PS3 - 1.80 coming tomorrow

Yeah it's great. I'm watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest upscaled to 1080i right now and it looks a bit better than I thought it would. It actually makes a little bit of a difference! I mean it's not like Blu-Ray vs DVD but still much better.

The largest difference was in the upscaled PS2/PSX games. Man oh man it looks great. Great update! Can't wait to see what they have in store next! :)

so far so good, have to get out of work (8 hours) to go bakc and test all the stuff out.

BTW anyone can tell me or link me to a full explanation of the different options on how it will affect the pic quality. Is it in the online manuals? ?

Updated this morning, no time to test yet though. Cant wait to get off work to throw in some old games and dvds.

I just installed the update, and quickly checked 2 games I had started to play prior. FFXII (which looked less than stellar) and MGS2(wasn't bad at all). All I can say is huge improvement with 1.80, and considering I never played 98% of ps2 library, this will be a pleasure!

sorry to disappoint but this won't do anything to halt sony's plummeting... they're about to go through exactly what sega went through when the saturn system bombed...

looks like it's down to nintendo and microsoft now

sorry to disappoint but this won't do anything to halt sony's plummeting... they're about to go through exactly what sega went through when the saturn system bombed...

looks like it's down to nintendo and microsoft now

ever tasted crow before?

are you serious? if you don't agree with me, why don't you look up their sales numbers and explain the planned 100 dollar price cut. do a little research

are you serious? if you don't agree with me, why don't you look up their sales numbers and explain the planned 100 dollar price cut. do a little research

the price cut is called being competitive. that doesn't mean they're tanking. the ps3 could come out on top, its only been 7 months. this is probably theyre biggest challenge though but it could still go either way

hey im not saying miracles don't happen but my money's against them. ultimately they just have a bunch of nice luxury features but lack a strong library of games or any real, useful innovations. the wii, while it lacks awesome graphics, is very very innovative and fun/new/interesting to play around with. and as for 360, well, considering they have virtually inexhaustible funding behind them, i doubt microsoft is going to tank. sony, on the other hand, looks pretty grim to me... they have been getting a lot of bad press lately too (anyone remember the headless goat party??)

hey im not saying miracles don't happen but my money's against them. ultimately they just have a bunch of nice luxury features but lack a strong library of games or any real, useful innovations. the wii, while it lacks awesome graphics, is very very innovative and fun/new/interesting to play around with. and as for 360, well, considering they have virtually inexhaustible funding behind them, i doubt microsoft is going to tank. sony, on the other hand, looks pretty grim to me... they have been getting a lot of bad press lately too (anyone remember the headless goat party??)

That's nice, but still doesn't change the fact that isn't the right thread to discuss it.

Agreed. Its nice your brain can't comprehend and all but you are just crapping a thread...Why don't you go make a new one where you can talk to yourself or others like yourself? K thx bye! :)

Agreed. Its nice your brain can't comprehend and all but you are just crapping a thread...Why don't you go make a new one where you can talk to yourself or others like yourself? K thx bye! :)

what do you figure my brain can't comprehend? jesus if you're going to flame me at least make a sensible comment... don't be so generic

what do you figure my brain can't comprehend? jesus if you're going to flame me at least make a sensible comment... don't be so generic

Well first of all you can't comprehend the notion that you should stop flaming and get out of this thread. I'm not going to waste my time and list the others.

I find it somewhat funny how just a few days ago there were people in this forum talking about how the PS3 could never get an update to do upscaling... and that Sony totally "fucked up again" and would have to release some external hardware.... LOL
moral? no one knows shit here, its all speculation and or an opinion, but such is life on the *.net where opinions are like assholes. everyone's got one!

love the updates MORE MORE MORE!

