PS help

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
I am doing some Vol. Work for an organization's web site. One thing that the president would like is to turn the b&w emblem into a colorful one. One thing he mentioned is to turn it gold in order to match the lapel pins they hand out and wear. However, this task is beyond me, and so I look to you all for assistance/ guidence.

This is the link to the graphic

My idea- Make everything white in the image transparent, so that I may add colors behind the image while retaining the lines. The next step would be to darken the lines a little to make them more prevalent when color is added behind the 'lines layer'.

I know its not the most glamorous piece here fellas, but lets flex some PS muscles none the less.

If I may make a suggestion... 156px × 129px just isn't enough to work with here. You need a larger image at a higher rez than a 72 dpi jpg. It also might be easier to work in a vector based program like Illustrator but you would need the native file format for that.

Edit: I'm moving this to Digital Artwerk, as that's where the PS gurus hang out. ;)

thanks for moving it to the correct place. This is the only format of the file I have to work with. Both size and filetype. Nobody seems to know where the original is.

Do you have a vector-based program you can do this with? It would probably make the end-product look a ton better, given the illustrated nature of the original.

To make this look really decent, you're going to have to get down into the details and spend a couple hours drawing in all the little highlights and shadows so it actually looks metalic. I did a 5-minute hack-job on it, but guessing this isn't what you had in mind.

If all you want is a quick-and-easy gold color in the background, duplicate the layer, set the top one to "multiply", edit the color of the lower original layer to gold, blur for quick-and-easy shading... and use wand-select tool + paint-brush to add in the rest of the gold color:

eagle-logo.jpg

Or there may be a gold-metallic filter in there somewhere that I haven't found yet - I wouldn't be terrribly surprised to find out that's in there somewhere. :p

If you could re-draw it in a vector program like Illustrator or Flash, add in shadows and highlights layer, you would have a much better end-product. Or you could just paint in all the colors in PS, which would take a couple hours to get right beyond what I did just now, and may still not look that good due to low-res original file, as lethal mentioned.

This is the only format of the file I have to work with. Both size and filetype. Nobody seems to know where the original is.
I presume this logo is used for other things like letterhead as well? Perhaps you could get a sheet and do a high rez scan from it?

Adobe used to have a program called Streamline that would trace to a vector format. It's been discontinued, but if you have a recent edition of Illustrator, it supposedly has a built-in tracing tool.

http://www.adobe.com/products/streamline/

And madFive, that looks pretty damn sweet considering what you had to work with. :)

Do you have a vector-based program you can do this with? It would probably make the end-product look a ton better, given the illustrated nature of the original.

To make this look really decent, you're going to have to get down into the details and spend a couple hours drawing in all the little highlights and shadows so it actually looks metalic. I did a 5-minute hack-job on it, but guessing this isn't what you had in mind.

If all you want is a quick-and-easy gold color in the background, duplicate the layer, set the top one to "multiply", edit the color of the lower original layer to gold, blur for quick-and-easy shading... and use wand-select tool + paint-brush to add in the rest of the gold color:

eagle-logo.jpg

Or there may be a gold-metallic filter in there somewhere that I haven't found yet - I wouldn't be terrribly surprised to find out that's in there somewhere. :p

If you could re-draw it in a vector program like Illustrator or Flash, add in shadows and highlights layer, you would have a much better end-product. Or you could just paint in all the colors in PS, which would take a couple hours to get right beyond what I did just now, and may still not look that good due to low-res original file, as lethal mentioned.

+1 on redoing the logo in illustrator. All logos we work with for our clients in print (advertising) are illustrator files (often converted to eps). It's just all round better.

eagle-logo.jpg

Very informative post, Thanks. And that logo does look good esp if you did not spend too much time on it. I appreciate it

Back