PS3 impressions. Let's hear what you think!

OldSpice said:
Ok so I opened the ps3, the console it self is gorgeous - the picture it outputs is gross. Hooked it up thru a monster 1.3 HDMI cable to a samsung 50" dlp 1080p tv, Resistance looked like a cartoon - the textures didnt even appear to exist, and there was artifacting. The Will Farrel movie didnt appear to be high definition what-so-ever, it looked like I had just used the composite cables which came with the ps3. So far I'm highly disappointed, but it was tested on my buddies tv, I've got a 62" toshiba 1080p projector I'm about to go try it on.

That sucks. Sounds like something similar to what happened with my Dad's first original Xbox. He had got it and was half way through Halo, when I came home with my system (I was in College). I took one look at him playing it, on his HDTV, and knew something was wrong. The graphics were almost cell-shaded, with distinct lines between color gradiants. We hooked up my Xbox, using his cables (think that was the problem), and mine looked fine. It had to have been an issue with his GPU, or the video output right on the console.

He returned it, got a new one, and the next one was fine. Played great ever since.

OldSpice said:
Ok so I opened the ps3, the console it self is gorgeous - the picture it outputs is gross. Hooked it up thru a monster 1.3 HDMI cable to a samsung 50" dlp 1080p tv, Resistance looked like a cartoon - the textures didnt even appear to exist, and there was artifacting. The Will Farrel movie didnt appear to be high definition what-so-ever, it looked like I had just used the composite cables which came with the ps3. So far I'm highly disappointed, but it was tested on my buddies tv, I've got a 62" toshiba 1080p projector I'm about to go try it on.

There seems to be and issue with the PS3 not scaling games to tv outputs on some screens. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746492p1.html They dont know yet if can be fix in a patch or it is a hardware problem which will really probally upset a ton of early adopters. I find kind interesting that they advertised 1080 Progressive very highly yet none of the current games are 1080 Progressive. :confused:

Ok I figured out the problem so all is well - my Toshiba doesnt support 1080p although it advertises it as 1080p compliant - it simply upscales the picture. As far as the game graphics go, I set the ps3 to display to 720p (recommended setting), and they look somewhat better. Whats annoying, with my 360 when I plug it into my buddies 1080p samsung and select 1080p output then bring it over here it automatically switches over to the highest supported resolution - the ps3 does not do it (atleast in my case). Heres some pics of the unit itself:
1117062011-00.jpg

1117062010-01.jpg

1117062010-00.jpg

Macross said:
There seems to be and issue with the PS3 not scaling games to tv outputs on some screens. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746492p1.html They dont know yet if can be fix in a patch or it is a hardware problem which will really probally upset a ton of early adopters. I find kind interesting that they advertised 1080 Progressive very highly yet none of the current games are 1080 Progressive. :confused:
Ridge Racer is 1080p IIRC

I didn't get a chance to play one yet, but I did happen to witness one in action last night at Wal-Mart. The graphics and sound both have come a long way, and I was quite impressed with it!!

Maybe in the future, after they iron out the bugs and drop the price a bit. but not now....

Woah OldSpice... next to a TV that big even the PS3 looks tiny. That thing is freaking huge! :D

I played hte PS3 last night and I was disapointed.
Heres the scenario.
Today me and my friend at 3pm went out and bought Gears of War.
Played it for two hours had a fucking blast.
We leave and meet up with two other friends. Drive around go to gamestop to meet a friend working their play the PS3 no one stays for more than 5 minutes. The game was bad the graphics were ok but no AA and bad AF got to me after a while.
Now on the wii the graphcis didnt matter even my friend loved the wii and before he just talked shit about it. I think Ill get a wii one year from now.

OldSpice said:
Which model are you using? samsung website doesn't have a 1080p 50" TV that I know of...
and there are some TVs out there that can do 1080p, but don't accept the signal input without using an internal upscaler.

TVs that take a 1080p signal direct without conversions are rare to find.

http://home.comcast.net/~ucsb/78-series.pdf

This one only accepts a 480i/p, 720p and 1080i input and upscales the format internally with their Cinema Smooth light engine that is basically an upscaler.

the noise levels are almost inaudible, every now and then you hear the disc drive whine up....

load times are ok...they arent unbearable not like the PS2

K10 said:
can anyone comment on the noise and load time?
Like the reports stated, it's whisper quiet. That doesn't mean it's inaudible, but it's very very very low.
When you first pop in a CD/DVD/BD, you can hear the initial loading for a second or two but afterwards there's no sound other than the fan running, which is (as I said above) whisper quiet.

As for load times, they're fantastic. They're not instantaneous (what is?), but they're still very fast in my opinion. The NBA 07 demo takes a good 10 seconds to load, the MotorStorm just about the same, Resistance takes about 15... it's great.

