PS2 games you can't live without?

SlimShady

[H]ard|Gawd
thinking of springing for a PS2 after hearing about HDLoader and having some cool capabilities as my modded xbox some time back. but, is it worth springing for given the library? i had a GC and was quite disappointed with the selection, had a modded xbox, but sold it for trip money, and now I'm considering a PS2.

so, which PS2 games make this a must own system?

whats HDloader?

i was thinking about the mods for the ps2.. but i would be scared to if its brand new...

Journier said:
whats HDloader?

i was thinking about the mods for the ps2.. but i would be scared to if its brand new...

It allows you to hook up an IDE HDD to the PS2 and basically copy games to the HDD and run them off of it instead of putting the games in the drive... sort of what an xbox can do. This won't work on the PSTwo since it doesn't have the option of adding a HDD.

are you still able to buy the regular PS2s? my best buy is completely sold out, and doesnt even have the new ones in yet. im assuming youll still be able to get the 'old' ones until they sell the rest of their stock?

Gran Turismo 3 definitely. That game is so addicting. It's like an RPG but with cars, since upgrading your car in my opinion feels a lot like leveling up a character (and it's just as addicting). And it's the only game to get the Supra right (best car ever). All other games always make it either look bad or just different, Gran Turismo 3 got it just right. Unfortunately they made the Supra turn like CRAP, it's only good for straight-aways in that game.

Definitely Gran Turismo
Any Star Ocean game
Tekken Tag
Suikoden games
Some kind of Tactics game, whether FF or Disgaea, La Pucelle, etc

The old PS2's won't be available for retail when the new models come out.

And yes, I'm very bothered by them eliminating HDD capability.

I use HDLoader (now HDAdvance) myself. It's a pretty nifty app. There are some games that aren't compatible with it, though. Here's a compatibility list. Keep in mind, when installing any non-official HDD, the PS2's limit is 127GB. I made the mistake of buying a 160, so I can't use a lot of it. Also, you can only save games to the official Sony HDD, which is teh ultra-suck.

As for PS2 games:

FFX
Viewtiful Joe
Silent Hill 2
Just about any GTA game

I'm not a hardcore PS2 gamer, so I don't have many more games than that.

You can't exactly use the HD as a massive memory card. No game (aside from a select few, FFXI etc) supports direct saving to the HD; you can only copy your existing saves from the memory card to the HD.

I cant believe noone has said

BURNOUT 3!!

I have hdloader and its awesome because it cuts the load times to 1/4th the time.

MasterShredder said:
It allows you to hook up an IDE HDD to the PS2 and basically copy games to the HDD and run them off of it instead of putting the games in the drive... sort of what an xbox can do. This won't work on the PSTwo since it doesn't have the option of adding a HDD.

USB 2.0

metal gear solid

not mgs 2 it was bad but the knew one is suppose to be like the 1st and it comes out in nov

gta san andreies

gran turismo 4 (i hope)

hdloader is no longer in production but u can dl off the net but u will have to mod ur ps2 to make it read the cd

there might be some copys u can buy online but i not know

please do not buy that crap of a console! please just save ur 300 for a nice shiny new x800! go pc gaming! oh and get half life 2 with all its glory with the money you will save over!

Burnout 3.. the ANTI racing game.. got to love a game that rewards bad driving.

GTA3 and Vice City (verdict is still out of SA.. having to eat and watch fat/fitness micromanaging canda sucks.

Guilty Gear X series

Sly Cooper is the best platformer

Ico

FF X is cool but run from FF X-2

Simpsons Road Rage

SSX 3

lots of others for sure.

hey is ffx-2 that bad? well if it is.. goood thing i didn't buy it :) maybe when its 19.99 :)

aZn_plyR said:
hey is ffx-2 that bad? well if it is.. goood thing i didn't buy it :) maybe when its 19.99 :)

I thought even FFX was garbage. Didn't even think about getting FFX-2.

FFX-2 was crap.

FFX was at least acceptable.

But I assume San Andreas is on that list. As well as the other GTAs. If youre an RPGer - I really like Dark Cloud 2. I also want to try the XMen Legends...

aZn_plyR said:
It's not that bad, but the battle system is kind of weird as is how you level up specific jobs and gain skills. It's already $19.99.

couple of things ....

HDLoader can be patched to allow HD's over 127GB. the patch enables 48bit LBA support.

also, you do not need to mod your PS2 in order to use HDLoader. Thats the point of using HDLoader, no mods need to be done. also, there are plenty of places to buy it online, and HDAdvance is just a ripoff of HDLoader.

and the PS2 only has 1.1 USB ports. it was verified the other day.

Nihilanth99 said:
gran turismo 3.

and gran turismo 4 when it comes out this december :)

AGREE AGREE AGREE!! :D

I don't have a PS2 but played GT 1 & 2... Will be buying in a couple of weeks just for GT 4
Well if there's a PC version might not buy one

a side question... any import games worth hunting down for PS2? i just checked and saw that they released a guitar freak game (complete with guitar controller ;) ) that i would love to get my hands on. just curious if there were others out there that would be worth searching for and playing, even if you cant read the text. :)

Nihilanth99 said:
gran turismo 3.

and gran turismo 4 when it comes out this december :)

Bingo Baby!!!

When I had a PS2 I had 2 games. GT3:A, and GTA:VC. I sold it and kept my memory card and GT3:A game. Buying a new one when the GT4 comes out. I heard it was pushed back to January though? Bastards!!!!!!

Back