PS3 FFXIII ... kinda surprised

DoggyDaddi

Gawd
I finaly broke down and bought my first console, with FFXIII being my first game for it. I'm nearly through, and got curious as to what kind of editors and save game mods were out there. I was shocked to find that absolutely NO-ONE has managed to complete a save game editor for the PS3 version of the game.

They can jailbreak an iPhone in less then a day, had mods for the X-Box version in under 2 hours, but it's been more then almost a year and they still haven't figured out a way around the encryption?

I remember getting my first Packard Bell 286 and sitting down with a editing program and figuring out how to mod my old AD&D SSI gold box games...

I honestly figured somebody would have done this by now.. guess not! lol

Just to let you know, FFXIII isn't a very good game at all (I own it as well). There are probably 100 other titles that are better on consoles, including better jRPGs. I'm not sure about save editors etc, but give some other games a try if you're not 100% satisfied with FFXIII.

Its pretty incomplete, and linear.

People still do savegame mods for consoles?

I put in a little over 10 hours in FFXIII and then stopped playing (mostly because I've no time); it wasn't terrible or anything, but it really was as linear as everyone said it was, at least for that portion of the game.

FFXIII was a big waste of money for me.
Same. My wife surprised me and bought it for me new. I played for 7-8 hours before telling her I couldn't take it anymore.

She then said she'd never buy me another new game again. :(
(Not saying I don't get new games, just that she won't surprise me by buying one for me that she's heard me talk about.)

FFXIII is the first game in the series that I full-on gave up on.
After about 15 hours of a horrible story, bad naming conventions, weird battle "modes," and characters I didn't like I just stopped playing.

Hell I didn't even need a demo; I saw video of the game and was not interested. :p :D The last great FF game was IX.

I loved X, most people didn't....just like I hated VII and had no interest in VIII meanwhile people loved VII, most liked VIII.

FFXIII is the first game in the series that I full-on gave up on.
After about 15 hours of a horrible story, bad naming conventions, weird battle "modes," and characters I didn't like I just stopped playing.

Same, I remember sprinting home after school in Grade 7 to finish FFX.

same here. I purchased a new xbox 360 for that game and am still pissed about it. I made it, maybe 5-8 hours in and was so disappointed that I sold it to Gamestop for pennies on the dollar.

Squares management needs a shake up. They've destroyed/are destroying a franchise with a huge and loyal fanbase. I don't mind linear gameplay as most of the final fantasy games were that way, but the story telling and general vision of the FF universe has jumped the shark big time. They need to go back to what made the franchise so popular in the first place and stop trying to redefine it.

same here. I purchased a new xbox 360 for that game and am still pissed about it. I made it, maybe 5-8 hours in and was so disappointed that I sold it to Gamestop for pennies on the dollar.

Squares management needs a shake up. They've destroyed/are destroying a franchise with a huge and loyal fanbase. I don't mind linear gameplay as most of the final fantasy games were that way, but the story telling and general vision of the FF universe has jumped the shark big time. They need to go back to what made the franchise so popular in the first place and stop trying to redefine it.

The characters were so I'm not sure how to describe it in better words "fucking gay" and not in a homosexual way but in a shitty terrible way. I just couldn't get into them, after all this is an RPG.

All this negativity...I was thinking about picking this one up used...I don't know if I should even bother now lol

FFXIII is a single player MMO wannabe. Enix acquiring Square Soft killed the company. I haven't seen a single decent release from them anymore.

1) Whiny gutless complaining side character. Check
2) Overcompensating masculine female lead. Check
3) Linear game play with inability to "visit" towns. Check
4) Grindfest and pointless running around. Check
5) Time and money better spent elsewhere. Check

I'm enjoying XIII quite a bit actually! The only other game of the series I've played was FFVII. While I loved the game, the whole 'chibi' aspect of it really irritated the crap out of me. But I saw the Japanese demo trailer for THIS, and was amazed at how great it looked.

I play it on my 40" Sony Z Bravia downstairs with an Onkyo 9.2 sound setup, and just can't get enough of it. I suppose the 'grind' would put some folks off though.

The reason I even started looking for a save game editor, was I realised I sold a bunch of things early on I need NOW, and they aren't available in the game other then that one time. OOPS..

LOL.. oh well, guess I have to start over, I'm currently in the Tesseract... so I'm almost finished.. but don't mind starting over that much.. it's a fun game. And yeah.. most of the characters have a strange androgynous look to them, with the exception of Fang, Vanille, and Sazh. Hope agravates the shit outa me though, such a damn weinie.. ya can't hardley sneeze without mowing him down. Too bad he's my best caster

BTW.. The game was free with the console on special intro at Wally-World when I bought the 'Slim'... so no worries there.

But can you complete all the achievements through all the bs grinding for all the ultimate weapons? lol

But can you complete all the achievements through all the bs grinding for all the ultimate weapons? lol

I got the ultimate weapons after the next crystarium tier opened and Vanille got 'Death'. Went Turtle farming for 'traps' and got 6 in about 2 hours with the Connoisseur Collector , then went back to Mission 8 and farmed Bomb Cores to do the exp maxing on the weapons. That part was easy

Most people have the biggest hard on for games that redefine everything, shame it never works out and you're left with a big piece of crap. Might explain why I loved Lost Odyssey so much.

All this negativity...I was thinking about picking this one up used...I don't know if I should even bother now lol

Matter of perspective. I thought the game was alright at best, the ending was just god awful though.........

There really isn't that much of a grind TBH, killing the turtles gets extremely easy. You can kill a Shao Long Gui in about a minute each without much effort and the other big ones for Traps in about 2 minutes.

