PS..Loud Pop,Smoke,then powers on!!??

g1xx3r

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got my 9800GX2 and a PCP&C 750 Quad from ZZF..Installed it in my sig rig..Heres what happenend and hopefully someone can tell me WTF happened..

The PC wouldnt power up(no fans,boot post.The 680i has a Blue LED which was lit so power was getting to the MB.When I hit power,the Orange LED would light up but no life.Holding the power button for a few seconds would turn off the orange led..

So I gather
1..PS is supplying power to MB
2..Power switch is working as shown by the LEDs responding..

Reseated all connectors,removed cmos,resetted all that good stuff

After a while for the hell of it I hit power once again and got..
Grinding,loud po,smoke exhausted from PS and the rig powered up..WTF!!!!!
Been running for hours since then.Benchmarked and played a few games..Now I get random shutdowns..Called Evga and will be calling PCP&C tomorrow..

What happened??I thought POP,Smoke=Dead..I checked everything an couldnt find any fried components..Thanx in advance

smell your components. did the smoke come from the case fans or psu exhaust? of psu exhaust, count on getting a new psu.

have you taken the PS out and eye-balled it.very strange smoke and still running.I would look before there's a possability of hurting something else.peace

past 666 posts.I am glad:D

smell your components. did the smoke come from the case fans or psu exhaust? of psu exhaust, count on getting a new psu.

I happened to have the side panel off and it definitely came from the PSU..Burnt smell and all but THAT caused the system to boot up finally..

I happened to have the side panel off and it definitely came from the PSU..Burnt smell and all but THAT caused the system to boot up finally..

fairly obviously, it shouldnt do that to boot up. RMA it, asap, and dont use it.

Waiting to hear back from PCP&C now for RMA instructions..Should I RMA through them or ZZF??Id rather get a new one than a refurb..Im wondering if I should also RMA my mobo in case that caused the PS to go poof..Still wondering WHY it powered up AFTER the poof..:confused:

BTW..It randomly shuts down now..

Partially blown cap I would imagine, maybe one of the regulators went as well on the PSU, I'd switch it out for a new one before it totally fubar's your system. If your system is powering on then I would imagine that the mainboard is okay.

Partially blown cap I would imagine, maybe one of the regulators went as well on the PSU, I'd switch it out for a new one before it totally fubar's your system. If your system is powering on then I would imagine that the mainboard is okay.

Setup the expedited RMA through ZZF so a new one is on the way..The system is powered up and all looks good but no to trusting of the PS at the moment..Actually just ran 3dmark06 on it ans broke 17k..:p

When the new PS gets here,Ill open the old one and see what I can see(if it doesnt void warranty)..

It sounds like something was shorted to a power rail and it burnt away eventually.
It may well have caused some damage so I would insist on a new PSU and wouldnt use that one again.

I had a thermaltake do the "griding noise" followed by a pop and smoke.

It took the mobo out with it sadly.

Setup the expedited RMA through ZZF so a new one is on the way..The system is powered up and all looks good but no to trusting of the PS at the moment..Actually just ran 3dmark06 on it ans broke 17k..:p

When the new PS gets here,Ill open the old one and see what I can see(if it doesnt void warranty)..

Hi, I represent PC Power as well. Do not open the old PSU as this will void your warranty and ZZF may not accept it back. I would remove it, take it away from your system and see if you smell any burnt components. If not, you may have another problem. It is not just highly unusual, but highly improbable that the PSU would smoke and not blow the fuse and be completely dead.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks

Hi, I represent PC Power as well. Do not open the old PSU as this will void your warranty and ZZF may not accept it back. I would remove it, take it away from your system and see if you smell any burnt components. If not, you may have another problem. It is not just highly unusual, but highly improbable that the PSU would smoke and not blow the fuse and be completely dead.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks

Thanx for the heads up..Im scratching my head also..I happened to have the case open and looking directly at my rig when I hit the power button..No question the pop,smoke came from the PS and smoke exhausted out the rear of the PS..(scared the shit out of me actually..:p) but it powered right up after that..And yes the smell was horrible..Will definitely update you on what I find..Thanx

Lol... I am sorry to hear of your issue with PCPC OP and I'm sure they'll make it up to you, but some of these responses are funny. Nonetheless I hate to say it but Pc Power and cooling wasn't what it was 5 (nearly 6) years ago when I bought my Turbo Cool 510 ATX for nearly 300 dollars. Unfortunately I expect these things to happen, and although the silencer 710 is a good PSU both in price and performance... These things should happen more often than we hear.

Honestly, the way PC Power does business has not changed at all. Quality control and reliability are still at the top of their list. They are even in the same building they have been for many, many years.The 750 Quad has been a very reliable PSU, and the entire PC Power line has an extremely low failure rate.

We don't know what caused this problem to start with. It's often hard to know what failed first, or if he may have a bad component that caused the initial problem.

If that happened to me, that PSU would be in the box already. No way I'd risk my home, or the rest of my gear to run 3dmark! AC power is nasty to mess around with and is not worth the risk.

Honestly, the way PC Power does business has not changed at all. Quality control and reliability are still at the top of their list.

I'll 2nd that....I own 4 of their PSU's ...I had to RMA my 510 Silencer a few years back..The way they handled the RMA is what made me buy the next 3 from them ...all 3 new ones are 750 quads, and I love them..:)

are you absolutely sure there's no melted connector? i burnt out a floppy connector on a PSU once and although it still worked (still works today i think) you had to be very careful with it...

If that happened to me, that PSU would be in the box already. No way I'd risk my home, or the rest of my gear to run 3dmark! AC power is nasty to mess around with and is not worth the risk.

+1 for this. RMA that thing asap!

Got my new PS yesterday and installed it..So far so good with NO issues..When I pulled the old PS,it did have the smell of burnt electronics.I didnt open it so I couldnt see what was fried,however I noticed what looked like a piece of plastic wrapping in the corner.Kinda looked like whats left behind from a firecracker..Hmmm..

Got my new PS yesterday and installed it..So far so good with NO issues..When I pulled the old PS,it did have the smell of burnt electronics.I didnt open it so I couldnt see what was fried,however I noticed what looked like a piece of plastic wrapping in the corner.Kinda looked like whats left behind from a firecracker..Hmmm..

That sounds like the plastic covering of a capacitor. Apparently one of the caps in this PSU decided to let out the magical smoke :) Since PCP&C seems to include some redundancy in their PSUs it kept working despite losing a cap. Not bad.

That sounds like the plastic covering of a capacitor. Apparently one of the caps in this PSU decided to let out the magical smoke :) Since PCP&C seems to include some redundancy in their PSUs it kept working despite losing a cap. Not bad.

Wow..Good to know since I replaced it with the same model..Very interesting..

I'm glad to hear that the replacement PSU worked out for you. If I can ever be of any assistance just let me know.

Back