PS3:From Price cut to cancelled in record time

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS3 ugly?

that's a stretch

I don't think so. Now, to be fair, it's not as butt-ass ugly as the PS2 fat or the original Xbox, but it's pretty damn ugly, definitely the least attractive system of the current generation. And of course, it's *monolithic*, on top of the ugliness. I'm not worried about it, though, I'm sure that, much as with the PS2 slim, the PS3 slim will improve matters a great deal.

I don't think so. Now, to be fair, it's not as butt-ass ugly as the PS2 fat or the original Xbox, but it's pretty damn ugly, definitely the least attractive system of the current generation. And of course, it's *monolithic*, on top of the ugliness. I'm not worried about it, though, I'm sure that, much as with the PS2 slim, the PS3 slim will improve matters a great deal.

Id strongly disagree. First thing ppl notice is how shiny and upscale the PS3 looks. Might be huge, but its sexy. Xbox has its ugly white. Wii just looks like...a tilted cdrom drive. PS3 is definitely the best looking device of the new 3. But beauty is all relative and in the eye of the beholder.

i think sony's strategy is correct, but it's definitely gonna annoy consumers with their quick announcements... although i cant say i wasnt expecting it... since the uk version was already utilizing software emulation

it all makes sense... with the 60 gb's ps2 core adding to the cost, itd be cheaper for them to produce the 80 gb version... adding to this thought is that they will need to announce another price cut for the holiday season... so all in all, they can move out the remainder of their 60 gbs... by boosting sales a bit with a lower price point... and then when the holiday season comes around the corner, offer ANOTHER price cut for an even better deal... an 80 gig version

but regardless, this annoys me... since i just picked one up... now the comparison for me is... is the 60 gb's ps2 emoticon engine equivalent in value to 20 gigs of hd space?

i dont plan on dling much... unless the downloadable content skyrockets... but what about for you?

Wow, very interesting. The only one I would have wanted to get was the 60GB version with the better backwards compatibility.

I think what this says is that they just can't afford to truely move to the lower price yet. The systems just cost them too much to manufacture. They were just trying to get a little jump in sales in the short term.

Could be worse. Here in Europe we're not getting a price cut at all. :mad:

May end up being more drama for you guys...

No one really will buy it anyway when you can get a 360 that has better game's and better media... Damn Sony... They really messed up with the PS3

Ok there Mr. fanboy, lets be objective. The 360 has more games because it's been out longer and developpers are more familiar with it. Better media? You mean HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray or better viewable multimedia? If it's physical media that is yet to be decided, Blu Ray is still very new with the PS3. If it's viewable media, see my point about PS3 age vs. 360 age.

They havent messed up with the PS3, they're in the same boat as the 360 was when it launched. It takes time to build up a platform.. go play Gears in the meantime.

Id strongly disagree. First thing ppl notice is how shiny and upscale the PS3 looks. Might be huge, but its sexy. Xbox has its ugly white. Wii just looks like...a tilted cdrom drive. PS3 is definitely the best looking device of the new 3. But beauty is all relative and in the eye of the beholder.

We can disagree on aesthetics, it's all good, my friend. IMHO the PS3 doesn't look "upscale", it looks like that cheap, shiny, lacquered furniture they sell at those "discount" furniture retailers :p. Just my opinion though, I simply find it fugly and cheap looking. to be fair, I think the 360 is almost as ugly, though, and the Wii looks elegant and simple.

and the Wii looks elegant and simple.

Lets not turn this into "this console looks best" because, as someone said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally do not find the Wii to look 'elegant' and I'm sure someone would promptly come along and bash my argument.

Lets not turn this into "this console looks best" because, as someone said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally do not find the Wii to look 'elegant' and I'm sure someone would promptly come along and bash my argument.

I don't think anyone was turning it into that, we were just commenting on aesthetics, no big deal. Time to switch to Decaf, bro! :D

What would be the difference in performance of PS1 or PS2 games on a PS3 with and without the Emotion Engine (or would old games simply not run...not sure how good the new software emulation performs)?

For better or worse, I suppose this forces my hand...if I had a choice between a 60GB PS3 with the EE and an 80GB without the EE, I'd rather have the former. Just in case.

What would be the difference in performance of PS1 or PS2 games on a PS3 with and without the Emotion Engine (or would old games simply not run...not sure how good the new software emulation performs)?

on Sony's europe site they have a breakdown of what games work (and to what extent) with the emulation.

http://tinyurl.com/2u3uwp

Ok after my initial reaction that this is a dick move by Sony I’ve come to the conclusion that if they drop the price on the 80gb model after the 60gb model sells out its genius. It’s the best way to keep sales strong.

