proxying an internet connection through a work computer (not illegal)

darw_n

[H]ard|Gawd
here's my situation. I live on a ski resort, up on the mountain in one of the buildings that is not used in the summer (think "the shinning" but in summer). They do not have phone lines or cable lines that I can use up there. They do have a network set up though. When talking with IT, they sympathized with me, but its just impossible to directly hook up my comp to their network, but they said if I can figure out a way to pull the internet connection without logging onto the buisness intranet, then cool. This is very critical for me since I use skype to make international calls, and I am an internet junkie anyways, I need to figure out a way to proxy it through a work PC. I can log in all I want to their PC's, but I do not have admin access, and can't install on their comps using windows installer. Is there a way to do this? Say via a USB connection? or anyway at all? Keep in mind, I am not hacking their system, they just don't want a foreign comp on the intra-net.

please tell me there is a way, i do not want to get satellite broadband

thanks!

I think they are just blowing smoke at you. If they have a domain and a DHCP server all you need is a jack and get an IP address and not necessarily be on their 'network', though it still is a security risk. I think they more or less sent you on a snipe hunt.

yeah, I was actually going to test it, however, certain things happen. First off, this is vail resorts, so its not like their network is cheap. Second, each comp has a IT number assigned to it, everyt time I call in to IT, they need that number to "see" whatever it is they need to see, so that puts DHCP in question, i wonder if they are manually assigning IPs? And lastly, if I try to use Skype (I managed to install it on a work PC) or go to places like piratebay or xbox-scene, I get blocked, so I am not sure how to cicumvent that. And sorry if I seem naive with networking, I am for the most part...

Now I would imagine an IT number is purely an assest number used to identify the pc in question, it may also be relevent to the pc name, but I doubt they use static IP addresses due to the fact they are a pain to admin.

I think you should just try to plug in and see, most of the time you would get a net connection providing you can get an IP address from the server.

As for getting their firewall, I am sure there are ways to do it, but they are all questionable (and I believe against the rules here). The sites will be blocked as they are considered bandwidth hogs and illegals. The skype you would need to ask them about, technically they could just open a port for you, but again, it may be due to bandwidth issues that they block it. If you can get on the net, just ask if they are specifically blocking skype, if not, it may just be your settings not being right for the proxy etc.

yeah, I was actually going to test it, however, certain things happen. First off, this is vail resorts, so its not like their network is cheap. Second, each comp has a IT number assigned to it, everyt time I call in to IT, they need that number to "see" whatever it is they need to see, so that puts DHCP in question, i wonder if they are manually assigning IPs? And lastly, if I try to use Skype (I managed to install it on a work PC) or go to places like piratebay or xbox-scene, I get blocked, so I am not sure how to cicumvent that. And sorry if I seem naive with networking, I am for the most part...

Back