Um, I have played plenty of games and the load times are not long. Comprable to the Xbox 360. The machine is almost silent and the drive in inaudible. But with that slow fan inside, this thing puts out some major heat.

So far, from what I've seen and played, I thought the PS3 has done well, could be better no doubt, but is well... Yes, there was some choppy shit going on in some of the games... But that will all change... All the ps3 needs is better coded games to work in perfect sync with the hardware that the ps3 has to offer...

But as of right now, it seems xbox will have the lead, until sony fixes a few things up... I feel within a year or so, they'll do either a re-release, much like they did with the ps2, and hopefully have a lot updated... Hurts me deeply that sonys huge head, has once again, lead us all into nothing :(...

I got a chance to try one out, in a store kiosk, not the best situation, but it seems to look very good, at least easily matching how the 360 looks.

I am glad to hear that the unit is actually quiet, one of the big things that bugs me about the 360 is how loud it is (especially since I have to fall back on it to play regular DVDs on occasion as my set-top player is starting to get a bit finicky about which discs it will play). On a similar note - the BluRay playback seems to be agreed by everyone to look beautiful (and I saw a stand-alone blu-ray player at a Sony store a while ago, and I agree the format looks great) - but how does the PS3 do with regular DVD-Video playback?

A recent move means I won't be picking one of these up until after Christmas at least (need to get everything else in order for myself first) but even from initial reviews the PS3 looks like the system to have. For the same $600 as the 360 premium + the HD-DVD drive I also get the Wi-Fi, the card-reader, an all in one and more attractice unit (subjective, but I don't like how the 360 is white), plus 40 extra gigs of hard drive space. I can live with a slightly smaller initial game selection and a few glitches in some of the software at launch. I am sure the bugs will be mostly fixable by firmware updates as it happened with the 360, and as for games, a year from now there will be 2x as many PS3 titles as 360 titles on the shelves (just my opinion, but I think a lot of the internet Sony bashers think the average populace pays a lot more attention to their opinion than they do).

Dont add the HD-DVD drive to the cost.
Fact is I would much rather wait for a afordable PC HD-DVD Drive or a Blu Ray Drive for an HTPC than either of those two closed systems. The 360 is cheaper if you get addons its expensive yeah but they are optional. You dont see me adding 7 controllers to the cost of the PS3 because it supports them.
So far I am terribly unimpressed with the PS3, played it at a friends house and it didnt wow me what so ever. I think MS was right, next gen wazs here allready. Nintendo made a good choic eby trying something radiclly new for the Wii.
Cheers to MS and Nintendo but meh to Sony.

Both the ps3 and the 360, more so the ps3 were designed to run on high end monitors/lcd's/plasmas... There are still flaws with the ps3, and will be for a while, upgrades will come, and newer games will be released, same for the 360... Both systems are fabulous if you ask me, I however, do not have the money to spend on both of them... I figure I'll wait until they go down in price, both, wait for ms to release the hd-dvd drive and it to also drop in price... I'm a huge gamer, huge fan of both... I will own both, and I have enjoyed playing both... However, I can not say which one I prefer more, each will have their specialties... ;)

{NG}Fidel said:
Dont add the HD-DVD drive to the cost.
Fact is I would much rather wait for a afordable PC HD-DVD Drive or a Blu Ray Drive for an HTPC than either of those two closed systems. The 360 is cheaper if you get addons its expensive yeah but they are optional. You dont see me adding 7 controllers to the cost of the PS3 because it supports them.
So far I am terribly unimpressed with the PS3, played it at a friends house and it didnt wow me what so ever. I think MS was right, next gen wazs here allready. Nintendo made a good choic eby trying something radiclly new for the Wii.
Cheers to MS and Nintendo but meh to Sony.

I never made any qualms about the 360 being a next-gen system, I believe it fully is in every respect, but the PS3 is also, and in its infancy, so a more fair comparison would be between the two of them at a later date when both had a chance to mature. We all know the major issues during the 360 launch, and don't forget that when the PS2 launched, there were Dreamcast games that looked better than PS2 titles, and when the Xbox launched, there were PS2 titles that looked better than original Xbox titles, so developers becoming more comfortable over time always leads to better results.

As for the built in Blu-Ray drive and other accessory loading, I just gave the two systems equal capabilities, I agree that for most people there would never be a need to own 7 controllers. Personally I find the built in drive a huge plus though, as the cheapest standalone HD-DVD player is $500, the cheapest Blu-Ray player almost twice that much, and for home-theatre applications I would always prefer standalone devices as opposed to a drive in an HTPC (then again, I don't watch movies on my computer monitor, and I still have yet to see an HTPC that provides more for the money than shelf-components).

Please try and keep the 360 is better than PS3 comments out of this thread. Or anything to do with the Wii or 360 period.

