PS3 camping update

kumquat said:
Yes, because if you're a criminal, you're stupid.

lol im not sayind that all criminals are stupid, but the ones that hold up a gas station for $20 are just stupid. Im not talking about the white collar crime, where over a 10 year period some accountant steals 12.5 million from the compnay (you have to at least know what you are doing to do that). But im just saying, the people that rob someone with a gun for a damn PS3 are just stupid! They are the same people that will rob college students that are amoung the poorest people (most college students anyways), for instance i my self maybe MAYBE have 10 dollars in cash on me a any given time.

spotdog14 said:
lol im not sayind that all criminals are stupid, but the ones that hold up a gas station for $20 are just stupid. Im not talking about the white collar crime, where over a 10 year period some accountant steals 12.5 million from the compnay (you have to at least know what you are doing to do that). But im just saying, the people that rob someone with a gun for a damn PS3 are just stupid! They are the same people that will rob college students that are amoung the poorest people (most college students anyways), for instance i my self maybe MAYBE have 10 dollars in cash on me a any given time.
You, sir, are obviously a true scholar in the matter.

SoulflyFan said:
Funny story is i went to the local BB ~12:30 EST to pick up a 360 for gears of war and low and behold i go back to get a buggy to grab the stuff in and they are unpacking two of them so i managed to snag one up and a 360 pretty good for not camping out if i say.
Luckiest launch story ever!! :D

Well, I have to hand it to Sony. I didn't think anyone could botch a launch worse than MS did with the 360 last year, but they've really outdone...well, pretty much every poor launch ever done.

Way to go Sony!

randy5554 said:
Luckiest launch story ever!! :D

Yea of all the people i told today they all said i was really lucky to get what i got, but it dosent matter to me i guess i dont have to go out of my way to get one now hehe.

K600 said:
Next time you copy and paste a list of links from another forum, at least use the quote or edit button so you get the full links ;)

I didn't say the list was my own.

I've actually seen that list on three seperate forums by completely unique forums.

The point is that there is a limit to how much the saying "all PR is good PR" truly can survive.

K600 said:

I've actually seen that list on three seperate forums by completely unique forums.

The point is that there is a limit to how much the saying "all PR is good PR" truly can survive.
Many of the links don't work.

You copied the link text, not the links.

K600 said:

The fact is all these bad things are happening because people WANT the system really really bad, and its just gonna get worse-- so in this case, all publicity is good publicity.

The only publicity I can think of that would actually have a negative impact would be is if somehow the consoles started to spontaniously combust or something.

I couldn't quote the message :eek: Arguing with Sony zealots = BANNAGE (That forum).

inotocracy, you'll one day learn that all PR isn't good PR. It's never a good thing to have your system advertised in this way when news reports are making direct comparisons to the competitors while saying that they've got their issues ironed out and are providing plenty to be had.

I'm not arguing, just stating what I think. I'm buying a Wii btw ;)

Found this picture and I had to post it! haha!

phpThumb.php

you know what kills me? people are spending thousands when it will be widely available in a month or 2 at your local best buy/walmart for retail prices........id much rather wait then spend more than it already costs

alkaline said:
you know what kills me? people are spending thousands when it will be widely available in a month or 2 at your local best buy/walmart for retail prices........id much rather wait then spend more than it already costs
You won't be able to find one of these until well into next year.

You're talking 3-4 months, not 1-2 months.

You guys gotta play it smart. You realize how many firmware/updates there are gonna be? I mean hell if you buy it now you're down to Resistance, a few other launch titles, and a bit of PS2 games (They've announced that you cant play some 200 games, which is bullshit :mad: )

Besides, we can only hope for a new revision and pricedrop (lol) here's to hoping.

Stereophile said:
Same thing happened to me. I camped out for the pre-order and was #5 out of 7 slots.
They were supposed to get six 60gb and one 20gb. The next morning the manager handed out the vouchers and actually gave out seven 60gb and one 20gb.

