PS3 Hacker Runs Away to South America

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a fantastic way to *not* help your case...fleeing to South America. Kinda sad, he had everyone in his corner and then pulls something like this. :( Someone needs to post a link in the comments to that embarrassing rap video he made taunting Sony.

SCEA learned that Hotz had deliberately removed integral components of his impounded hard drives prior to delivering them to a third party neutral and that Hotz is now in South America, an excuse for why he will not immediately provide the components of his hard drives as requested by the neutral.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9iUvuaChDEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well given that the judge was on a roll giving Sony everything they wanted, he must have seen the writing on the wall. I'd rather be in Rio than behind bars for some stupid crap too.

Integral components? What did he do, remove a transistor or two? or the platters?

I'd rather be in Rio than behind bars for some stupid crap too.

He wouldn't go to jail. It's not a criminal case.

Integral components? What did he do, remove a transistor or two? or the platters?

that's what I'm wondering as well. Sounds like he left as an excuse to buy himself some time.

and the plot thickens.

I still can't figure out 2 things....
First, why does Sony even care this much?
Second, why has the judge been sucking Sony off so much on every ruling?

it's Sony's style... they like having complete control of their products and want to make an example out of anyone thinking of doing something like this again in the future.

They have unlimited resources and good lawyers

Doesn't really matter how much of the internet community he has for moral support; if the judge is willing to give Sony everything they want, he's screwed if he stays in America.

Doesn't really matter how much of the internet community he has for moral support; if the judge is willing to give Sony everything they want, he's screwed if he stays in America.

not necessarily. He can appeal the decision... that's assuming that he doesn't run out of money first though.

Yeeah I don't really blame him. This case was bought and paid for by Sony.

Despite his actions, it's not putting anyone on Sony's side off the fence.

Exactly. Regardless of whether or not what this guy did was wrong they are just being so ridiculous about it that I will have a hard time considering buying Sony in the future.

OK i kinda get whats going on here but why does him having a psn account matter?

Means at some point he agreed to sonys BS.. half the basis of his case was that since he never agreed to sonys new terms, he was still in the green to freely do what he wanted..

OK i kinda get whats going on here but why does him having a psn account matter?

GeoHots lawyers want the case in NJ, Sony wants it in Northern CA. Him agreeing to the TOS of PSN pretty much say's that he's agreeing to be sued in the district of Northern CA

Already shown to be fake. He's on vacation, plus he doesn't have to show his face in court. You don't FLEE civil cases; there's no prison to flee. You don't even have to show up to court.

Also, notice how every story parrots arguments Sony made in court and ignore Hotz' lawyers' rebuttals? Yeah...

At least Gamespy and The Escapist got some cash for it. The rest of the people re-posting it are just sheep.

Why do you defend the Geppetto that pulls your strings?

And the judge has basically rubberstamped Sony's every request so far, to the vehement protests of his lawyer. Judge Spero is a fucking shameful disgrace to quality jurists everywhere.

it's Sony's style... they like having complete control of their products and want to make an example out of anyone thinking of doing something like this again in the future.

They have unlimited resources and good lawyers
The funny thing is, you guys can't answer his question. There's obviously, clearly no profit, right? Surely Sony is doing something beyond our minds, I mean, come on. Questions have been raised and presented in the past about other things (government, politics, business) and everyone simply sought for a way to shutdown any and all arguments by presenting a question to which they had no answer to (even though it doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong or that there isn't an answer that concretely supports their side).

QUESTION: Why would they do that?

The two critical elements of that question is the question itself and 'why'. Why is always difficult to answer, sometimes (perhaps in most cases?) technically impossible since nobody is God and knows everything and because truth can be so well hidden and/or diluted it's impossible to make any kind of judgement or really take sides.

The reality is that in most, if not all cases, the truth behind a situation is often far more complicated and deep that the majority of people (even here, myself included) than that people are willing to dig for and understand. In almost all cases, everyone is merely touching on the surface of the matter with good chances that they're making inaccurate and imprecise judgments. Question: why even make a judgment or take sides then?