EDIT: the upscaling is fucking great!!!! =P not that that aspect was a selling feature for me but this is the shit! best update yet! load times on dvd's are super fast now too

sony's future isnt riding on the ps3. theyre a movie studio who just caked off of spiderman 3 and also a big CE company. of course the ps brand is a big money maker for them and if they lose it it'd be a big blow, but that doesn't mean theyre gonna tank. MS has plenty of bad press. Dell, probably one of their largest clients) started offering xp again because of user complaints, the mac commercials are running 24/7, and macs profits are skyrocketing. not to mention their home media division is hemmorhaging billions of dollars a year.

all im saying is it's only been 7 months in. theyre really behind the 8-ball because of a lack of content, but it's coming.....eventually....one day? MGS, GT5, FF13, GOW, Socom, Kingdom Hearts, just to name a few are probably big time system sellers. IMO, right now sony's offereings aint shit. ive said that plenty of times, and so far 1.80 havent changed my mind 1 bit. But to say theyre going down after only 7 months in the game (especially after selling over 200 mil+ consoles) is a big pre-mature.

G'ßöö;1031102760 said:
moral? no one knows shit here, its all speculation and or an opinion, but such is life on the *.net where opinions are like assholes. everyone's got one!

love the updates MORE MORE MORE!

EDIT: the upscaling is fucking great!!!! =P not that that aspect was a selling feature for me but this is the shit! best update yet! load times on dvd's are super fast now too

when you upscale with double, are you getting a black frame around the image?

Someone needs to post screens of their PSX/PS2 games running in 1080p. I want to see how the image quality looks.

Also turn on the new feature RGB to Full. Suppose to make the picture much betterl

Anyone have details on how the PC to PS3 video streaming works?

Well it takes about 1 whole minute to do. You basically go into Windows Media Player 11 and set it to share files over a network. I heard it ran through WMP11 so I just looked over all the options and sure enough I found it did. After that I had to figure what folders to stick things in, so I shoved all my music into the shared folders (won't allow custom files throughout the system to be shared) and it works like a charm.

I don't know if DLNA is the same protocol/standard that a lot of the "media center extender" products use, like D-Link's Medialounge stuff, but if so, TVersity's a pretty decent media server, but sometimes very crash prone if you feed it..."odd" content, aka non-standards compliant stuff.

Well it takes about 1 whole minute to do. You basically go into Windows Media Player 11 and set it to share files over a network. I heard it ran through WMP11 so I just looked over all the options and sure enough I found it did. After that I had to figure what folders to stick things in, so I shoved all my music into the shared folders (won't allow custom files throughout the system to be shared) and it works like a charm.

what folders? i set up everything but the folders the ps3 shows are always empty :/

I have my music, pictures and videos organized in the Windows default music, pictures and video folders. Works like a charm.

I wonder if the $100 price cut has something to do with them axing the actual PS2 hardware support and going over to software emulation..

so that's all you need to do and share the folders over the network?

I went with the activating sharing through the WMP11 route.

Here is the breakdown:

1) Open WMP11
2) Hit the 'Alt' key. Go to Tools > Options
3) Library tab
4) Click on the 'Configure Sharing' button
5) Check 'Share my media'
6) Click OK. A window should pop up.
7) You should see your PS3 listed as a Unsupported/Unrecognized device. Allow it access
8) If you don't see the PS3 then click on the 'Settings' button.
9) Make sure 'All Ratings' is selected under 'Star Ratings'
10) Hit OK, allow device

You should be good to go. If the above fails, then there must be some issue with your router settings.

when you upscale with double, are you getting a black frame around the image?
I did! the first dvd I put in after the update, the previews started and it was full letterbox...I was thinking WTF?!!??! I toggled the 16:9 ratio option and 16:9 zoom on the tv and it was ok once the movie started...I duhno wut went on there but am thankful its gone...that wooda ticked me off if it stayed that way. :mad: ...to that, can you roll back an update?

<yell>WHOLLY FUCKING SHIT DO REGULAR DVD'S LOOK WAAAAAAAAAAY BETTER!!! </yell> kudos to upscaling, never had it, wont be without now!

to this netwerk sharing? what options do you have in this gui when browsing?? is there a copy/paste or just streaming?

