PS2 TO PC & LAG AGHHHHHH !

OPUS1

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to get my PS2 to work on my PC
All is well Picture wise and sound
But I get some bad lag between entering a button and when the screen responds.
Any ideas.
Help a neato Dad remain neato :rolleyes:
Thanks

unfortunately the PC takes time to process video to the screen, this is could be the reason for the lag.

To verify this, feed a TV signal in and have sound coming from the telly.
If they are wildly out of sync, a better solution for getting the video into the pc may help.

I'm using a WinTV card to watch TV, using my video recorder to change channels.
Sound goes directly from the video to my amp but the TV signal goes to my PC where the WinTV processes it for display.
There is a micro lag in the picture compared to the sound but its fine for TV.
Using a Radeon X1800XT for TV in gives the same micro lag but the picture quality is strangely like half vertical resolution. Not sure if anyone else has this issue, I'm not bothered as I use the WinTV card instead.
Edit: hmm, I'll make a new thread asking about the half resolution, cheers for the reminder :D

What card are you using for video in and what program are you using to watch the PS2?

I'm using the Hauppauge 150 tvr, pretty decent on the tv side.
The VC is a Nvidia 6600gt
Thanks

I'm pretty sure there will always be lag (especially with higher quality tv tuners).

there will always be input lag if you run consoles through a tv card or video card. you could buy a vga adapter of sorts and plug straight into the monitor.

Try using DScaler. The lag is because the 150 has an mpg encoder on it. I think dscaler will bypass that and then you shouldn't experience the lag (at least I've heard).

There are quite a few settings, most are self explanatory.
On the first run it asks you what card you have and then goes on to ask about CPU priority.
I always select Best Quality and allow other apps to run but give DScaler priority. This works flawlessly.

Once running, I disable all the onscreen menus and just use right click to access the options.

BtCard settings
Set Video input to the type of connector you are using. I am using SVideo for example.

You must configure the Video Format correctly. It gives quite a lot of choices, try each one related to your signal type until you get one that looks good.

Pixel Width I always set to the max but if you find it uses too much CPU or you wish to capture video at lower res to save to disk, choose whatever suits you.

Set the Audio up how you prefer, I have it disabled as sound goes straight to my hifi.

Channels
I dont use this as my Video recorder is my TV tuner.
You are on your own here.

View
I have always on top set for both window and full screen.
You can then work and watch TV with a small TV window in the corner of your screen.
Auto Size window is handy as it will resize the Window (when not full screen) depending on what is being viewed, ie 4:3 or widescreen.

Deinterlace
I have automatic format detect on
Video (TomsMoComp) is the best de-interlacing solution for me in the UK.
It may be just as good with NTSC.

Filters
I use Gamma and Sharpen.
Sharpen can look bad on a noisy picture.
Gamma is worth trying to see if it looks better on your monitor.

You may like to try the noise reduction filters if your picture is noisy.
This does use a fair bit more CPU.

AspectRatio
Mine is set to 4:3
Everything else is as default.

Settings
General Hardware setup - this allows you to change the CPU usage if you messed up doing this when it first ran.

Video Adjustments allows you to change the Brightness, Contrast, Hue and Colour.

Thats about it for my config.
You can experiment with the settings with no major issues so feel free to try things out.
Take care to note what you just did though.

If you really mess up, delete the Dscaler.ini file in the folder where DScaler installs.
It will be recreated from scratch next time you run it.
You can also back up this file before making changes for a quick way to restore the settings.

There are no doubt a few settings that could benefit me which I havent discovered yet or have forgotten.
I'm very happy with what I have setup and am not bothered to optimise it further.

DScaler is a great App :)

Wow, thanks Chernobyl1
You da BOMB dude !
I did what you said and because of you, once again....
I AM THE GREATEST DAD IN THE WORLD !!!
Thanks so much for the great directions.
The best part about this is I won't have to lug the kids 30" TV up 3 flights of stairs
when I take him back to College !!!!!!!
I lay myself prostrate before you.

OPUS1 said:
Wow, thanks Chernobyl1
You da BOMB dude !
I did what you said and because of you, once again....
I AM THE GREATEST DAD IN THE WORLD !!!
Thanks so much for the great directions.
The best part about this is I won't have to lug the kids 30" TV up 3 flights of stairs
when I take him back to College !!!!!!!
I lay myself prostrate before you.

hahaha
Glad it worked for you
:D

Back