PS3 impressions. Let's hear what you think!

Maybe they can make games more efficient but Gears seems to be maxing out the hardware...

I think the fact that Resistance seems to be not that much of a step below Gears (although I don't like comparing the two) is promising that the capabilities of the PS3 are great.

I remember in an interview with the guy heading the "Lair" development, he said that it would take years and years before developers had fully maxed out the PS3's potential.

VoodooChi|d said:
I remember in an interview with the guy heading the "Lair" development, he said that it would take years and years before developers had fully maxed out the PS3's potential.
Come on Voodoo... we both know that this is going to be the case for both of the consoles. Look at the last year of the PS2, xbox and GC. All of them stormed on from their first games and by the end the graphics were pretty damn impressive (especially RE4 on the GC). Lets not try and make out that the 360 has reached this point in a year. We could play this game with Motorstorm and point to frame rate drops in places, but it would be stupid to say that's cos they'd found the limit of the hardware.

The developers will do all they can with the hardware at the time they are developing for it. New interfaces get released, new tweaks are found and optimizations made. The peak for the 360 and PS3 is a long way off. I'd argue that the Wii is closer to its peak optimisation point because of the experience from the gamecube being relevant on the new hardware. But that's a good thing and should not be taken as a negative.

Oh, and the reason I mentioned CliffyB's comments is that's he's the only cross platform developer that seems to have been willing to speak out on the issue. :) Anyway, a good time to be a gamer!

Well I guess we will have to trust the Devs...

So both are a long way away from their potential :p

I hope the Wii isn't near its peak... those Zelda shots don't look that hot... :(

Whats funny is Halo is still one of the best looking Xbox games, and it was a launch game.

Gran Turismo 3 came out less than a year? after PS2 came out, and its one of the best looking PS2 games.

So I don't know about all this...."wait another 3 years till devs start to learn how to code for it"..

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Whats funny is Halo is still one of the best looking Xbox games, and it was a launch game.

Gran Turismo 3 came out less than a year? after PS2 came out, and its one of the best looking PS2 games.

So I don't know about all this...."wait another 3 years till devs start to learn how to code for it"..
GT4 looked a lot better than GT3...

With a projected extra cost of development of around $12million, their wont be a whole lot of games for the PS3 until Sony can get more into consumer hands. Now, the question is can they pull that off fast enough to keep themselves from hemorrhaging so much money that their gaming division shuts down? I'm sure they have a plan for such, but just making the argument.

Now, as far as the system itself, I have a comparison that I have yet to see made yet. The PS3 has about 12 processors last I heard (may have been 14, but the point stands). Programmers are saying this, alone, is making it hard to make games for the system in any reasonable amount of time (thus the extra money for development). Now, if the system survives its projected 5 year shelf-life, we should see some incredible stuff coming out in the next few years. Now to that comparison I mentioned; their was another console with that many processors. It was called the Sega Saturn. It was dead within 3 years (give or take the odd game) and cost Sega so much money that they no longer make consoles. Did Sony learn from Segas mistakes? Time will tell. Complex architecture is not something most game devs, especially smaller teams, like to have to hassle with.

Circuitbreaker8 said:

To be fair the PS3 is using technology i thought most Devs were saying is going to take much longer to write for and get used to. But that is true...the PS3 better have some good games out by mid-2007 or I will be upset.

I am not sure if that info has changed though, feel free to update me if it has.

Last night after closing a fellow employee and myself took some time (while on the clock of course) to play the PS3. Motorstorm was boring and didn't present anything new. I found myself crashing into the arrow signs mostly just to see the crashes... because the game sucked other than that. The graphics were a launch title so I wasn't really expecting much. It locked up on us twice while playing it which isn't anything new. We have been having customers tell us all day that it keeps freezing.

The PS3 is dead secksay in terms of looks imo. I can see it fitting in perfectly with my home theatre system. The controller felt gimmiky to me and I truely missed the rumble.. especially in a game like motorstorm. I probably will wait on purchasing it until there are some big hits out for it. One of the things that interests me most is homebrew potential with linux etc. so I am still kind of waiting to see how that all pans out as well. What will suck though is modchips/game backups on it because of the ridiculous cost of the discs and size of the games.

On a somewhat unrelated but hillarious note we had someone bring in a PS3 yesterday he had won through a radio contest because it was overheating. He was expecting us to exchange it not even knowing it isn't out yet.

