PS3 2.5 Update: Home 1.0 / 40gb BC?

Ron FTL

[H]ard|Gawd
I have reading up a bit on the Home Open Beta starting in the fall.

*** This is not 100% factual. It could be speculation ***

I was reading up on QJ this morning and read this article which hinted at Home 1.0 release in late October.

Home Manager, gave to someone who was asking about certain freezing problems they encountered in the beta. TedTheDog explained that the PS3-freezing bug would be dealt with by the time the next firmware update rolls out. "2.5 is what we're waiting for," he says, "and 'October' is what I've heard." Check out the screencap of the Home Manager's post:

ps-home-fw25-october.jpg

Source:
http://ps3.qj.net/PlayStation-Home-PS3-FW-2-5-Home-1-0-hinted-closed-beta-extended/pg/49/aid/124176

I read some of the comments and some users stated that "PS3 Will be Getting MINOR Ps2 Backward Compatibility in the 2.50 PS3 System Update Late in October"

I have a 40gb PS3 and this got me curious. Now, I would never take any of this actually factual without it being confirmed by a reliable source.

My questions is, have you guys found any solid info over this 2.5 October update? Or anything relating the BC for 40gb?

(Now I am more considered about BC. So please don't turn this into a Home bashing thread. Thank You.)

I read about this the other day and I'd hope that cross game chat was included too so those that don't wanna use Home can speak to those that do. Launched the same week as LBP anyone? Co-incidental it's around the time of the 360's new dash release too? Discuss!!

Time will tell.....

One thing is for sure, this thread is gonna be full of the usual shit....

Sounds really interesting if true. Unfortunatly I've been pretty disappointed by sony lately, so I don't plan to keep my hopes up and hold my breath.

Some users? All I saw was one user posting multiple times that his dad worked for Sony, yadda yadda. Sound like BS to me, but yes software emulation would be nice at some point.

40GB BC would be nice, but until Sony mentions it I'll throw it in the same pile as Bluray on 360. Wishful thinking at best...

i think downloadable ps2 BC is inevitable for a few games via psn for all ps3s

PS2 BC on the 40 gig (and the new 80 gig) PS3 would be really tough since it would have to be pure software emulation of both the PS2's CPU and GPU.

PS2 BC on the 40 gig (and the new 80 gig) PS3 would be really tough since it would have to be pure software emulation of both the PS2's CPU and GPU.

But you have to figure at least Sony's developers know the hardware well enough they could probably do it in some way.

I think it will be the big name games that get emulation, if any. MGS series would be perfect.

But you have to figure at least Sony's developers know the hardware well enough they could probably do it in some way.

I think it will be the big name games that get emulation, if any. MGS series would be perfect.

I hope the Metal Gear Solid anthology is one of the first titles to get it if it happens, since that's about the only game I really want to play off the top of my head. I'd also like to play the Suikoden series on PS2, but I won't hold out hope for that.

I think it's inevitable isn't it? When you think that PS2 games will be hitting the store at some point in the future it would beg the question of why do that for only a part of your userbase?

Tekken Tag and all 3 MGS games please!

I think it's inevitable isn't it? When you think that PS2 games will be hitting the store at some point in the future it would beg the question of why do that for only a part of your userbase?

Tekken Tag and all 3 MGS games please!

God I hope so.

I still have a box somewhere with my old ps2 games. It will be pretty cool just to play those once again.

Crash Bandicoot anyone? lol.

If it will be released for "all" Ps3 systems then I bet the PStore will be getting a lot more business. (Movies, PS1 & PS2 games, PSP demo's)

I hope legitimate information will be released on this update during the first week of October.

If Sony were going to be adding BC they'd have been crowing about it for months.

Probably, yeah...unless they were going to completely half-ass it in some way.
Haven't you seen Home? They'd crow about it even if it was half-assed.

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking going on with regards to PS2 BC. If it does happen, I'd assume it would _only_ be for the PSN titles, not for anything you'd stick in the Blu-Ray drive.

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking going on with regards to PS2 BC. If it does happen, I'd assume it would _only_ be for the PSN titles, not for anything you'd stick in the Blu-Ray drive.

Probably close to hitting the nail on the head there. I remember seeing a screen of the PS2 part of the Store, the standout game I remember seeing was MGS2. TBH tho if it follows the trend of PS1 games there aren't gonna be a shedload available anyway.

EDIT - found the ss :

You guys are probably right, or at the very least they're considering doing precisely that if this is anywhere near legit. Thus, I'm going to be kind of annoyed if they do that and I can't actually stick my Einhander or R-Types discs in my 40GB and blow shit up with impunity...

sony_qjgenth.jpg

More unconfirmed info.

Source.
http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-PS2-emulator-for-the-PlayStation-3-/pg/49/aid/124599

so hmmm.... downloadable emulator you say ;)

(I disagree with that last sentence though, I don't think this is a credible picture)

It is a sales pitch...what do you expect it to say? 'Don't bother as it obviously has absolutely zero games on it and it's just too damn heavy....'

Regards the true high definition BR player I guess it's aiming at the fact the PS3 is probably the cheapest profile 2.0 player? Someone correct me if I'm wrong tho.

I'll add that the Home v 1.0 with fw 2.5 has been debunked somewhat, still reckon it'll be here by the end of the year tho in open beta form.

Being in the Home Beta, I hope it isn't released this month. It needs a bit more content. Joining up in a group is pretty nice though.

You guys are probably right, or at the very least they're considering doing precisely that if this is anywhere near legit. Thus, I'm going to be kind of annoyed if they do that and I can't actually stick my Einhander or R-Types discs in my 40GB and blow shit up with impunity...
Einhander and R-Types are PS1 games. Those already play just fine.

Regards the true high definition BR player I guess it's aiming at the fact the PS3 is probably the cheapest profile 2.0 player? Someone correct me if I'm wrong tho.
You're wrong. The BDP-S350 is now available at under $300, and it recently received the promised Profile 2.0 update. It won't decode all audio codecs ala the PS3, but it will bitstream it (good enough for people with newer HDMI receivers). Of course, if this trend keeps up, we may very well see the BDP-S550 (which will do decode, too!) under $400, which would really be excellent, and finally end the "you must buy a PS3 for BR-D" thing going around.

I'm definitely looking forward to screwing around in Home sometime this year.

Back