PS3 and a Bluetooth headset?

Has anyone talked about this compatibility? I searched on Google to find info, but nothing useful came up.

Will we be using our Bluetooth mobile headsets for communicating in online games on the PS3? Sounds like an awesome idea to me. I think I'll go over to Sony to pick up my check for a million dollars for coming up with the idea.

That's a fantastic idea. If you could use your own bluetooth headsets it would be great! All that said, Sony needs to make fistloads of money from accessories to recoup the huge losses they will be taking on the base console, and I'm sure a proprietary headset will be one of them. Though, perhaps it will be wireless and use blootooth, if that will make you happy :p

x360 is doing it, so of course ps3 will allow it. but it wont be just any headset, im sure youll have to buy the PS3 brand one, so they can gouge the price.

I think thats how the headsets for ps3 will be. It might be a huge 8 foot cord from the usb but that would be kinda weird, or a cord going from the headset to the controller like the 360, but why waste the potential of bluetooth.

Microsoft announced NEW bluetooth headsets for the 360 that come out this fall. Look em up ;)

theNoid said:
Microsoft announced NEW bluetooth headsets for the 360 that come out this fall. Look em up ;)

I can't seem to find this anywhere... Was it announced at E3 and just isn't on any websites yet? Does the XBOX 360 have bluetooth built in or is it some other wireless system?

phoderpants said:
I can't seem to find this anywhere... Was it announced at E3 and just isn't on any websites yet? Does the XBOX 360 have bluetooth built in or is it some other wireless system?

It was announced at E3 during MS press conference. I believe MS 'said' bluetooth, however I know their wireless controllers use a private MS wireless network setup. Perhaps the new headsets are on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjdD_RjiZo&search=xbox 360

Maybe it's BlueTooth in the same way that the Nintendo Wavebirds are "bluetooth" - they use a similar tech, but it's not the open bluetooth we know and love on PCs and cell phones, it's a proprietary setup that only works within that console environment. I think Nintendo announced something similar today.

I'm really curious to see how the PS3 incorporates Bluetooth, since I read that it's Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR. It would be a shame if they used a standard like that and then locked out everything but proprietary hardware. It seems they want it to interact with cell phones and other bluetooth enabled hardware, so it would be really cool if any kind of headset could be used. We shall see I guess...

Back