Fleat said:
On a somewhat unrelated but hillarious note we had someone bring in a PS3 yesterday he had won through a radio contest because it was overheating. He was expecting us to exchange it not even knowing it isn't out yet.
You cruel bastages... lol

wait wait wait wait wait...

The PS3 controller doesn't have a rumble feature AT ALL? I thought the controller was busted or something @ Target......

Wow...thats pretty gay.

VoodooChi|d said:
Maybe they can make games more efficient but Gears seems to be maxing out the hardware...
I don't think so, there is room to grow on the 360.

I really don't miss the rumble feature, it's never been needed for gameplay. Well, Splinter Cell used it for lock-picking, and I liked it then. I wonder how UBISoft is gonna deal with that for the PS3?

Circuitbreaker8 said:
wait wait wait wait wait...

The PS3 controller doesn't have a rumble feature AT ALL? I thought the controller was busted or something @ Target......

Wow...thats pretty gay.
AFAIK, wireless controllers lack rumble...eats batteries.(At least, I know the Wavebird and Sixaxis lack it.)

On that note...what's the official name of the PS3 controller? DualShock 3 or Sixaxis or a combination?

movax said:
AFAIK, wireless controllers lack rumble...eats batteries.(At least, I know the Wavebird and Sixaxis lack it.)

On that note...what's the official name of the PS3 controller? DualShock 3 or Sixaxis or a combination?
Just plain SIXAXIS <-all caps ;)

1117061130-00.jpg

1117060911-00.jpg

Still debating on whether or not to sell it... sooo tempting but I made the stupid mistake of making it an employee purchase, and company policy is to NOT sell otherwise you face termination.

Oh I was in line starting Wednesday (11/15 at 3:30, doors opened today 11/17 at 8am)

OldSpice said:
SNIP

Still debating on whether or not to sell it... sooo tempting but I made the stupid mistake of making it an employee purchase, and company policy is to NOT sell otherwise you face termination.

How would they know? Play resistance and then sell it. You'll still get top dollar for it. Also, you can off it, make some cash, and avoid the almost guaranteed first production run bugs.

OH, also, don't forget to add the sock and the underwear in the auction :D

inotocracy said:
Please do your laundry. :eek:
Hm, that's what she sa-...

So that's why I'm single. Other than the continuous slips of tongue in stating that various pieces of hardware were the "sexiest looking things ever" followed by a quick "other than you, hon!". Grr.

I think the 360 has the edge atm. From what I understand, the 360 is much easier to develop games for than the PS3. That alone would have been a killer edge but now the PS3 having to catch up and from what I've seen of it, (frozen screen artifacting at Best Buy with the sound blaring and frozen in a loop LOL), the PS3 better have L.T. moves and speed to get to the end zone.

VoodooChi|d said:

[\QUOTE]

Nope. This is a second gen game one of which runs super smooth on the system. I THINK it's still only using 1 of the 3 cores too.

Ok so I opened the ps3, the console it self is gorgeous - the picture it outputs is gross. Hooked it up thru a monster 1.3 HDMI cable to a samsung 50" dlp 1080p tv, Resistance looked like a cartoon - the textures didnt even appear to exist, and there was artifacting. The Will Farrel movie didnt appear to be high definition what-so-ever, it looked like I had just used the composite cables which came with the ps3. So far I'm highly disappointed, but it was tested on my buddies tv, I've got a 62" toshiba 1080p projector I'm about to go try it on.

inotocracy said:
Please do your laundry. :eek:

You think a guy who has enough free time and willpower to stand around in front of an electronics store for several days is likely to care about laundering his clothes?

OldSpice said:
Ok so I opened the ps3, the console it self is gorgeous - the picture it outputs is gross. Hooked it up thru a monster 1.3 HDMI cable to a samsung 50" dlp 1080p tv, Resistance looked like a cartoon - the textures didnt even appear to exist, and there was artifacting. The Will Farrel movie didnt appear to be high definition what-so-ever, it looked like I had just used the composite cables which came with the ps3. So far I'm highly disappointed, but it was tested on my buddies tv, I've got a 62" toshiba 1080p projector I'm about to go try it on.

wow that sucks..

krameriffic said:
You think a guy who has enough free time and willpower to stand around in front of an electronics store for several days is likely to care about laundering his clothes?

