ps3 HDMI output to DVD-I or VGA ??

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok so I hooked up my PS3 to my SDTV and it looks ok but I want hi res.
I want to hook it up to my LCD monitor but can't find the right adaptor ?
(My lcd monitor only has VGA input)

This morning I bought an HDMI to DVI cable at radioshack.
Then I was going to use my DVI-VGA adaptor that came with my videocard
and connect a regular VGA cable between that and the monitor.

Well the cable I got at radioshack is HDMI to DVI-D.
And the adaptor that came with my videocard is DVI-I to VGA.
So of course it won't work. I just talked to Fry's electronics and they said
they don't have anything like that. Only HDMI to DVD-D like radioshack.
Anyone know where you can get HDMI to DVD-I or even HDMI to VGA ?
:(

Will that work ?
Take a digital HDMI input through a DVI-I/VGA adaptor ?
Is it that simple ? I was told there is some math that needs to be done ?
Home theater store told me I needed a box that cost $200! :eek:

If that's all I need awesome.
;)

Ok after reading wiki I believe that's it.
Thanks again.

Ok now I'm confused again.
Does the DVI-I to VGA adaptor assume the DVI-I is being fed analog or does it matter ?
That's the problem. It needs to convert from digital to analog. If those $20 adaptors do it, I'll be very happy.

That is just an adapter that hooks upto a HDMI female and changes to DVI-I female. So you would need a DVI cable on top of the adapter? Hook up the DVI cable to your monitor with your video card adapter you have... Or hook up the monitor cable with DVI-I adapter to the linked adapter?

I don't know if your playstation has HDMI Female end? I think so...

Stereophile said:
Ok now I'm confused again.
Does the DVI-I to VGA adaptor assume the DVI-I is being fed analog or does it matter ?
That's the problem. It needs to convert from digital to analog. If those $20 adaptors do it, I'll be very happy.

Why can you use an adapter on a video card? Converting it so you can use Analog with Digital?

I'm pretty sure HDMI is digital only, so I don't think a simple HDMI to DVI-I adapter will work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
...Type A HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface carrying digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A)...

Also, the pin spec doesn't show any analog pins. I've got an HDMI to DVI adapter, and it doesn't have any of the analog pins. Only the pins for single link DVI-D.

To make this work, you'd need some sort of transcoder to convert the digital signal to analog. One of those would probably cost more than buying a new monitor with VGA and DVI inputs, though.

JBark said:
To make this work, you'd need some sort of transcoder to convert the digital signal to analog.

That's what I'm thinking. It would make far more sense to take an output from the AV Multiout.

ie, look for a PS2---> VGA cable.

Apparently, the ps3 uses the same cables as the ps2. So--- any of those third party VGA cables should work fine. No need to go through HDMI. (never actually used a ps2 vga cable though)

Video cards come with DVI -> VGA adapters because a DVI connector already has pins for VGA built-in and video cards have these pins wired up to the VGA output.

HDMI does not have analog video out pins, so there is no possible way to get analog VGA from an HDMI port.

Stereophile said:
If I go composite to VGA I don't get high res do I ?
Nope, but component to VGA will give you HD. Those you can probably find for a more reasonable price. Something like the X2VGA 2 would probably work:
http://www.x2vga.com/

PS3 does have component video, it just doesn't come with the cables. Even PS2 had component video and you can also use your PS2 component cables on your PS3.

You need to buy the special cables. You see your composite cables, notice how they aren't regular composite cables, one side is a proprietary AV plug, same with the component cables. You need to buy Sony or 3rd Party component cables.

See google images

Gatecrasher3 said:
cant you just use a hdmi to dvi adaptor?
thats what i plan on doing.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression from reports on the web that the HDMI interface on the PS3 _required_ HDCP at all times, not just when viewing BR material. That's lame, and it also means that your monitor's DVI input needs to support HDCP (ie, it a DVI-HDCP input).

That also rules out this "DVI->VGA" trick from working. You're stuck with component->VGA, at best.

erwos said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression from reports on the web that the HDMI interface on the PS3 _required_ HDCP at all times, not just when viewing BR material. That's lame, and it also means that your monitor's DVI input needs to support HDCP (ie, it a DVI-HDCP input).

That also rules out this "DVI->VGA" trick from working. You're stuck with component->VGA, at best.
That's not what stops DVI -> VGA. DVI outputs on video cards have actual analog VGA pins on them so you can use a DVI -> VGA adapter. HDMI does not physically have analog VGA pins, so when you go HDMI -> DVI, there's no possible way to get analog VGA out of it.

kumquat said:
That's not what stops DVI -> VGA. DVI outputs on video cards have actual analog VGA pins on them so you can use a DVI -> VGA adapter. HDMI does not physically have analog VGA pins, so when you go HDMI -> DVI, there's no possible way to get analog VGA out of it.
Yep.

See those 4-pins offset on a DVI connector? Those are for analog. HDMI lacks these, so you can't do DVI->HDMI->VGA. The DVI connector on your videocard for example, usually has every single pin populated. (Female DVI-I) Your DVI display on the other hand probably has a female DVI-D slot.

DVI-I = Analog & Digital
DVI-A = Analog Only (very, very rare)
DVI-D = Digital only

Your best option as said before would be component -> VGA, or a new monitor.

kumquat said:
Not really, but I understand why you misinterpreted me. I was _not_ talking about the DVI-I/DVI-A -> VGA converter (BTW, DVI doesn't have the VGA pins - it has RGB pins and a ground). Theoretically, all you need is a digital-to-analog converter to go from DVI-D to VGA. HDCP tosses a wrench in the mix - the converter itself can't be HDCP compatible, since it transfers the signal into analog, which is an unprotected path. Thus, the PS3 is going to see a broken HDCP path, and won't output over HDMI at all, no matter what you do.

Back