PS3 Acting Slow

hity645

[H]F Junkie
So H console gamers I need to know if any of you have experienced the symptoms I'm having with my PS3.

Last night I updated to newest firmware, installed the free games from the Welcome Back promotion, and downloaded some themes. Fired up netflix and went to browse through my instant queue and this is where I noticed the "slowness". I used to be able to zip right on through my movies by holding the arrow key/joystick and then stop. Now when I hold it over it only moves one movie. Press the button twice or whatever and it moves only once. I noticed that almost every time I do this, the HDD light kicks on and I cannot move onto the next movie until it stops. Googling around its either the HDD is dying a slow death or my internet connection is sucking (which can't be because I've been downloading crap hella fast on my PS3). Turning on the console takes about a minute for everything to load up on the menu. Entering or exiting Netflix takes a lot longer than it used to.

Things I've done/tried to remedy:
Safe mode options 3, 4, and 5. Option 3 reported my drive was corrupt and "fixed" the issue
Reformatted the hard drive and installed everything.
Downloaded the firmware update to thumb drive and reinstalled this (and it took about fifteen minutes to copy over to the HDD and install).

Thoughts? Questions? Opinions?

Do you have a spare laptop hdd you can swap in to it? no matter the size it would be a good way to know if that is the problem.

Do you have a spare laptop hdd you can swap in to it? no matter the size it would be a good way to know if that is the problem.

I have a 2.5" raptor, however my PS3 is not even a year old and is still under warranty so I'd rather not do anything to screw that over. This is very frustrating.

You can replace the hdd without voiding your warranty. It is almost an encouraged activity by Sony. They make it very easy to replace.

One way or the other, if there are any save games or anything you want to keep a copy of I would be getting a backup if I were you. It doesn't sound great.

Back