Providing IMEI Before Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

xx0xx

Gawd
Checked search and didn't see any similar posts. I am currently selling an iPhone 4S and have been asked to provide the IMEI before selling it. Is this a concern? Curious because a google search ends up in very mixed messages between sellers and buyers.

It seems an IMEI might be cloneable onto a device with a bad ESN? I do see IMEIs sometimes provided in eBay auctions, so that makes me think it's likely safe to give? I'm assuming the reason for which it would be asked is to check that it's clean.

Any insight? Thanks. First time selling a phone.

There's no real issue of someone having your ESN/IMEI who wants to verify that it's clean - it's the serial number of your phone, not a whole lot more than that.

Someone who wants to clone your IMEI would hardly ask you to buy it with their forum account and Heatware visible, but if you are really concerned with someone cloning your IMEI, just show a screenshot of the clean ESN/IMEI from either of these sites:
http://checkesnfree.com/

http://swappa.com/esn

AFAIK cloning ESN/IMEI is illegal and against federal law in the US so if you can get any private information from them before giving them the ESN/IMEI you should be fine.

If you have concern about giving out the IMEI... try this. Take a pic of the IMEI on your phone (the actual sticker probably). Then go punch your IMEI into a blacklist checker and take a screenshot of it. Then black out all but the last 5 or so characters of the IMEI on the pic and the screenshot, and send the potential buyer both.

There's no real issue of someone having your ESN/IMEI who wants to verify that it's clean - it's the serial number of your phone, not a whole lot more than that.

On the contrary, someone with enough motivation can use a valid IMEI or ESN to jumpstart a blacklisted phone or get warranty service on an out of warranty phone. There are plenty of reasons to protect your IMEI or ESN. Just because its illegal doesn't mean it isn't done.

I personally would not provide it assuming you accept Paypal or another service that will allow the buyer recourse.

I sold a phone on eBay about a year ago and had about ten people ask for the ESN. All said they wanted to ensure the phone was legit and several had stories of how they purchased phones in the past that were blacklisted. I responded to every single one of them that I assumed they were trustworthy, but because of the ability to clone the number I would not provide it. I didn't get a response from any of them trying to justify the need and the phone sold for market value.

Just my $ .02.

I personally would not provide it assuming you accept Paypal or another service that will allow the buyer recourse.

I sold a phone on eBay about a year ago and had about ten people ask for the ESN. All said they wanted to ensure the phone was legit and several had stories of how they purchased phones in the past that were blacklisted. I responded to every single one of them that I assumed they were trustworthy, but because of the ability to clone the number I would not provide it. I didn't get a response from any of them trying to justify the need and the phone sold for market value.

Just my $ .02.

Sure there's a need. People who sell handsets with blacklisted ESN or IMEI. I've bought and sold phones on craigslist locally and once serious as a buyer or have a buyer who is sold on a phone give ESN to confirm the phone is in hood standing with my carrier.

I'll probably do the screenshot / IMEI partially-blurred option. I have good Heat, so I think that will help buyers trust me if I decide not to give it out. I'd prefer it not be stolen and used on another device.

It may make it tougher to make a sale, but I'm thinking it's better to be safe than to risk having to go through a huge process or loss if something does go awry. I'd rather avoid the hassle up front.

Thanks for the answers, guys. Especially the blacklist-checking sites. I should have thought to search for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back