ps3 firmware 2.30 can't get DTS-HD to work

CyberJunk

Supreme [H]ardness
my ps3 is updated to the 2.30 firemware and it still doesn't show DTS-HD or Dolby true hd
on my receiver
I have a Onkyo 705 7.1 receiver so it should be able to handle it
iam using all audioquest hdmi cables
i set it to bitstream and it still plays in regular DTS5.1 or dolby 5.1
iam not sure what to do or if this even works

i have juno blu-ray which uses DTS HD MASTER AUDIO
and We own the night which is in True dolby hd
and none of them work
i don't know maybe there is something wrong with my ps3

make sure its set to LPCM and not Bitstream, and when you are watching the movie if have Bluray remote (or use a controler) hit the triangle and look at the info, it should say DTS-True HD at the top, if it does your PS3 is outputting it correctly your receiver jusat might not be showing it that way.

oh the other thing is you have to be using HDMI to the receiver and i am going to assume you are, but go into your BD Audio set up and make sure your PS3 see's that your receiver is capable of True HD

No worries.. I have same receiver.. You wont see the indications on the receiver because the ps3 is decoding it vs. the receiver. Just set your receiver to Multichannel and that's all you need. It's working normal. Remember that PS3 decodes them unless you set to bitstream. Bitstream isn't supported with the HD audios though.. that being DTS MA and Dolby hd. set to pcm and receiver to multichannel. check out the avsforum if u need.

yea its working thanks for the help!

so the HD codecs don't support bitstream
or the ps3 can bitstream them ?

The PS3 decodes those codecs internally and then outputs them to LPCM 5.1 or 7.1.
It's pretty cool because people with receivers that can't do those codecs can still get them this way...although mine will do it, so I don't care.
Pretty much, if you have a reciever with HDMI inputs - just set your PS3 to output to LPCM and while watching the movie, go into the volume control and boost it to 4 bars. By default when utilizing LPCM, the volume is a little lower.

yea its working thanks for the help!

so the HD codecs don't support bitstream
or the ps3 can bitstream them ?
The PS3 cannot bitstream DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD (MA or HR). Unless you have some very specific requirements with regards to your receiver setup (which do exist, despite some claims to the contrary), decoding those formats on the PS3 and outputting them via LPCM should be just fine.

PCM audio's available in plenty of games. I don't think any games use the HD codecs, though.
Typically games will either have Dolby 5.1, PCM, or in a few instances (Uncharted being one) DTS 5.1.
Unless they offer you a choice, usually they default to PCM 5.1/7.1 if you can do it. Otherwise, they tend to do Dolby 5.1.
If the game offers several options, you can play around with most in the audio menus.

when i watch regular DVD's I set to bitstream and let my receiver decode. For blueray, leave at pcm.

Try playing with the volume a little (within the movie) and making sure you set the option to even the sound out within the Blu-Ray menu. PCM conversion on normal DVD's should sound the same as Dolby/DTS, only it's not as loud until you set the volume higher.

I don't think so. I think it's just a universal setting within the PS3's DVD player itself.
I was thinking that LPCM sounded very subdued until I saw a post about it having a lower volume by default. Once I upped it, I tested out a few old DVD's (like the "flute scene" in Anchorman) and they sounded identical.

Back