PS2 Component Cables

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there any brand you guys would recommend, or are they by and large the same? My local BB only has some of a brand I didn't recognize, so I'm hesitant to get them. Anyways, just looking for input, thanks in advance!

I've only used Madcatz (same thing with my Xbox), but I'd wager a cookie that if there is indeed a difference between the more affordable brands and the more extravagant ones (IE Monster Cable), it'd be an insignificant difference. It's just something that I couldn't possibly justify spending an extra $40 for.

You can hit ebay and get some used monsters, but honestly I bought the cyclone brand back when I worked at best buy and they were less expenisve but still very nice. I also have the mad catz, and, I would wager, you won't perceive the difference between the two.

I've had both sets hooked up to numerous HDTV's and I've never perceived the quality difference. Thats not to say that one isn't there, but just that I can't notice, and never tried nitpicking.

Depending on what you want to hook up to, even with the components, all but the newest 480p widescreen games will look very ass-like -(cough)-LCD's -(cough)-

My advice? DON'T waste your money on new Monster Cables. You're paying a premium for the brand name, not the quality of the cables.

Try going to your local GameStop/EB Games stores, and search through their used A/V cables. You might be able to find some used component cables for about $7.99. When reselling used cables, GameStop doesn't care what brand they are, they just sell them based on what type. When I used to work at GameStop, we sold used PS2 component cables for $7.99. We had used Monster and Sony brand cables. I personally own Sony's component cables and they work fine, God of War looks nice using component cables and running in progressive scan. :D

2nd'd: God of War almost looks like a different game when run in 480p/16x9 mode. Definitely a game that takes advantage. Shadow of the Colussus also looks nice.

Ok, so only just in the past few days have I started bothering trying to figure out what all the hdtv-type stuff means. I'm thinking of buying this tv for gaming:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03004&id=1099395889924

It has component inputs but it supports only 480i, not 480p. Is it worth connecting a PS2 to the TV via the component inputs if it's not progressive scan? I mean, am I going to see a difference at all?

edit: I also don't quite understand the difference between RGB input and Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr :confused:

Slartibartfast said:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03004&id=1099395889924

It has component inputs but it supports only 480i, not 480p. Is it worth connecting a PS2 to the TV via the component inputs if it's not progressive scan? I mean, am I going to see a difference at all?

Since it's not an HDTV, the only benefit you will get out of it is improved color. But then again, the accuracy of color reproduction depends on BOTH the TV and the cables.

Slartibartfast said:
Ok, so only just in the past few days have I started bothering trying to figure out what all the hdtv-type stuff means. I'm thinking of buying this tv for gaming:

edit: I also don't quite understand the difference between RGB input and Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr :confused:

You could get a good 19" PC mointer for that.

Obi_Kwiet said:
You could get a good 19" PC mointer for that.

Yeah but I am in need of a smallish tv for the ps2 and dreamcast, and not all dc games support vga-out

RGB is sometimes passed through as a vga style connector or as as set of Red Green and Blue cables with seperate cables for Horizontal and Vertical controls as well.

You really won't need to worry about any of that for your ps2. I would get a cheap set of mad catz comp. cables used from Gamestop or where-ever for general use, as recommended earlier by zero. For less than $10 bucks it can't hurt.

Back