Oh crap, maybe that really does explain the black and white sock :p

movax said:

The Xbox 360 controller has a rumble feature and it's battery life is fine. I believe the Wii-mote is also supposed to have a rumble, and if Nintendo's track record is any indication (Game Boy/DS/Wavebird), I'm sure it's battery life will be fine.

Wii controller are supposed to have better rumble then the Xbox 360...

And I don´t know if this "hard to develope for wait five years work"

I mean the Wii is quite similar to the Gamecube extremely easy to model for... Now the launch titles hasn´t got exactly splendid reviews ether... About the same as the PS 3 titles...

Though for me if I would get a PS 3 I could as well get a Xbox 360... Pretty much the same controller means they will play about the same. Xbox 360 is cheaper and from what I can tell I can´t see any PS 3 graphics that explains why to pay twice as much for it...

zero002021 said:
The Xbox 360 controller has a rumble feature and it's battery life is fine. I believe the Wii-mote is also supposed to have a rumble, and if Nintendo's track record is any indication (Game Boy/DS/Wavebird), I'm sure it's battery life will be fine.

The Wii-mote battery life is rated at 60 hours with AA batteries..

oqvist said:
Now the launch titles hasn´t got exactly splendid reviews ether... About the same as the PS 3 titles...

Looking at GameRankings.com, it looks like the Wii games are faring BETTER than the PS3 titles, actually. I suppose this is somewhat skewed by the absolutely crappy Genji and Gundam, however and further skewed by Zelda on the Wii end. I donknow...all I need is Zelda, RedSteel, and ExciteTruck and I'll be happy for awhile!

I'd like to hear more.

Torn said:
Looking at GameRankings.com, it looks like the Wii games are faring BETTER than the PS3 titles, actually. I suppose this is somewhat skewed by the absolutely crappy Genji and Gundam, however and further skewed by Zelda on the Wii end. I donknow...all I need is Zelda, RedSteel, and ExciteTruck and I'll be happy for awhile!

Dont forget Metal Slug! Oh and I hear Wii Play is bundled with the Wiimote, so if you buy an extra one you get that as a bonus (it has 8 mini games). This is a PS3 thread though guys, should keep it on topic. :D

inotocracy said:
Dont forget Metal Slug! Oh and I hear Wii Play is bundled with the Wiimote, so if you buy an extra one you get that as a bonus (it has 8 mini games). This is a PS3 thread though guys, should keep it on topic. :D

Mmmm...Metal Slug...*ahem* Sorry about the derailing. I'm done now. I'm just disappointed nobody commented on my Saturn analogy. Anybody? Huh?

So far I love it.
Unfortunately, I've had some issues with the Home screen "freezing". It doesn't freeze per se like "ERRRRRRRRRRR" or something (lol), but it shows the loading icon on the upper right and never stops "loading", not even 5 minutes later. It doesn't recognize any input from the controller during this time, either. It's happened a good 3 times so far and I've had to resort to powering it off and turning it back on.

But yeah, I love it so far. Fuck selling it... if anything, I can always decide to sell it for the Xmas season.

The18thLetter said:
So far I love it.
Unfortunately, I've had some issues with the Home screen "freezing". It doesn't freeze per se like "ERRRRRRRRRRR" or something (lol), but it shows the loading icon on the upper right and never stops "loading", not even 5 minutes later. It doesn't recognize any input from the controller during this time, either. It's happened a good 3 times so far and I've had to resort to powering it off and turning it back on.

But yeah, I love it so far. Fuck selling it... if anything, I can always decide to sell it for the Xmas season.

Ugh. I think I'm going to wait for the 2nd revision so that these bugs get ironed out.

Is the thing as quiet as everyone says? What about load times?

OldSpice said:
Make sure it's hooked up/set up correctly...

I rented Madden and Resistance.

Not so impressed with the games. Resistance is a decent FPS but it does not do anything new. The graphics are decent but they are on par with COD2 which was a launch 360 game. Madden is Madden but my friend tells me it runs smoother on PS3.

I am impressed with the Blu Ray player. It works exceptionally well (very responsive and fluid) and the options and displayed info is really nice. The system is just about silent too.

One thing I can not do is get the thing to play through the surround speakers. I select DD 5.1 and still nothing. This is starting to bother me.

OldSpice said:

I've heard stories like this before and I've seen pics of Ridge Racer glitching beyond all recognition in the middle of a race.

I expect that these launch units are going to suffer the same problems that Microsoft had to deal with last year. Rushed launches aren't funny, regardless of the manufacturer.

Back