I have enjoyed this thread and seeing what people think of the system itself with no comparison.

i agree, i think for argument sake for this thread at least we can all agree that all the next gen systems are unique in some way, and are because of that on par with eachother.

What i would like to know is if the rebooting/crashing issue has been fixed in any of the production systems. I have not played at a kiosk yet where the system hasnt rebooted on me. Now granted it does not do it multiple times but it does do it and it is pretty annoying. It might be fixed by the updates and what not, but judging by what i have seen on here and on the sony forums the problem is for the most part fixed in the update, only a few people still report seeing it.

I am really excited about getting one in the next say 4 months... lol or when ever i can get my hands on one. I see they are going on ebay right now for about $800 and this is now within my price range so i might have to pick one up that way.

Has anyone played Resistance online yet? I'm curious to hear how the game plays with 40 people.

spotdog14 said:
i agree, i think for argument sake for this thread at least we can all agree that all the next gen systems are unique in some way, and are because of that on par with eachother.

I would disagree on this due to the statement made in the orignal post. To really evaluate any system you have to look at the competition. The PS3 is the most expensive, but has the most capability out of the box, the 360 and PS3 are about equal in gaming visuals, but the 360 has more games, the Wii has the most interesting controller, but falls far short on graphics output to either other.

As long as biases and strengthes are looked at objectively and not in a pro- one console or the other fashion I would think they are fair to mention.

DragonMasterAlex said:
Yep. The funny part is that it looks *worse* than the year-old RR6 at 720p on 360 :D
Actually in the real pics it looks better... I'm sure you're going off of that thing that was spread across the internet...

IcedEmotion said:
Has anyone played Resistance online yet? I'm curious to hear how the game plays with 40 people.

OMG it's sooooooooo FUN!

No lag/slow downs AT ALL. 40 players DM/TDM = win.

VoodooChi|d said:
Actually in the real pics it looks better... I'm sure you're going off of that thing that was spread across the internet...

No, actually, it doesn't. I've seen both in person, and the PS3 version--just like the screenshots showed--has washed out, lower resolution textures and just doesn't look as good. SOrry, that's a fact, like it or not.

It's simple why: Xbox 360 has more texture memory and a much smaller OS footprint than PS3, making more of the important resources available for games.

It's cute that you're in denial, though :D

U HAX0R said:
OMG it's sooooooooo FUN!

No lag/slow downs AT ALL. 40 players DM/TDM = win.
Yeah, it's quite amazing if I may say so myself.
I came out #1 in a good 4 games I played... but, unfortunately, they were unranked games. :(
-sigh

I'm goign to start playing ranked games when I get farther in the game and learn how to use more weapons.

Oh, and lag is nonexistant. I'm using Wi-Fi to my cable connection and it's unbelievably smooth and fluid.

IcedEmotion said:
I played this morning. The game setup is like Halo 2. It automatically goes out and finds people and puts them in your match. There were about 10 in the game I played. The game reminds me of Call of Duty because of the level and movement. Although in this game, there were futuristic weapons. Fun game and anyone who loves FPS will love it. There was zero lag in my game.

It's kind of sad the way they have these units setup, I went to the PS3, it's hooked to a small 30inch lcd, I ask one of the representatives if they could get the unit working, they told me they even if they open it, it wouldn't do much good. OK. So I go on to the xbox 360, hooked up to the same type of LCD, they had maiden 2006, and I can say It looked like crap, it was downscaled to 480P on the LCD, I played for 5mins, then the game froze. What do I get from this? some of the employees are a little on the slow side. Even if you don't have any units you should try to accomodate to costumer, I went to the magnolia dept, they treated me right, I went to the camera dept, they even got someone who knew what they were talking about, I go to the video game section and all I get is a lazy kid who hates his job and makes no effort to help the costumer.I really wanted to play the PS3, one thing I noticed is the controller is really light, you can throw it at your friend and It won't knock em down.

Again I played the PS3, I still believe it looks wonderful. Of course I cant really say much, as it was just for a few minutes, and the same stupid game I played last time. I'd like to find someone that I know that has one and play on my rocking monitor. Unfortunately that wont happen, but reading all the excited reviews and all the people that are more then astonished by the ps3, makes me wanna... Well wait until more are available ;)

Keep in mind that there are very *few* true 1080p TVs out there and what you think looks like crap is alot of conversion between the PS3 and your final output. Most HDTVs out there say they are 1080p, but their inputs are only capable of 720p/768p and then they are re-scaled. Almost all DPL TVs need 2 display chip sets cause they can only do half screen at that resolution. Only the Sony XBR2s have a single chip to display a full screen image.