I want a PS3 but I don’t know how soon the 80gb price cut is going to be. If it within a couple months then I have no problem waiting as you get the larger hard drive and Motorstorm included. I dont need the EE either.

I really can’t see Sony not dropping the price again after watching how fast the PS3’s are being sold since the price cut.

Ok after my initial reaction that this is a dick move by Sony I’ve come to the conclusion that if they drop the price on the 80gb model after the 60gb model sells out its genius. It’s the best way to keep sales strong.

I want a PS3 but I don’t know how soon the 80gb price cut is going to be. If it within a couple months then I have no problem waiting as you get the larger hard drive and Motorstorm included. I dont need the EE either.

I really can’t see Sony not dropping the price again after watching how fast the PS3’s are being sold since the price cut.

I like sony and them doing this would be just fine if not great. If they however raise the price back up then are just stupid.

Guys, the price will be down again before the holiday season. They need to get rid of all the 60 giggers sitting around in warehouses before they can drop the price on the 80gb PS3s (which are cheaper to manufacture anyway)

Don't flip out, $599 will be a memory by the holiday season.

from a strategic standpoint, sony will 100% drop the price of the 80 gb version for the holiday rush... and its very UNlikely that itll be bundled with any extras... the 80 gb should sell decently @ 500...

I’ve come to the conclusion that if they drop the price on the 80gb model after the 60gb model sells out its genius.
There's a theory there, but it wont work. People are going to look at it and say.. $100 price drop to $499, it was already $499. This isn't like the 20gb model that no-one ever saw.

Plus of course the media will utterly backlash them for it because they frankly just seem to be waiting for an opportunity.

I really don't see how establishing a policy of introducing and eliminating new models on an 8 month cycle, dropping and then re-raising the price, thus pissing off the folks who adopted at your high price only to find out they could have gotten the same for less or more for the same price they paid could be considered "genius".

I think "Dickish" is definitely an adequate adjective :p

I think they run a real danger of conditioning their potential buyers into thinking that if they wait just a little longer, the price will drop again and something else will come out.

Guys, the price will be down again before the holiday season. They need to get rid of all the 60 giggers sitting around in warehouses before they can drop the price on the 80gb PS3s (which are cheaper to manufacture anyway)

Don't flip out, $599 will be a memory by the holiday season.

Oh *that* makes it better.

LOL, talk about your bait and switch. "Hey guys, Price cut! Oh wait, NOT!" :p

And both launch models of the Playstation 3 platform bite the dust...8 *months* later.

it's the CPU / GPU from the Playstation 2, for backwards compatibility. By taking it out, they relegate backwards compatibility to a buggy and unreliable software emulation.

ahh so i guess i wanna get the 60gb model before they run out...

For me its annoying because eventually I wan't a PS3 when the library is much bigger and the price is around $300 to $400. Removing that feature sucks because I do want to play some of my old PS2 games on it and I want the best BC. If BC sucks in about a year I don't think I'll buy a PS3 at all.

No, his analysis is flawed and incorrect. Software emulation will still cover the VAST majority of titles, and it'll make it easier to apply things like upscaling and filtering (AA/AS) to the older titles. It's a *good* thing, and it'll lead to PS3 becoming more reasonably priced. At least, you know, for a couple weeks at a time, periodically :p

No, his analysis is flawed and incorrect. Software emulation will still cover the VAST majority of titles, and it'll make it easier to apply things like upscaling and filtering (AA/AS) to the older titles. It's a *good* thing, and it'll lead to PS3 becoming more reasonably priced. At least, you know, for a couple weeks at a time, periodically :p

Honestly, I hope you are right. I hope they do more to make its BC better. I do like the idea of upscaling my PS2 games . . . when I get an HDTV, of course.

I really don't see how establishing a policy of introducing and eliminating new models on an 8 month cycle, dropping and then re-raising the price, thus pissing off the folks who adopted at your high price only to find out they could have gotten the same for less or more for the same price they paid could be considered "genius".

I think "Dickish" is definitely an adequate adjective :p

I just mean genius in the sense that it will keep moving units out the door, but I sure as hell hope they don’t start making this a habit. It seems like a good strategy before the holidays and it probably is prone to piss a couple people off.

This all assumes they actually drop the price on the 80gb model.

its confusing the hell out of the general customer. that's what its going to do.

"wait, it was $500 just a week ago. what happened to that model?"

I just mean genius in the sense that it will keep moving units out the door, but I sure as hell hope they don’t start making this a habit. It seems like a good strategy before the holidays and it probably is prone to piss a couple people off.