Toys R Us opened at 9am this morning. I would have been there earlier but was trying for the costco online sale. Got to Toys R Us at 9:20am and was told they didn't have anymore 60gb. Honestly I was relieved to just get a 20gb. After EB screwed me over I was afraid.

The manager apologized profusely and told me Sony lied and only shipped them three 60gb and three 20gb. They started giving out the 60gb to whichever pre-order people arrived first this morning. If I had got there right at 9am I could have had a 60gb. But if they only got three of them, and I was #5 in line, it's only fair I got a 20gb.

I really feel sorry because 2 people who think they are getting PS3s from that Toys R Us, aren't getting anything today not even a 20gb. And since they are just giving them first come first serve to the pre-order people, it's conceivable the #1 person in line may not get one if they don't get down there before everyone else. :(

Sony is pathetic.

Same exact thing happened at my store. We were quoted 7 60, 1 20 and ended up with 3+3. 93 wii's though
:cool:

can someone repost those links in valid form?

holy crap, ive been reading some of these stories and I must say that the madness for the ps3 this year (all the crime and violence) definately outdid the 360 launch last year.

some of this is frickin insane. with all the bs the ensued (people getting told to go home after waiting 3 days and having freezing rain) and all the violence (people getting robbed at gunpoint), you gotta wonder how so many people managed to go through with it, lol.

sony definately got a lot of marketing out of this madness though. All the violence and bad stuff that happened will get blamed on human nature. While the console will get praised as being a powerful object to cause this much desire.

Sounds like over 50% of the people that camped out for PS3s are selling them for a profit lol. What a messed up launch! The retailers should be jacking up the price of the PS3 so we wont have this crap... have the toys r us and walmarts sell the PS3 for 2k on the launch that way the greedy customers looking to make a quick buck wont be able to.

inotocracy said:
I didn't expect this would happen at all :rolleyes:

http://www.kmph.com/home/4674536.html

Fucking people I swear, it's insane that police were needed. This is a fucking console launch for a system that plays GAMES, it's not like there's an epidemic and there is no food or anything and they're waiting in line to get necessities. The ps3 launch is a JOKE.

In todays world... I wonder what would happen if we had another great depression. Its a scary thought but back in the 1930s my grandfather told me people were never like they are today even though everyone was broke they managed with the loss of jobs, food, etc. If a great depression ever hit the U.S. again Im packing up and going out to canada.

sabrewolf732 said:
Fucking people I swear, it's insane that police were needed. This is a fucking console launch for a system that plays GAMES, it's not like there's an epidemic and there is no food or anything and they're waiting in line to get necessities. The ps3 launch is a JOKE.
Says the guy who doesn't have one to sell :)

People acted stupid like this for the 360 launch, they are doing it for the PS3, and they'll be doing it for whatever the next hot console will be sometime in the future. It's not just this launch and not even for consoles.
Remember Elmo dolls and cabbage patch kids? They were just as stupid then as they are now no matter what type of product it is. As long as people want something that's considered a hot item, they'll act like this.
I blame it on most people (but not all) who just have to HAVE it first rather than wait till it's coming in more regularly.

kumquat said:
Says the guy who doesn't have one to sell :)

I'd sell one if I had one, but I'm not going to shoot somebody for one and wait in a mob and potentially get arrested (there is NO way you could be in a group of people like that and not have to push/shove/throw bows ).

sabrewolf732 said:
I'd sell one if I had one, but I'm not going to shoot somebody for one and wait in a mob and potentially get arrested (there is NO way you could be in a group of people like that and not have to push/shove/throw bows ).
I waited calmly in line with 11 other people. We laughed, talked, hung out, and had a good time. No one, even passers-by, caused any trouble whatsoever. We had a few beers, a few burgers, and a lot of fun. No issues. No robbings, no fighting. We got together Thursday afternoon and wrote down all of our names in a list with a number next to each of our names.

