ps3 disk space use?

z3r0-

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a 320gb drive from my new laptop sitting here so I threw it in my 80gb PS3. I used the back up utility to save all my data (13gb worth) onto a USB drive. Swapped drives, reformatted, restored data. It says 250/298gb free. If I restored 13gb of data, what the hell is using the other 35gb?

On top of that the PS3 uses a portion of that space for temp files and system files.

Most importantly is that if memory serves me, the PS3 uses a percentage of the total available hard drive not just a certain number of GB for its system files. Enjoy your big hard drive though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

On top of that the PS3 uses a portion of that space for temp files and system files.

Why did you link me a wikipedia page on hard disk drives?

Most importantly is that if memory serves me, the PS3 uses a percentage of the total available hard drive not just a certain number of GB for its system files. Enjoy your big hard drive though!

That's what I figured. Seems rather silly but then again I have zero understanding of how the ps3 file system works.

If I did the sensible thing of checking free space BEFORE swapping drives, I could confirm that. Of course I didn't.

edit: further google searching netted me with 12% reserved, which perfectly explains my "missing" space.

Last edited:
he linked about drives so you can understand why a 320G drive isnt actually 320G when formated.

I noticed this with my 500GB drive I installed last week. The 500GB drive had much more space used than was restored from the backup. A 12% reserve would be in line with what I saw.

he linked about drives so you can understand why a 320G drive isnt actually 320G when formated.

he wasn't complaining about the formatted size, he was complaining about the used space being too high.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back