As much as I love Japan, the weird character archetypes they're so keen on having every single game they make is really annoying. If it's not a knight type who must fight for justice and be righteous to the point it's annoying, it's a cowardly 14 year boy that somehow magically got powers and will cry for the entire game.

As much as I love Japan, the weird character archetypes they're so keen on having every single game they make is really annoying. If it's not a knight type who must fight for justice and be righteous to the point it's annoying, it's a cowardly 14 year boy that somehow magically got powers and will cry for the entire game.

Exactly. It really takes the fun out of the games. And the unfortunate thing is that it's a reoccurring theme.

Count me in on the only one that actually liked the game. Only FF I didn't like was FF8. Game was ass and couldn't keep my interest.

I liked the story, just didn't really like hope's crybabyness or snow's cheesy pedo love for serah. Also, as everyone said, it is a pretty linear game, but I didn't have a problem with it being that way. Not the best FF but I enjoyed the game.

It was the worst FF games since FF2j.

And I still would prefer it over 90% of the games I've played this year.

It looked pretty, and the combat system was actually pretty neat, but not until you were 60% of the way through the game, and things actually started opening up. I felt it held your hand TOO much early on, and the introduction of new combat elements was far too slow. I also didn't like that you couldn't control all the characters, I much preferred that method.

That said, it was far too linear, and no open world exploration, and kinda boring for the most part.

I'd rate it a solid C, worth checking out if you've got nothing else to do ;).

I played it for a few hours, then I got really bored with it. It seemed like they let you play for a bit, but just so it didn't look like a giant movie. Even then, it still felt like a giant movie!

I didn't make it super far and can't even remember where I stopped, but the bit I did felt like that.

It was a bad final fantasy game: But it was still better then 90% of the games I've looked at this year.

I loved it for the most part, especially the combat it wasn't dull like every other Final Fantasy.

I loved it for the most part, especially the combat it wasn't dull like every other Final Fantasy.

The first half of the game, it was, but as your characters advanced and you had different paradigms available, it DID get better.

I still prefer to control my characters actions though.

Platinum'd that 'ish.
Loved the game.
Really enjoyed the story, but I also read the Episode Zero novella SE released before playing. A good deal of information and character development a lot of people were missing when starting the game is in that.
Combat kept me invested the whole way through.

i've put a lot of hours into it, but then i went on vacation for a month and came back 2 days after the release of Halo: Reach. Made Colonel and still play a lot, but i've scaled back a bit and started playing Mass Effect 2 again. i want to get back into FFXIII but all the JRPGs are tough to get back into if you don't play them straight through. also i don't have time to really sit down and play for long chunks of time, and 30 minutes at a time isn't a great way to play this game.

The game only had the illusion of opening up near the end. To spec characters in other paradimes you had to spend a shitload of points on it. At that point in the game you might as well beat it instead of wasting 15 hours farming points.

the combat was the most annoying part. For intense battle the A.I. would not do what I wanted them to do and totally screw up the battle. I'm ok with linear as long as the story was good and for the most part it wasn't. This was one of the lesser FF games.

I played it for a few hours, then I got really bored with it. It seemed like they let you play for a bit, but just so it didn't look like a giant movie. Even then, it still felt like a giant movie!

This is what every single player game has become. I big giant movie on rails. I'll still to the platformers that don't pretend to be something they are not. (Read: games like Super Mario and shit)

I read halfway through this before realizing you were talking about FF 13 and not 14 (online) ... then remembered that 14 isn't even out on PS3 yet ...

Platinum'd that 'ish.
Loved the game.
Really enjoyed the story, but I also read the Episode Zero novella SE released before playing. A good deal of information and character development a lot of people were missing when starting the game is in that.

I've been meaning to get the Platinum trophy for this game for sometime now, but every time I start up the game and start farming for Platinum Ingots I get bored out of my mind. I can drop each turtle in about 2 minutes, but even then.... it's still very boring since you only get 1 from 12 minutes of farming.

FFXIII's story was really bad IMO. I didn't play it, but I watched my brother play through almost all of it, up to the end. It left me saying "That's it?" But I guess that's becoming more and more common with games these days.

Gameplay hours are meaningless. You can have a 30+ hour experience with FF13 (can't remember the time my bro spent actually) with little fulfillment from the story, or you could have 10+ hours with FF6 and be left awed by the sheer amount of adventure, memorable cast of characters, and a truly fulfilling storytelling experience.

So far I'm a bit dissapointed, ff7, 8, and 10 were better in terms of game play.

I kind of like the new fighting system, takes time out of looking for certain skills :p

I still haven't beaten FF13 (stuck on Chapter 12 final boss) and I picked it up at the midnight release. The graphics and being a Final Fantasy fanboy were the only reason I played it as long as I did. I hated the gimmick combat job switching and the summon/guardian force/esper/aeon/etc. battles you were forced to do for each character (and the fact they transformed into some mode of transportation wtf).

Normally, RPGs give you the illusion of freedom when you are playing but for the most part FF13 was seriously on rails.

Never heard of it, but I found a english translation of it, will definitely read. Are parts 2 and 3 available, that only part 1 of 3 I think?

http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/2009/10/final-fantasy-xiii-episode-zero.html

Enix acquiring Square Soft killed the company.

I thought that square acquired enix through a merger, thus becoming Squeenix.

Anywho. Im a trying my damnedest to get through this game. I really enjoyed 6-9 and even X and xX-2 to some extent but this game is really trying my patience.

Last edited:

Dido, nothing like what i wanted to play and i hadnt played FF since the SNES days so was really looking forward to it.

i got to one point where u got 2 people and have to defeat a boss switching crap back and forth every dam turn, i gave up after about a day and haven't touched the game since.

Back