PS3 Experance so far...

Jabroni31169

My Future Son-in-Law
So for my birthday the wife got me a PS3 for our media room. She was very hesitant until I informed her of the blu-ray. Either way I've now got a ps3 slim sitting under my Modern warfare 360. I've had an 360 since early 2007 and its been my primary mode of gaming. So here are my opnions so far compairing the ps3 to the 360

- The ps3 is a crapton quieter. Its actually redonkulus how loud the 360 is vs the ps3 slim. Watching DVD's is mucho better now.

- I much prefer the ps3 controller to the 360. This is more likely due to the fact I played ps1 and ps2 for so long. I found it odd how easy it was to go right back to the ps3 controller.

- The online community on ps3 sucks. Live is easier to use and looks 100 times better. @Home is a good idea in theory but blows in person.

- No headset included with the ps3. Come on...really? I realize its all bluetooth but geeze....at least throw in a cheap headset.

- I game in a dark room and not having the green glowing ring staring back at me from both the front of the 360 and the controller is tits. On the ps3 the lights on the console point up instead of out. While this may seem petty it has been a value add in our media room.

At this point I really cant compare graphics as I have yet to play a game that I already have played on the 360. I played dante's inferno for about two days until I took it back and picked up killzone 2. Both games have looked fantastic but nothing really jaw dropping. I did play the demo for heavy rain and that was pretty sweet coming from a console. Killzone 2 is pretty freaking sweet IMO. I would much rather play Killzone than modern warfare at this point.

This is my humble opinion and I am very pleased with the ps3 so far.

Last edited:
I've got both as well, and a Wii, so somethings.

- The ps3 is a crapton quieter. Its actually redonkulus how loud the 360 is vs the ps3 slim. Watching DVD's is mucho better now.

Give it time. My (old) PS3 started to get scary loud after a while, no idea what caused it. And then it went away.

- I much prefer the ps3 controller to the 360. This is more likely due to the fact I played ps1 and ps2 for so long. I found it odd how easy it was to go right back to the ps3 controller.

I like the PS3 controller better overall as well. However I find for FPS games, the 360 controller is better.

- The online community on ps3 sucks. Live is easier to use and looks 100 times better. @Home is a good idea in theory but blows in person.

No argument here. The PS3 online is a fucking pathetic joke. I play fighting games, and since they are japan centric, you'd think the PS3 would have a better player load, it does not. It takes forever to find matches, and the connection is crap... the buddy system sucks as well.

- No headset included with the ps3. Come on...really? I realize its all bluetooth but geeze....at least throw in a cheap headset.

Not all 360's come with a headset either. Peripherals have alwasy been at cost to the consumer, and I don't see the gripe here. What I would like to see both sony and Microsoft do though is include an HDMI cable, if only to prevent those assholes at monster from raping people.

At this point I really cant compare graphics as I have yet to play a game that I already have played on the 360. I played dante's inferno for about two days until I took it back and picked up killzone 2. Both games have looked fantastic but nothing really jaw dropping. I did play the demo for heavy rain and that was pretty sweet coming from a console. Killzone 2 is pretty freaking sweet IMO. I would much rather play Killzone than modern warfare at this point.

Multiplatform games look better on the 360 with one exception. The PS3 can't really keep up, that exception is Final Fantasy 13, which looks like ass on the 360. That all said, some of the PS3 exclusives, look really good. God of War 3 comes to mind here.

For me, the online experience of the 360 and overall better quality of the multiplatform ports puts it over the edge. However the PS3 exclusives, are far better then anything offered on the 360, there is no competition, for me.;

Yeah I find that it depends what game I'm playing to be the factor that decides which controller I like more. FPS/3rd person shooter I prefer the 360 controller. Most other things I prefer DS3 (RPGs, sRPGs, action/adventure... I guess that's all I play really).

Also the newer 360's are quieter than your old ass 2007 model. No, it's still not PS3-quiet, but it has improved. I totally agree on the bright green ring being rather obnoxious in a home theater environment. PS3 is just superior in every way in that department. When MS' agreement with Netflix ends later this year, it'll be awesome not having to pop in that disk on the PS3 too.

The thing with the online community is that Sony does nothing to really push it. The lack of bundled cheap headsets in almost all systems (there are a few special edition stuff that had bluetooth headsets, I believe the MGS gunmetal PS3 had a really cool one bundled in), the lack of unified developer support, etc. has really crippled the growth of PSN's online community. Right now PSN is basically just a tacked on extra for the PS3, much like the card readers or keyboard/mouse support.

Conversely the 360 is built entirely around Live. It's a completely different mentality. In hindsight it seems like a really obvious thing to do that Sony should have done, but it wasn't that clear years ago. Microsoft has tried forcing communities to form many times in the past and it has failed every single time. EVERY single time. Just look at MSN/Windows Live. They've been reinventing that community for a decade and a half now with half a dozen variations on names and nomenclature and it is still a colossal failure. Live has been their only forced community success.

I certainly see the PS3 side because I really don't give a rat's ass about online console multiplayer and its community. My PS3 and 360 are purely single player and split-screen co-op machines. My PC is my multiplayer device. But alas, I'm a dying breed, pretty soon I'll be labeled oldschool.

I had a ps3 since release and the only game i bought for it was GTA4, i've been using it to play my ps2 games mostly

No argument here. The PS3 online is a fucking pathetic joke. I play fighting games, and since they are japan centric, you'd think the PS3 would have a better player load, it does not. It takes forever to find matches, and the connection is crap... the buddy system sucks as well;

When SF4 came out, I was playing Japanese players all the time with no lag. 3/5 bars.

I often hear people complain about PS3 connection issues, but I've never seen a problem myself. It's got less features, but as far as the basics go, playing games online and downloading demos, PSN hasn't let me down. And it's free. I think some geographical areas are supported better than others.

I had a ps3 since release and the only game i bought for it was GTA4, i've been using it to play my ps2 games mostly

I hope you've been renting PS3 games at least. If you like RPGs, Demon's Souls is worth the money.

haha nope haven't even rented any games yet, i'm planning to get demon soul if it drops to 35-40 dollars and ff13 if it drops to 30. I don't really want to pay 60 dollars for demon souls just so i can throw my controller out the window from getting pissed off at it =P

If the new 360s are considered an improvement in sound then I would have hated to have an old one.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is something you should check out.

I found the 360 controller fit better in my hands even though i grew up on the ps1 and 2, and the trigger just feels better than the finniky r2/l2, every time i use those new lower l buttons it feels like my fingers are gonna slip off, and the stubby palm grips come short in my hands. of course this is my opinion :D

The old 360s were ridiculously loud. Be it the fan or the dvd drive. The PS3 definitely won in that dept. The PS3 is cheaper than the 360 (if you upgrade the 360 to somewhat match the PS3) and has a lot of features (which I don't even use).

Both have pros and cons. I tend to lean more towards the PS3, as they haven't broke on me twice. At least the new 360s don't seem to fail.

Back