The only guy who was a bit of a problem was the guy who was #14 for 12 systems complaining to the manager as he handed out bracelets that one #7 walked 100 yards over to McDonald's to get a burger (something the rest of us let each other do multiple times).

It depends ALOT on where you live too. Also, not going to lie if I didn't have to work I would have camped. 2G's on ebay would have been worth it.

I camped with 5 friends for 40 hours at Bestbuy in Washington. We were 3-7 in line. Everything went smoothly, the manager there was super nice. He took down names the first night so that if we got kicked off the poperty by lot security wednesday night we could restore the line. Then the last night they hired police security to make sure nothing went down over night and the next morning we got tickets at 7:30. Luckily no rain both nights, just super cold. Also lucky that there were no drive by bb gun shootings or egging that went on at some of the other bestbuys.

Oh and they had 38 units and by 5pm wednesday there were more then 38 people in line.

nullzero said:
Sounds like over 50% of the people that camped out for PS3s are selling them for a profit lol. What a messed up launch! The retailers should be jacking up the price of the PS3 so we wont have this crap... have the toys r us and walmarts sell the PS3 for 2k on the launch that way the greedy customers looking to make a quick buck wont be able to.

Hahaha....
50%?

More like 87.5% (at the place I camped out, at least).

guys if someone wants to price gouge the thing its their own decision. obviously people are willing to pay the prices they are asking. if someone waited 2-3 days outside in the rain,etc then just let them do what they want. this kind of stuff is no different from other "hot" items. for example...the new shelby mustang was going for over $4000-8000 above sticker price and the dealers were getting it. its just supply and demand. in a couple months there will be pleanty and you'll be able to walk into any store and get one. this is just a way to make a quick buck and a lot of people are cashing in. i cant blame em.

im going to piss myself if people lose money on these... people reselling these just piss me off... i dont plan on buying a PS3, im a PC gamer at heart, only time i touch my PS2 is for final fantasy games :p and my xbox for racing and halo2 :LOL: after the whole 360 thing, so many people sold them for profit, EVERYONe is doing it for the PS3 so people are bound to lose money..

I would love to see what people would say if Best Buy and the other retailers price gauged like the people who are reselling are doing.

nullzero said:
I would love to see what people would say if Best Buy and the other retailers price gauged like the people who are reselling are doing.
Putting something up for auction is price gouging?

:rolleyes:

"price gouging

n : pricing above the market when no alternative retailer is available"

By definition, the auction prices are the market. It is literally impossible by definition for an auction to be price gouging.

Well then lets have the retailers have bidding right at the front door for their console stock. That will price out the people who are looking to make some quick cash and the ones that truely want the product.

nullzero said:
Well then lets have the retailers have bidding right at the front door for their console stock. That will price out the people who are looking to make some quick cash and the ones that truely want the product.

Guess what... the hardcore gamers arent the ones paying 2 grand on ebay, they were the ones freezing their asses off next to those of us getting them to sell. The people buying them on ebay are rich parents getting them for little johnny jackass for christmas because he absolutly has to have it. You wouldn't be doing "the ones that truely want the product" any favors by price gouging at the retail end of things.

nullzero said:
You're absolutely right.

Big businesses like Best Buy and Circuit City should add all the profits right to their corporate bottom line.

Assholes like me willing to put in the time and effort to wait in a line for two days don't deserve any of it. Best Buy does!

Star Fox said:
Heck yeah, I would have paid it.
Cash too.

I bought my #17 spot (@ BB, so 60GB) for $800 cash.
Add that to the $650 for the console, and it's up to around 1.5k
Considering they're going for at least 2k on eBay, that's not a bad deal at all.

Thats got to suck, I was #21 in line at Chesterfield in STL and the guy in front of me wanted a 20GB not a 60GB and since they were only getting 20 60GBs for the midnight launch he sold me his 60gb ticket for $100 and I gave him my 20gb ticket.

Back