I can't wait to get home and DL this! The media sharing was about the only reason I was still turning on my 360 but if my PS3 can do that now then the poor old 360 is going to be gathering dust until the next Microsoft-bought exclusive comes out.

Okami is going to look grrrrreat! Only 30 hours through it so plenty of game left to enjoy upscaled!!!

P.S. All 3 current gen consoles have a lack of content issue. Nintendo is the worst. Where the hell are all the games?? XBOX360 isn't wowing me with its lineup either considering it's been out for a good deal longer than the other two. Gears of War, Dead Rising and Viva Pinata are about the only 3 games available that I can't already get for my PC (gaming system of choice for multiplatform stuff) that I'm remotely bothered about playing.

I just can't get any pictures to show up..Music works great..but pictures go to "No pictures in folder" or whatever it is...

Unless .jpg isn't supported :p

Is there any format limitation to the video playing from the PC to the PS3? What if it's a video that required you to download codex on your PC to play (like xvid, etc)?

i got my PS3 to find my PC as a media server, but some of my .WMV files won't stream. it says that they're unsupported data??

.wmv = is a windows movie format... so the PS3 cannot play .wmv's.

As for the update... its freaken awesome. I spent a lot of time this weekend watching movies I hadn't seen in a while because they just look soooo good. LOTR's looks really nice in 1080p :D

GOW2 actually looks worse in 1080i (than the "HD" mode at least) but movies and other games look great.

Anyone play with the new "full" RBG setting? It makes some things look a little more aliased, but it really makes the darker colors look nice. I think it might call for a brightness adjustment on my TV, though.
Anyone have some official pro/cons for this setting?

from avsforums...
RGB Full Range (HDMI)
[RGB Full Range (HDMI)] has been added as an option in (Display Settings) under (Settings).

If [Full] is set when using a TV that supports RGB full range, the picture quality of the game or video may be improved.

Limited RGB output signal is output in the range from 16 to 235.
Full RGB output signal is output in the range from 0 to 255.

Notes
If black sometimes appears bright and sometimes appears pale on the screen when [Limited] is selected, set this option to [Full].
If black appears dull on the screen when [Full] is selected, set this option to [Limited].
This setting can be used only when [HDMI] has been selected in [Video Output Settings] under (Settings) >
(Display Settings).

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)
[Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)] has been added as an option in (Display Settings) under (Settings).

Super-white signal can now be output when playing Blu-ray Discs (BDs), DVDs or AVCHD discs.

Off Disable super-white output.
On Enable super-white output.

Notes
If image quality is reduced or if the image does not look right when this option is set to [On], set to [Off].
This setting can be used only when [HDMI] has been selected in [Video Output Settings] under (Settings) >
(Display Settings). Also, [Automatic]* or [Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr] must be selected in [BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI)] under (Settings) > (BD/DVD Settings).
* The TV in use must support Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr input signals.
About x.v.Color
When [Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)] is set to [On], video content from AVCHD discs recorded in x.v.Color can be played with a wide color scale.

Notes
A TV that is compatible with x.v.Color (xvYCC) must be connected using an HDMI cable.
An AVCHD disc that was recorded in x.v.Color must be used.
The x.v.Color logo can be found on devices that support "xvYCC," which is an international standard for color space in moving images. An advantage of x.v.Color is that it can reproduce a wider color scale than the conventional standard.

The PS3 did a good job with DVDs before, I still need to see how it looks after this update. The feature I am really looking forward to though is being able to do an update without having to plug the controller in through the USB cable.

Not terribly impressed with the media sharing myself.

I found the interface clunky, slow to respond when streaming media and I couldn't start a music file and then do something else like start a picture slideshow. All you could do was start a music file and then stare at the visualiser, rather than go back and do other things like in the XBOX360 interface.

Also the picture slideshow options were light and the slideshow itself not very responsive, with buffering of controller clicks, followed by several pictures flying past, or pictures taking ages to stream. There was some odd slideshow option that turned your pictures into polaroids that dropped and flopped down but you could barely see them and it seemed like more of a novelty than a functional application.

Back