will it work/can i use the US online facilities, ie downloads/store etc?

Don´t make the misstake to believe HDMI is always better. On my 32" Sony TV VGA output is superior to HDMI...

Make for more natural colours and averall more realistic picture :)

With these LCD TVs they have hundred of filters to alter the image. But you can bypass most of them by using analogue input. The digital filters is mostly there to improve crappy tv broadcasts...

Rash said:
Hi sorry to be off topic but i cant find an answer anywhere. I could potentially get a jap ps3 today, will it work/can i use the US online facilities, ie downloads/store etc?

Probably, I guess the online service checks your IP location and makes you use the nearest servers or whatever. Checking if the console is Japanese and automatically routing you to Japanese servers would just be stupid.

i played it at target on a LCD TV

I noticed no choppyness or framerate issues in motostorm
So I dont know wtf everyone is talking about

Ruffy said:

Framerates can change from various conditions.

Ruffy said:

I can almost guarantee there was chopiness, it's just how the game runs. You may not have noticed it, but it's pretty much a fact that that game runs slow a lot of the time.

There was this tard in line saying PS3 games were $100 this morning.

I'm still laughing at you guys whining and bitching about not including an HDMI cable. You SHOULD be THANKFULL that your not required to buy a special Sony branded cable. You would be paying $40-70 for one instead of $7-8.

Alias2 said:
I'm still laughing at you guys whining and bitching about not including an HDMI cable. You SHOULD be THANKFULL that your not required to buy a special Sony branded cable. You would be paying $40-70 for one instead of $7-8.

Exactly and it would suck for people that don't have an hdmi input.

Alias2 said:

You're missing the point.

For $600, it should come with the cable.

Sony is losing money on each console as it is, why should they provide a cable that not everybody wants? Some people might want a hdmi to dvi cable, some will want component, chances are you get a hdmi cable with your hidef tv like i did, or home theater setup. Its like saying why doesnt my tv come with on digital built in, or why doesnt my camera come with a memory card, or why doesnt my 360 come with wireless adapter. Get over it!

Rash said:
Sony is losing money on each console as it is, why should they provide a cable that not everybody wants? Some people might want a hdmi to dvi cable, some will want component, chances are you get a hdmi cable with your hidef tv like i did, or home theater setup. Its like saying why doesnt my tv come with on digital built in, or why doesnt my camera come with a memory card, or why doesnt my 360 come with wireless adapter. Get over it!

I second that!!! ;)

Rocketpig said:
You're missing the point.

For $600, it should come with the cable.
Show me one DVD player, Cable box, TV or console that includes an HDMI.

We still have a majority of HD equipment out there with DVI, composite and component connections only. Should the manufacturers increase the price of each unit by 20$ and give you 3 types of cables?

Use your head.

friedchicken said:

We still have a majority of HD equipment out there with DVI, composite and component connections only. Should the manufacturers increase the price of each unit by 20$ and give you 3 types of cables?

Use your head.

We carry at least 2 different brands of DVD players at Sears that include HDMI cables. Not the highest of quality HDMI I'm sure, but HDMI nonetheless.

Torn said:
We carry at least 2 different brands of DVD players at Sears that include HDMI cables. Not the highest of quality HDMI I'm sure, but HDMI nonetheless.
Out of all the HD-capable brands/models of electronics, what percentage is this? And would you consider this the norm? Is it also worth it to pay extra for a model that carries the cable if you don't have a TV that supports HDMI (like 90% of households out there)

I snagged one today at my local WalMart. It's a 20gb with Talladega Nights. Sadly now that I'm home and checking Ebay, the market is a little too soft for it now. So since it's unopened, it's probably going to be returned.

I have a 62" Mitsubishi 1080P DLP HDTV. Though the 20gb version only came with a freaking composite cable. That's a load of shit. I'm not keeping this unless there's a change in demand on Ebay.

friedchicken said:

Use your head.

I have a DVD player that came with a HDMI cable, a Panasonic DVD-S97s. Granted, I had to buy the HDMI-> DVI adapter seperately, but I wouldn't expect that to be thrown in.