If you have a 1080p game that you think looks like crap, post which TV/LCD you are using and under what inputs.

friedchicken said:
Keep in mind that there are very *few* true 1080p TVs out there and what you think looks like crap is alot of conversion between the PS3 and your final output. Most HDTVs out there say they are 1080p, but their inputs are only capable of 720p/768p and then they are re-scaled. Almost all DPL TVs need 2 display chip sets cause they can only do half screen at that resolution. Only the Sony XBR2s have a single chip to display a full screen image.

If you have a 1080p game that you think looks like crap, post which TV/LCD you are using and under what inputs.

i am really interested to see (when i ever get my hands on a PS3) how the display differences will be between my 32inch 720p LCD TV and my Dell 2405FPW monitor are.

Ill of course have the PS3 hooked up to the tv via HDMI and to the monitor via Component (RGB). Which one do you think with have the better output?

spotdog14 said:
Ill of course have the PS3 hooked up to the tv via HDMI and to the monitor via Component (RGB). Which one do you think with have the better output?
Component Video = 1080p analog
HDMI = 1080p digital.

(note that it doesn't have to be 1080i/p, but Component cables are the only analog option for any progressive scan at any res up to 1080.)

The component signal will suffer from unavoidable degradation due to its analog nature, but this is obviously mitigated by quality of cables use, EMI sources in the nearby area, etc.

Note that HDCP will only operate over HDMI as well. TBH, from a fair distance away, with high-end cables for both outputs, the differences are visible only to a trained eye/A/V nut/if you really look for it. HDMI is simply necessary for HDCP, and provides us with a digital interconnect.

movax said:
Component Video = 1080p analog
HDMI = 1080p digital.

(note that it doesn't have to be 1080i/p, but Component cables are the only analog option for any progressive scan at any res up to 1080.)

The component signal will suffer from unavoidable degradation due to its analog nature, but this is obviously mitigated by quality of cables use, EMI sources in the nearby area, etc.

Note that HDCP will only operate over HDMI as well. TBH, from a fair distance away, with high-end cables for both outputs, the differences are visible only to a trained eye/A/V nut/if you really look for it. HDMI is simply necessary for HDCP, and provides us with a digital interconnect.

so what your saying bascially is that ill only have 720p on my HD TV, but up to 1080i/p on my monitor? The 2405 is capable of displaying 1080i correct, via component?

spotdog14 said:
so what your saying bascially is that ill only have 720p on my HD TV, but up to 1080i/p on my monitor? The 2405 is capable of displaying 1080i correct, via component?
I don't have a PS3, so I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that:

1. Component Video is capable of carrying upto a 1080p signal.
2. HDMI (current version) is more than capable of carrying a 1080p signal, and future versions will go even higher.

Both are capable of everything lower than 1080p as well, obviously. (480i/p, 720i/p).

Now just put together the pieces... "my monitor is a 1920x1080 panel, the specs say it supports upto 1080p over HDMI/DVI/Component", so yes, you can enjoy 1080p over either connection. Your 720p LCD will work fine with either connection, and depending on what the PS3 outputs, it will either accept native 720p, or upscale 480i/p. (And maybe even downscale 1080i/p, but god knows what Sony has done with resolution support on their console.)

And BTW, correcting my earlier post...differences between component & DVI/HDMI become more pronounced at higher resolutions.

movax said:
And BTW, correcting my earlier post...differences between component & DVI/HDMI become more pronounced at higher resolutions.

Expanding on this also, 1080p resolutions is much more important on 50" or larger displays then on anything under 50". So if you have a 46" plasma or LCD, looking for a 1080p source will not give you any benifits.

The PS3 is truely built for the future, where unconverted 1080p images on large displays over 50" will become more common place 2 years from now.

friedchicken said:
The PS3 is truely built for the future, where unconverted 1080p images on large displays over 50" will become more common place 2 years from now.
I'd be amazed if that's the case but people can be a bit mad. I've seen so many screens that are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for the rooms they are in. I just don't understand it. Is it some sort of status thing? You know, being able to afford a television that's far too big for your house? :p

Psychotext said:
I'd be amazed if that's the case but people can be a bit mad. I've seen so many screens that are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for the rooms they are in. I just don't understand it. Is it some sort of status thing? You know, being able to afford a television that's far too big for your house? :p

Most people believe that bigger is better without considering the optimal viewable distance based on the size or type of display. A rear projection TV, for example, has a sweet spot where if you are too close, you see a "silk screen" or "screen door" effect, but if you are too far away, it doesn't look as sharp. I have seen people sitting 6 feet away from a 60" display and it looks like garbage when they could have purchased a better quality 46/50" tv for the same price while improving the overall picture.

But of course the TV salesman doesn't go over how your livingroom is set up or how it handles your input devices like a PS3 :)

Sorry for the side track... back to PS3 owner feedback!!

Back