PS3 3.41 Firmware Causing Hard Drive Problems

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
The recent 3.41 firmware has been causing problems for anyone upgrading their console’s hard drive. Users receive a “no applicable data” error after trying to install the update, which renders their PS3 non-working.

As for Sony, it hasn't offered an official explanation just yet, but all indications are that it's a bug and not an intentional blocking of hard drive upgrades

that really sucks. hope that most of the people hit by this are able to fix their systems. this is why i am always affraid to install any system updates to my consoles for a few days after they are released to see if there are any major problems.

I always wait and watch their forum (which I won't sign up for due to the abundance of 12 year olds there) to see if there are any issues. I hope this was just a screw up and it will be fixed. If not there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

I have my PS3 set to no internet access by default and only allow internet access if I actually have a reason to. I have a HDD upgrade that I did myself so glad I never got this update yet.

Being that I haven't fired up my PS3 in a while, I didn't even know about the update (as usual). I have the 40 GB model (the first SKU which completely removed PS2 backwards compatibility) upgraded with a 320 GB drive and no screw-ups yet *knocks on wood*. If the HDXT I bought would have worked for this model of PS3, I could have 1 or 2 TB easy...damn you Sony for changing the HDD orientation.

that really sucks. hope that most of the people hit by this are able to fix their systems. this is why i am always affraid to install any system updates to my consoles for a few days after they are released to see if there are any major problems.

I own all 3 of the systems, so I watch reports of problems for all 3 on sites. I have to say it seems like PS3 has the most problems, but luckily they have always been fixable I think. Wii's the only one that actually permanently bricked a bunch of consoles out there that I can remember. (and I remember Nintendo offered to do swaps even out of warranty for it)

heh my friend had to send his PS3 in for a dead/corrupt HDD just this week. Wonder if it had anything to do with this?

He was still covered under warranty so he didn't really care, but sucks for those out of warranty.

Sony and MS really need to get with the program testing these updates.

If you could skip a buggy update, it wouldn't be a problem. As it stands, if you want to do anything online on a PS3 you are required to download the buggy firmware. On a console that so heavily relies on online services, there is no room for error.

If my original 60GB gets bricked, do they replace it with another 60GB or do I get a newer cut-down version?

I had this problem when upgrading my hard drive + firmware 3.41, but I fixed the issue. The issue is that 3.41 is an incremental update and is looking for 3.40. To fix this issue, download 3.40 firmware to a usb flash drive and reinstall software to HD. Then do the 3.41 update and it will work.

didn't affect me at all on my latest gen ps3 upgrade to a 320gb drive.. hit and miss?

I had this problem when upgrading my hard drive + firmware 3.41, but I fixed the issue. The issue is that 3.41 is an incremental update and is looking for 3.40. To fix this issue, download 3.40 firmware to a usb flash drive and reinstall software to HD. Then do the 3.41 update and it will work.

This is definitely possible as the update was much smaller than usual, and not the ~160MB I normally have to sit and wait for.

Sony and MS really need to get with the program testing these updates.

If you could skip a buggy update, it wouldn't be a problem. As it stands, if you want to do anything online on a PS3 you are required to download the buggy firmware. On a console that so heavily relies on online services, there is no room for error.

If my original 60GB gets bricked, do they replace it with another 60GB or do I get a newer cut-down version?

It's standard for companies to prioritize release speed over testing.

Frankly it's a wonder more things don't break than do; if you were aware how much of the country's vital infrastructure was decades old and patched by people who really have no idea how it works at the low-level (and without adequate testing) then you would be pulling your hair out.

If anything, it's a surprise that so few problems come up with companies like Sony and Microsoft.

Mine's working fine. I updated my PS3 two days ago.

Which you would think it would check for, if 3.40 is required you would think it would check to see what the current version is and then tell you to download that version frist or auto download it for you first then instead 3.41

Man, I yearn for the days when consoles were all standardized and you just put the game in and it worked. Now, with the advent of being update-able, consoles are even worse to use than Windows ME. They all seem to be in perpetual beta.

Updated to 3.41 and no more Netflix. I don't have cable and this is pretty much the only thing I watch on the TV. Looks like I will be using the online version until they "fix" this.

Mine is fine too...but what has it added? All I can see is an "automatic updates" option in the settings menu.

I don't pay attention to what they add and remove. I just see "there are updates available. Please go to blah blah blah", so I run it.

mine as of about 3-4 days ago stopped working, everytime it boots up now it tells me cannot start, correct hard drive can not be found, or something to the effect of that. i tried putting the original 40gb drive back in it and nadda. i swapped the drive out well over a year ago and never gave me an issue till now

Back