That being said, I never expect cables to be thrown in with anything I buy, and I often need to buy my own anyway due to my setup and issues with length of run. Also, due to having had Comcast as my cable provider over the past 8 years or so, and their policy of requiring a professional installation for new installs (and their installers willing to give you the bag of leftover cables after they complete it) I have a pretty nice collection of DVI, Component, S-Video, RCA Audio, and other random things in a bag under my sink.

To Psychotext -

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to screen size. In my living room I sit about 6' from the TV, and I have a 57" screen. It looks very good to me, but I could do with a bit larger, I like the 'movie theatre' experience for DVDs especially. Due to poor light-control I can't do front-projection, but I am planning on a 70"+ DLP or SXRD screen for my next set.

friedchicken said:

Use your head.

Or, since you're paying 600, they could include a cable that at the very least supports HD. They give you composite. That's garbage. The 360 premium gives you an HD cable that does component and composite. Sorry, but it should be standard.

I tried the ps3 at gamestop, it looks like the unit is set up right, It looks like it has enough air circulating, NBA 2k7 looks amazing, looks as good maybe better than the xbox 360 counterpart, I don't know if it was the way it was setup but motorstorm looked good, detailed, no slowdowns and best of all was a fun game, I hit a dune buggie and pushed it off the edge of cayon trail, when the car gets destroyed looks well and detailed expecially all the parts that go missing. I went to circuit city, the unit was not operating, I asked the guy and he showed me how bad the console was strapped up. The one that you actually see is a dud, technically a shell, and then it's on the bottom, it's in a small compartment of the base and theres cables all around it, poorly ventilated, where air is suppose to come in is all covered in wires heat builds up easily there.

Well, hooked up the PS3 tonight and put it through its paces. Blue ray playback, awesome, love it. Big step up over DVD on my 56" Samsung. Compared to the HD download of V for Vendeta on my 360, looks the same. Resistance plays so fast its silly. Silky smooth. However, it looks like the graphics are on par with Far Cry for the PC, so I dont think that its a test of what the system can really do. The most noticable thing between the 360 and the PS3 is that the PS3 menu seems to be laid out more like a media center pc where as the 360 is laid out for kids. The PS3 is also so full of extra settings and customizations that it is almost too much. The PS3 seems to me to not be geared to the casual gamer, or even a casual pc user. I plugged in my logitech G15 and was surfing no problem with the browser. Downloaded the Megadeath song from Gears of War, added it to my library. Went to the Sony store and grabbed a trailer for Lair, and MADE an icon for it from 15 seconds of footage. Now when I go to the video menu, a live clip of the Lair trailer is what you see instead of some picture with a title. The fact that I can dump my videos and music onto it, instead of having to stream it all from a Media Center PC is really nice. I think Sony has the potenial to make a great all in one device now, if they only get the online portion down. I could see myself using this to surf the web, watch a movie, and then play some games, all from the same box. I hope that they nail this thing, because competition can only help.

Rash said:

It should come with at *least* component cables for one simple reason: It's supposed to be an HD-capable system out of the box. Hell, if you listen to the liars at $ony it's THE HD capable system out of the box.

Sad fact: Out of the box, the PS3 can't output HD *anything*, until you shell out extra cash for the proper cable to do it. Even at $100-200 less, the Xbox 360 premium comes HD capable *right out of the box*. PS3 *doesn't*.

That's not just sad, that's pathetic.

friedchicken said:

Use your head.

RCA HD-DVD Player for $399, HDMI included.

RCA Upscaling DIVX DVD Player, $79, comes with HDMI (and I have this one, it works very well!)

Christ are you lot still bitching about a hi def cable lol!!?

Your all sadder than i thought and tight ass. Get your shiny Fivers out lol. Pathetic. even if the ps3 came with a hdmi cable youd all still moan that it didnt come with component or vga or dvi, or the cables too short or long

friedchicken said:

Use your head.

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. It irks me when people act like they know the score.

I have 2 DVD players that came with HDMI. The Panasonic s77 and the Panansonic s97. Also, my Scientific Atlantic cablebox, model 3250HD ALSO came with HDMI from Time Warner. They usually come with components, but you can request for HDMI as well, which I did.

Here's the s77 boxed up........

clist016.jpg

clist015.jpg

clist013.jpg

btf1980 said:
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. It irks me when people act like they know the score.