I'm sure it will. In the office today folks are talking about it and the general consensus is "Fuck PS3", so...yeah. It's weird that out of an office full of IT geeks only one of us even *wants* a PS3 right now, and the one who wants it, has it. Of course, he's pissed because he paid $600 for his a month before the price cut :p

Slim edition and price cut, come on $ony! :D

Larf. Before launch, "$600 is too expensive" creates the $500 model. Yoink. "$600 is too expensive" creates a price cut. Yoink. Does ANYONE think Sony isn't going to do this again? Sony wants to sell the PS3 for $600 and has essentially told the market they can take it or leave it.

Before I get flamed, I don't give a shit about MS/Sony/Nintendo. I have a Wii because I found the controls intriguing (though the library is very meh at this point) and because WiiSports fits my idea of the proper role of console games (ADHD type games that you play for 20 minutes at a time).

It irks me because I was waiting for a larger title selection (specifically Tekken 6, Tekken Tag 2, and Final Fantasy XIII), however the loss of the Emotion Engine upsets me since I still enjoy a large amount of my PS2 games. Although I could technically still use my PS2 to play them, it'd be much nicer to run them on the PS3 with upscaled graphics.

The only thing that has me on the edge is whether or not they'll be upgrading their software emulation to run more games/provide better visuals; or if you want a chance at running all your old games, you had better get a model of the PS3 with the Emotion Engine.

Does anyone know if the Emotion Engine in combination with the PS3 already allows for better graphics (AA smoothing, etc) on PS1 or PS2 games or if that's purely a result of the software emulation?

at this point, one has to ask themselves:

Can sony do anything to avoid a write-off of inventory?

They *had* to imagine that the machine was going to sell like hotcakes. Just look at their attitude all along. Given that, do they have a warehouse loaded to the gills with PS3's? They're doing anything they can to make this machine as appealing as possible without changing the machine itself.

The reason the slim version of the PS2 worked is because the thing was selling like crazy and inventory was easy to move. If they went slim now, I imagine they'd have a shit-ton of inventory to eather have a fire sale on or just drop in a landfill somewhere for Godzilla to torch to bits.

LOL! As if even 20GB was ever going to not be enough, they are now adding more disk space (which costs virtually nothing in this world) and are using it as an excuse to jack the price again. Brilliant.

If they went slim now, I imagine they'd have a shit-ton of inventory to eather have a fire sale on or just drop in a landfill somewhere for Godzilla to torch to bits.

I could get behind that, though, I think the world is long overdue for some Godzilla torching action :)

They are basically trying to find reasons to jack the price back to 600. Its like gas prices with sony basically lol

Peter Moore On PS3 Price Cut

Microsoft's Peter Moore feels Sony must lower the price of PS3 by a higher amount if it is to be considered an actual price cut.

Microsoft’s head of Interactive Entertainment Business division, Peter Moore, has said that he considers Sony’s PlayStation 3 price discount as a means of offering added value for the same price, rather than an actual price reduction.

“Interestingly, I didn't see a price cut, and I must have been reading the wrong thing. It's still USD 499 and USD 599”, said Moore during an interview with Gamesindustry.biz this week. "They've added greater value in the form primarily of storage at the same price points."

Sony is now offering consumers the option of purchasing a cheaper 60GB model for USD 499, or alternatively, a 80GB version, which includes a copy of the game MotorStorm for the original 60GB price of USD 599.

However, Moore feels that the company would need to lower the price by a more substantial number to qualify as a price cut: "They've added greater value at the same prices. Which to me is not a price cut. I don't want to be anal, but I read "price cut" and I expected to see USD 399," he added. "When I hear the words "price cut" I expect to see a price cut."

Lastly, despite recent claims from Sony’s Jack Tretton that sales have doubled in major retailers across the U.S, Moore stated that it is ultimately down to the consumers to make up their own minds on whether the price is low enough. "I did see Nintendo's George Harrison saying that it's ineffective, but the consumer will vote on that. Jack [Tretton] did say, anecdotally, that their sales have doubled [since the price cut], so we shall see," concluded Moore.

Even the competitor is complaining lol.

Even the competitor is complaining lol.

No offense, but 100 dollars off is not a price cut?
Take out even if they do not make any more 60gb version for a second.
What is a price cut if taking 100 dollars off is not? Really...:rolleyes:

No offense, but 100 dollars off is not a price cut?
Take out even if they do not make any more 60gb version for a second.
What is a price cut if taking 100 dollars off is not? Really...:rolleyes:

They didn't take $100 off, they discontinued a model and to do so reduced its price to liquidate the stock. They then released another model with slightly more value at the SAME price point. In the long run they have added value, not reduced price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back