PS1 Classics: PS3 v Vita

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
Considering either a PS3 or Vita. I still have a backlog of PS3 games that I'd like to play (Red Dead Redemption, Ni No Kuni, Dark Souls, etc). I'm also interested in some PS1 Classics...in particular, Suikoden 1 and 2, Castlevania: SOTN, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Suikoden or other PS1 Classics on the PS3 on a larger screen. I have a 42" LCD in my office where I would likely connect a PS3.

Vita would be about the same price and will probably look better given the small screen.

Thanks.

I can't comment on the PS3, but on the Vita - the retro gaming catalog is absolutely fantastic. The best part is having those games on the go. This is further supported by the voodoo black magic wizardry that is the vita's ability to suspend at any time, hold a charge for weeks, and resume right where you left off. Makes those older games with crappy save locations awesome. I've also noticed a much longer battery life playing the classics than say - Killzone. Coupled with that Sony external battery charger thingy - I could go for days without an outlet (great for traveling).

The graphics for those PS1 titles are showing their age - so viewing them on a small handheld screen is just fine (and preferable to using a 70 inch TV imo). But my vote would be for the vita for the portability alone.

The Vita isn't for everyone, maybe missed some of it's expectations, and memory cards are stupid expensive... However, if you're looking for jRPGs and PS1, PS2, and PSP classics gaming - there is no substitute.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The Vita's poor sales status does not deter me in the least. My only concern is that I've owned several handheld consoles over the years (2 PSPs, 2 DSIs, and a 3DS XL) and have never kept them. I think that's a personal thing I need to think about. Going to take a closer look at the Vita. The remote play feature with the PS4 might be handy as well.

The best part is having those games on the go. This is further supported by the voodoo black magic wizardry that is the vita's ability to suspend at any time, hold a charge for weeks, and resume right where you left off. Makes those older games with crappy save locations awesome.

Can’t speak for the Vita exactly yet I know this seemingly tiny feature made my PSP awesome. I would play many of the old JRPGs like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VII/IX on the PSP. The ability to stop anytime and anywhere then continue right were you left off hours or days later was a lifesaver.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Suikoden or other PS1 Classics on the PS3 on a larger screen. I have a 42" LCD in my office where I would likely connect a PS3.

Castlevania Chronicles looks fine on my 52" screen. I imagine most 2D games will be fine.

You should also consider the PSP if one of your primary interests is PS1 games. You should be able to get one dirt-cheap these days.

Looks like Sony yanked support for the PSP and Suikoden 2 is not available for download. Apparently it will work but requires some hoop jumping.

I think I'm going to get a PS3 and try these classics. If it doesn't work out, I still have other games I want to play on the platform.

Back