PS3 equivelent to the RROD

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
"I.. see... RRODs!" :D

Curious though, because I see nothing but RROD threads. What is the PS3 equivalent to the RROD? I don't think I've ever seen a "My PS3 died" thread, or perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. Anyone here have a bricked PS3? If so what were the symptoms? Any special visual display when it dies that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside?

"I.. see... RRODs!" :D

Curious though, because I see nothing but RROD threads. What is the PS3 equivalent to the RROD? I don't think I've ever seen a "My PS3 died" thread, or perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. Anyone here have a bricked PS3? If so what were the symptoms? Any special visual display when it dies that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside?

I think its a no video error that is most common on PS3s. The "infamous" no video error.
Obviously they are few and far between but thats what ive seen the most.

I had 2 "refurb" PS3's from Gamestop. Both had major issues with locking up.

First one didn't happen till I had it for like 5 months. Second one did it when I brought it home.
Luckily I am good friends with 3 different managers at local gamestops. Took it back in and went back to a brand new Xbox360.

I've owned 2 360's now and have never had a single issue...

My first PS3 just stopped reading discs. Everything else was working fine...downloaded content, internet browsing, and audio streaming were all good, but it wouldn't read any discs. I tried CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray, and Games, but nothing.

Exchanged it at BB and have had no problems since.

although there are certainly problems with random PS3's (just like any piece of electronic equipment), they are nowhere near equivalent to RROD.

My first PS3 actually had the HDMI port bomb. Nothing would work with it, however all of the other video/audio inputs worked fine.
I RMA'd it and got another from Sony in a week. That one's been pain-free ever since.
Every now and then there might be a handshake issue with HDMI video, but just changing the channel fixes it.

The thing I've ever seen personally is a broken blu-ray drive. It wouldn't read disc.

No RROD here, but if I connect an external drive formatted in NTFS my PS3 hangs

Yeah my PS3 wouldn't read any discs about a week after I got it at launch. I exchanged it at Best Buy, and haven't had a problem since the week after launch. :D

Both of my brothers have PS3's and one has gone through 2 already because they stop reading discs. My other brother hasn't had a single issue with it.

Basically if it works it will probably keep working otherwise it will have a quick death.

Yup
I guess the closet would be a handful of reports of PS3s not reading discs any longer.

But you can't compare that to the amazingly horrible RROD of the X360.
One honestly has to think that the X360 has the worst failure of any home entertainment piece of hardware in history.
I think they pegged the 360 at first as having a 30% failure rate. I think that number is now closer in the range of 16%-18% from estimates. That is still shockingly bad compared to the estimated 3% failure rates of the Wii and PS3.

I guess it is good that it happened to MS and not Nintendo or Sony has who knows if Nintendo or Sony would have at the time had the Billions to spend in order to remedy the problem with consumers.

The only thing close to the RROD is that some of the 40GB have bad drives. Funny thing is, apparently it's firmware related, and not hardware related (there are posts on the internet explaining how to go about fixing it). It has something to do with network activity. Though, maybe there's a hardware conflict in there anyways, who knows.

They do now :) But who is to say they would have if faced with RROD type problems.
They could do it now if all of a sudden all Wiis started dying :)

They still would. Look at how many RRODs there are, and from a company most people dislike yet they still purchase them.

I personally don't have a PS3 yet, but my two buddies that do have both had drive failures where it won't read anything.

That seems to be the most common problem I read about, but it sure isn't out of control.

There is no equivalent to the RRoD. Nothing is even close. Its really as simple as that.

First PS3 stopped outputting video.
Second PS3 stopped reading discs.

PS3 came out how much later than the 360? And there's how many million more 360's out there? Not saying it'll get anywhere near as bas as the RROD, but I bet it'll have it's fair share of failures.

I dunno since Sony builds Reliable hardware very very well , but as of error's they would occur due to firmware conflictions with something inside the hardware but it doesnt litterally tear the console apart which is a great thing.

So im saying its better to have errors which could be fixed from firmware updates , rather than a Console to die out fully and not function at all.

Back