PS3 For Sale IN STORE at Walmart (Chicago Area)

AlbeeC13

Weaksauce
I'm at work right now, but a friend from work was just at the Wal-mart on Touhy in Skokie. He said while he was there they had several boxes full of sony PS3s behind a service desk area. Apparently they got in a shipment, but there weren't people lined up for them or anything (probably due to people no longer trying to find one anymore). I guess people were calling in trying to get them to hold systems, but they refused.

My friend says they weren't forcing a bundle purchase either, but that I'm not so sure about. So if you're on the market for one, you may want to start hitting up some Walmarts, as I'm sure they're not the only one that got some.

I was tempted to take a ride over there and grab one to re-sell (I'm extremely happy with my Wii) but I figure it's not worth the pain in the ass. Just a heads up. Let me know if anyone found one!

How many did you get?

I work at a Target, and we have been getting them, in very small amounts. We had six at launch, and since have gotten two more shipments. One shipment was for Black Friday, and we got 4 consoles. 1x 20GB and 3x 60GB. We got another shipment earlier this week, two 60GB systems. They are still coming... but they disapear quick and we won't hold them at all.

AlbeeC13 said:
I'm at work right now, but a friend from work was just at the Wal-mart on Touhy in Skokie. He said while he was there they had several boxes full of sony PS3s behind a service desk area. Apparently they got in a shipment, but there weren't people lined up for them or anything (probably due to people no longer trying to find one anymore). I guess people were calling in trying to get them to hold systems, but they refused.

My friend says they weren't forcing a bundle purchase either, but that I'm not so sure about. So if you're on the market for one, you may want to start hitting up some Walmarts, as I'm sure they're not the only one that got some.

I was tempted to take a ride over there and grab one to re-sell (I'm extremely happy with my Wii) but I figure it's not worth the pain in the ass. Just a heads up. Let me know if anyone found one!

People only line up if Walmart puts them in their circular. Otherwise its a free for all. Its the same with the Wii. I picked mine up walking right into a store and asking. They told me they only get lines if its been advertised they are getting units.

Another Walmart had them in stock today too- Chicago NW side- I happened to be there Wii hunting for my family and saw 2 PS3's- the salesman was really nice, he said they had been in the case for 45 mins and I was the first to see them. They were both the 60gb versions. I'm giving it to my husband for Christmas only letting him open it tonight and he can decide if he wants to keep it or not. :) He will be really excited. :D

Viper87227 said:
How many did you get?

I wasn't there, so I'm not sure how many they got. He said it was something like 2 boxes full, about 4 feet square by 3 feet deep? How many PS3s can you fit in that?

Apparently they had quite a few still there but he heard people calling in for them.

I called every Wal-Mart in my area. None had any, or have recieved any since launch. All of them had 6 on launch day. Guess Sony doesn't care about Mid-Western Ohio :D lol.

My walmart in petoskey michigan had 2 ps3's yesterday. Both 20 gig models. They were annoucing it over the PA, honestly it wasnt looking like anyone was gonna bite. I had the cash but knew i wouldnt play it and it;d be a pain to sell.

Viper87227 said:
How many did you get?

I work at a Target, and we have been getting them, in very small amounts. We had six at launch, and since have gotten two more shipments. One shipment was for Black Friday, and we got 4 consoles. 1x 20GB and 3x 60GB. We got another shipment earlier this week, two 60GB systems. They are still coming... but they disapear quick and we won't hold them at all.

what's the rules if you work there? Can the guys who unload the trucks over night just wait outside the door after their shift is over, walk into the store soon as it opens, and buy one?

Does anyone have any sales numbers for 20gb vs. 60gb consoles?

I had a conversation with a friend of mine that the 20gb PS3 would either be a desperation purchase or a "misinformation" purchase due to it's lack of features, and I want to see how the numbers compare.

pigpen said:
what's the rules if you work there? Can the guys who unload the trucks over night just wait outside the door after their shift is over, walk into the store soon as it opens, and buy one?

Technically, yes.. but it would be quite an effort. Rules are that you cannot be on the clock OR in uniform. Basically, no one around you can know your an employee. Also, they cannot be held, for anyone, employee or customer. If an employee wants one, they have to be able to snag it off the shelf during store hours. So, technically a backroom guy could stock them, but then he would have to be off the clock at 8AM when we opened, and changed, just to buy it. Wouldn't be too easy. We haven't had anyone do it yet. Two employees there got one, myself and another guy, but we waited outside for two days to get them... so it was fair play.

K600 said:
...or for people who have the handy knowledge of how to swap in 120GB HDDs.

Aye. The 20GB model is actually the more appealing model to me. If I get one, it would be that one. For starting off, 20GB would be enough storage. I've never maxed out my 360. If I needed more space, I could upgrade that. I could not give a rats ass about the media ports, so that just leaves wifi... and all wifi would mean is one less wire, since the system will be close to my router.

Also, I happen to think the all black 20GB unit looks better. So, better looking and $100 less in exchange for loosing things I dont even care about... Methinks that is an easy choice.

K600 said:
...or for people who have the handy knowledge of how to swap in 120GB HDDs.

Thats what i did. Swapped in a 2.5" 120gb the day after i got mine.

I dont need wifi or a card reader so im happy.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything that actually needs that much space? Is PS3 release demo's like 360 is?

There could be reasons in the future to get a larger drive. Not to mention picture, music, and video storage. Also, if you install linux on it you need to install it on a partition on the internal HD, so more space is useful for that.

Basically you can get a 120gb at newegg for around 100, which is the price difference between the 20 and the 60, and there are instructions in the ps3 manual telling you how to swap it out.

The best reason to get the 60 is the PSP integration, if you don't have a PSP and don't have to have wireless then the 20 is probably the better choice.

Jiffylush said:
The best reason to get the 60 is the PSP integration, if you don't have a PSP and don't have to have wireless then the 20 is probably the better choice.

You can do that through the USB ports.

Lord Nassirbannipal said:
You can do that through the USB ports.

Boo. To me its worth $100 to not have to connect it via USB, or use an Ethernet cable. The media card slots I can do without. I won't buy the 20GB version because I want the WiFi. When I finally bring home a PS3 the last thing I want to do is worry about how I am going to run cable across my house to get it up and runnng.

ellover009 said:
you also miss out on wifi and media slots.

So I get a USB WiFi adapter for $30~50. The media ports...eh. If I need to transfer pics digitally, I'll do it via the HDD.

Viper87227 said:
Just out of curiosity, is there anything that actually needs that much space? Is PS3 release demo's like 360 is?
Theres no 50mb cap on DLC so that might get used a lot more. But Demos are about the same. Personally I plan on storing videos and music on an external drive attached to the ps3, and using the game demos on the ps3 hdd. Gonna get the 320GB western digital book drive supplementing my 60GB. (I would prefer the WD passport, but I don't like the price)

Image taken from AVS.
ps34601.JPG

edit:
The only negative seems that you don't get the video icons on external drives, but I can deal with that. As a positive, the folder system should be easier to organize files on the external drive (im not sure if you can get multiple folders on the ps3 hdd in the video menu).

Back