PS2 to VGTA adapt

Deezus

Gawd
Hey,

Just picked up a PS2 and ran it through my regular non-fancy TV and GT4 looks terrible.
I haven't played a racing sim on the TV since GT1, everything else has been on the PC.
So.. What would be the best adapter to use to play the PS2 on my CRT?
There are many out there after searching the web and I don't want to get something that just "works", would like it to look as best as possible.
I'll be upgrading to the Dell 2405FPW in the near future and I believe the PS2 would just hook right into it.

Thanks

Deezus said:
Hey,

Just picked up a PS2 and ran it through my regular non-fancy TV and GT4 looks terrible.
I haven't played a racing sim on the TV since GT1, everything else has been on the PC.
So.. What would be the best adapter to use to play the PS2 on my CRT?
There are many out there after searching the web and I don't want to get something that just "works", would like it to look as best as possible.
I'll be upgrading to the Dell 2405FPW in the near future and I believe the PS2 would just hook right into it.

Thanks

Plugging the PS2 into an LCD will make it look terrible because the LCD won't scale the resolution.

well GT4 has 1080i support.. so it wont look as bad as other ps2 games.. that is.. if you have the cables to make it go 1080i.

Well, I just started looking around my repair room and noticed the dongle that goes to my 7800GTX. Has all sorts of connections on it. Think those will work?
I'm looking for my manual now to see if it gives any obvious answers.
All else fails I'll just bring the PS2 down there and hook it up.

Buy a svideo cable for your ps2 and a svideo to crt plug for your monitor and play it on your old monitor dont play ps2 on an lcd it sux all kinds of ass.

If you plan to hook the PS2 to an LCD like the 2405 in the near future, you'll probably be best served by picking up a set of component cables for your PS2. Be advised that non-480p and non-widescreen games will look bad even with those cables. Check Hdtvarcade.com for the games you are wanting to play. It will tell you if they have the option to run in 480p and/or widescreen as the two don't always go hand in hand.

I would not reccommend using s-video through your card on the monitor, as that will more than likely not provide the sort of upgrade in graphics that you are looking for.

GT4 will only run in 1080i with the component cables, and to my knowledge there is no direct vga adapter for the PS2, I've only ever seen converter boxes. You can check lik-sang.com for those types of boxes, but even then to get the best graphical output you'll need component cables to hook to the converter box.

there is a direct ps2 vga cable, which came with the official ps2 linux kit,

however, very very few, if any, games support vga

I thought even with HD gt4 looked terrible. id go with component cables if possible.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. Just going to sit for awhile and not rack my brain on trying to make it look better. What it comes down to is me spoiling myself with PC graffics for too long and expecting the PS2 to look the same. And I don't want to throw money at an out of date console to make one game look close to the PC.
And FWIW, I'm going the FW900 CRT monitor route. If and when I hook the PS2 up to that and GT4 looks good will just be an added bonus.

Thanks again

Back