PS1 keeps going to the Memory Card/CD Player screen.

CastletonSnob

Weaksauce
The other day, I bought an original Gray Playstation from a game store. On my new (New to me) PS1, I keep getting the "Memory Card/CD Player" screen, even though my discs aren't that scratched. Could it just be the age of the console?

The other day, I bought an original Gray Playstation from a game store. On my new (New to me) PS1, I keep getting the "Memory Card/CD Player" screen, even though my discs aren't that scratched. Could it just be the age of the console?
Yea that is a bad laser. I would return it for a refund but like above said you can get a new replacement assembly for $30. It is a easy repair job. You can even replace the CD drive with a SD card reader if you not scared of a little soldering.

~25 year old hardware has a high chance of failing even if it's working now. And that is the failure that is common to the PS1. So replacing it wouldn't be a bad investment.

However, I've played my PS1 games off of Epsxe mapped to an Xbox controller for years. Other than nostalgia, there is little reason to have a PS1.. original fat PS2 being more practical, being it contains a complete PS1, rather than the emulation of later versions

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I got an original Xbox and found out that you need to remove the clock capacitor, and I got a gray PS1 with a dying laser.

Is this something you have to deal with for old consoles, or do I just have bad luck?

I got an original Xbox and found out that you need to remove the clock capacitor, and I got a gray PS1 with a dying laser.

Is this something you have to deal with for old consoles, or do I just have bad luck?
Unfortunately yes. These are 20+ year old systems at this point. The good thing is they are simple to repair for the most part compared to newer systems.

Yes.

Wait till you start buying cartridge games.

Pretty much all old consoles have a common failure area. There are a number of repair channels on YouTube dedicated to fixing them up or swapping the trouble areas with something more modern.

I noticed some of my SNES carts are starting to lose their batteries so I need to open them up and do a swap soon. Kinda sad I lost my Chrono Trigger saves before I could dump them.

yup old laser. try flipping it up-side-down.

edit: kyle hill on yt posted this yesterday
1649970919354.png

Last edited:
Pretty much all old consoles have a common failure area. There are a number of repair channels on YouTube dedicated to fixing them up or swapping the trouble areas with something more modern.

I noticed some of my SNES carts are starting to lose their batteries so I need to open them up and do a swap soon. Kinda sad I lost my Chrono Trigger saves before I could dump them.
Yeah, I had to take 3 of my SNES games to a store to get their battery replaced, and I'm afraid to play them again because the battery might die again.

~25 year old hardware has a high chance of failing even if it's working now. And that is the failure that is common to the PS1. So replacing it wouldn't be a bad investment.

However, I've played my PS1 games off of Epsxe mapped to an Xbox controller for years. Other than nostalgia, there is little reason to have a PS1.. original fat PS2 being more practical, being it contains a complete PS1, rather than the emulation of later versions
All PS3s can play PS1 games as well, as opposed to only the first few SKUs being able to play PS2 games (initial two with hardware BC and one with software BC).

Back