I have 2 DVD players that came with HDMI. The Panasonic s77 and the Panansonic s97. Also, my Scientific Atlantic cablebox, model 3250HD ALSO came with HDMI from Time Warner. They usually come with components, but you can request for HDMI as well, which I did.

Here's the s77 boxed up........
very untrue
I also ordered the 3250hd box. Which infant does NOT come with an HDMI slot rather a DVI one. You're thinking of the DVR box which model number I forget. Even then I called time warner and requested an hdmi cable and was denied and supplied only component. Mayby you're time warner is incredibly generous but none of the time warner centers in the NYC area provides them.

TBM24 said:
very untrue
I also ordered the 3250hd box. Which infant does NOT come with an HDMI slot rather a DVI one. You're thinking of the DVR box which model number I forget. Even then I called time warner and requested an hdmi cable and was denied and supplied only component. Mayby you're time warner is incredibly generous but none of the time warner centers in the NYC area provides them.

Yes, I do have the 3250 in the bedroom and the 8300 in the living room that comes with HDMI. My mistake. Time Warner, on Staten Island brought HDMI cables when I asked. The 8300 did give me problems though. Do you have triple play?

btf1980 said:
Yes, I do have the 3250 in the bedroom and the 8300 in the living room that comes with HDMI. My mistake. Time Warner, on Staten Island brought HDMI cables when I asked. The 8300 did give me problems though. Do you have triple play?
Ya I do
:)
Ording cable alone and not packaging my internet and phone bill into it would be silly :p
And I don't know about you but I called every time warner store I could find and none of them were willing to give me an hdmi cable :p

BoB101[H] said:
Well, hooked up the PS3 tonight and put it through its paces. Blue ray playback, awesome, love it. Big step up over DVD on my 56" Samsung. Compared to the HD download of V for Vendeta on my 360, looks the same. Resistance plays so fast its silly. Silky smooth. However, it looks like the graphics are on par with Far Cry for the PC, so I dont think that its a test of what the system can really do. The most noticable thing between the 360 and the PS3 is that the PS3 menu seems to be laid out more like a media center pc where as the 360 is laid out for kids. The PS3 is also so full of extra settings and customizations that it is almost too much. The PS3 seems to me to not be geared to the casual gamer, or even a casual pc user. I plugged in my logitech G15 and was surfing no problem with the browser. Downloaded the Megadeath song from Gears of War, added it to my library. Went to the Sony store and grabbed a trailer for Lair, and MADE an icon for it from 15 seconds of footage. Now when I go to the video menu, a live clip of the Lair trailer is what you see instead of some picture with a title. The fact that I can dump my videos and music onto it, instead of having to stream it all from a Media Center PC is really nice. I think Sony has the potenial to make a great all in one device now, if they only get the online portion down. I could see myself using this to surf the web, watch a movie, and then play some games, all from the same box. I hope that they nail this thing, because competition can only help.

Thanks for providing your impressions and actually staying on topic. The customization angle is nice, as I haven't seen that mentioned in any previous reviews. Once they get the scaling issues nailed down this looks like the PS3 will be a great system.

Rash said:
Christ are you lot still bitching about a hi def cable lol!!?

Your all sadder than i thought and tight ass. Get your shiny Fivers out lol. Pathetic. even if the ps3 came with a hdmi cable youd all still moan that it didnt come with component or vga or dvi, or the cables too short or long

Thats what I am saying. So its a $606 system. I will GIVE an HDMI cable to the first person who paypals me the cost of shipping of there choice. Jesus, bunch of whiners :p

TBM24 said:
Ya I do
:)
Ording cable alone and not packaging my internet and phone bill into it would be silly :p
And I don't know about you but I called every time warner store I could find and none of them were willing to give me an hdmi cable :p

I couldn't get a cable out of them either. Don't feel bad. Neither HDMI or DVI. Never could get DVI to work on my JVC though.

Guys, enough arguing about the HDMI cables. If you have nothing useful to say, take a note: DONT SAY IT! ;)

I finally got to play the PS3 today... played the motorstorm demo...

I liked it a lot... very pretty... compared to excite truck it isn't as fast paced and slightly more realistic... the dirt effect was pretty cool too...

Have you played the version on the demo consoles in stores too? Are the problems fixed?

Back