You can touch on the surface of something extremely lightly by skimming an article.
You can touch on the surface of something lightly by reading an article.
You can touch on the surface of something by doing some Googling.
You can touch below the surface of something by spending a college semester researching and writing a paper about said topic.
You can touch deeper by dedicating half a year to a couple years of your life literally solely on said topic.
You can touch deeper by doing a Masters thesis paper that is over 320 pages long on said topic.
You can touch deeper by focusing and concentrating the rest of your entire life on said topic.

And then when you take a few steps back and look at this picture, that 'topic' is so small amidst everything that you could possibly dedicate the rest of your life in hardcore, passionate research to that it would be like try to hit a 3.5" harddrive that is over a trillion lightyears away dead-on bullseye with a 9mm projectile.

So really, how much "looking into" and research does it really take, why and how does it matter, and what's it really worth? Ultimately, we're just a bunch of fools discussing at the level of gossip unless we dedicate our entire lives passionately to said topic (or sub-topic even). I've seen documentaries that are many hours long, where the ENTIRE documentary focuses on something so very specific and small (in comparison to everything else) that it's unbelievable how detailed you can get in explaining and sharing information and data about such a relatively insignificant, invisible, small thing.

With that said, this is one major reason I stay out of arguments and debates. (Second reason would be that my brain is extremely poor at outputting data into a written/drawn/spoken medium that would also be effective, strong, constructed, and convincing.)

noobs.

GeoHots lawyers want the case in NJ, Sony wants it in Northern CA. Him agreeing to the TOS of PSN pretty much say's that he's agreeing to be sued in the district of Northern CA

Not true. The TOS list the rights of the firmware for Sony Japan, not the SCEA. Two different companies and SCEA is the one suing. So if anything this may favor Geohot.

From what I read of the article Its not yet been proved that he did have a PSN account. One of his machines was used to access the PSN by an IP address near his location. The IP address might not have been his just as the account might not have been his.

I'd also like to know was the account still valid when he 'hacked' the PS3. If not the the ToS might not apply.

A google search linked the PSN username to phone hacking, something hes done in the past. I guess being someone who hacks devices its illogical to think he might know others who engage in similar activities.

If it were a criminal case i doubt this would be enough 'proof' but I guess it doesn't really matter as the judge only seems to need Sony''s word that hes guilty.

Sony is competing w/ Apple as to who can get the most lawyers and judges on their side. :(

From what I read of the article Its not yet been proved that he did have a PSN account. One of his machines was used to access the PSN by an IP address near his location. The IP address might not have been his just as the account might not have been his.

I'd also like to know was the account still valid when he 'hacked' the PS3. If not the the ToS might not apply.

A google search linked the PSN username to phone hacking, something hes done in the past. I guess being someone who hacks devices its illogical to think he might know others who engage in similar activities.

If it were a criminal case i doubt this would be enough 'proof' but I guess it doesn't really matter as the judge only seems to need Sony''s word that hes guilty.

agreed, it doesn't really prove anything. It's just circumstantial as of now but I have a feeling that it wont matter anyway unless his lawyers have a trick up their sleeves. This is hopefully going to end up in the supreme court

Not true. The TOS list the rights of the firmware for Sony Japan, not the SCEA. Two different companies and SCEA is the one suing. So if anything this may favor Geohot.

isn't SCEA just the amercian branch of Sony? While optimistic, I don't think that's going to matter if that is indeed the case.

why take he drives apart just encrypt them and hand them over. if they ask for the password tell them to fark off.

hmm secure erase is the only way to keep his info safe. Your talking about the gov you really think encryption is an issue for them

Cause it does hurt the PS3 platform. Developers have a hard time seeing the PS3 as a viable source of income, and with these hacks, it'll just push them further away.

If the PS3 is going to last 10 years, this is going to kill it prematurely. Not that it would the soul reason for the PS3's death. That would be the ridiculous launch price, and the lack of AAA games.
Cause courts favor corporations, and people with expensive lawyers.

How can you take up SO MUCH internet space in this post and still not be relevant?

Who do you think the courts are the gov. And they can get those drives read in a heartbeat.

In civil cases you have to pay for your own forensics. Not saying Sony does not have access to people that can do it, just that the government will not be the the ones doing it.

Any chance the guy might have had in this is gone. Tampering with evidence is a guilty flag. Going to a foreign country is not really that big a deal in a CIVIL case as long as you make your court appearances.

encrypting the files doesn't make any sense.. we are talking about Sony.. if they have the money to pay expensive lawyers to proof a point they will fork the money to pay a third party company and get the files. Good Luck to this guy because this is going to be a long process.

LOL At all the idiots here posting out of emotion and saying they were going to contribute to his defense fund. HE JUST TOOK YOUR MONEY AND DONE RAN! :p

Lets get this right. He did not run to another country, George Hotz is on a vacation. Some asshole site put that up to generate traffic to themselves.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/geohot-flees-south-america-83925/

In a lame attempt to direct traffic to their pathetic websites, a website has reported that Geohot has "fled" the country after court documents reveal a PSN account alleged to belong to him. Normally, we would not report on something so completely ridiculous but, unfortunately, this nonsense is starting to spread to mainstream websites.

Hotz is currently on vacation in a South American country. As common sense would dictate, there is no reason to "flee" from a civil case. These sites have based their claims on misinterpretations of the court documents and an image (see below) posted on Geohot's blog. Way to put two and two together, guys!

In the future, we recommend only getting your news from reputable sites, not random video game blogs. When there's something real to report on the case, you''ll read it here, as always. For the record, we are referring to the original source of the article, which is some random video game blog, not any of the other scene sites who posted it. It's not their fault they got duped. Even legit mainstream news sites are posting it now. Unfortunately, this could have serious consequences on the case, even though it a total fabrication.

UPDATE: IGN has received a comment on this false story from Stewart Kellar, Hotz's attorney, who confirms he is in constant contact with Geohot in regards to the case.

So he put up donation links to help fund his lawyer costs and yet he has the money to go on "vacation"? Anyone want to donate to me so I can go on "vacation' too? Lol.

UPDATE: IGN has received a comment on this false story from Stewart Kellar, Hotz's attorney, who confirms he is in constant contact with Geohot in regards to the case.
Ooo...looks like Hotz might be able to fund the rest of his case with a libel suit against The Escapist, Gamespy, and maybe even Sony.

I can understand the donation links...all the greasy leeches taking from his work, profiting from what he's done. Damn right he should receive donations!

As for the vacation? Guy deserves one, he works just like everyone else...and South America isn't expensive by any means.

I see no problem in a Vacation or even taking money. While I have not always approved of Hotz I hope he can get out of this lawsuit with a better world for all jailbreakers.

Red flag when reading "news" on a "blog". If the English is full of bad grammar, your odds of it being actual factual news is pretty low.

"After the judge demanded George Hotz gives in his devices and hard drives"

"GeoHot has finally been caught out."

Caught out?

"Sony continued that even without his PSN account breach evidence"

PSN account breach evidence? Engrish at it's best.

"Oh, boy; it’s going off big now."

Going off big now? WTF does that even mean?

I'll wait until there is something more than this from his attorney (the Wired story from the PSX-Scene link above) and then post an update.

&#8220;Hotz conveniently traveled to South America in the midst of jurisdictional discovery, including his court-ordered deposition,&#8221; Sony said.

&#8220;I don&#8217;t want to comment on that stuff,&#8221; Kellar said. &#8220;He has done nothing to make himself unavailable.&#8221;

I want this to be false too but being out of the country and not responding to this is really hurting GeoHotz right now. He KNOWS about all these articles, his attorney has told him, so let's see how he responds.

Trust me, I would not be sitting on "vacation" and let Sony smear me like this...

Last edited:
Back