Proud owner of a EVGA 640GTS..

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow... what a transition from 2 7800GT's in SLI.

A lot heavier.. wow... I really wasn't expecting the weight.. Fit's in nicely though, with a 250mm fan blowing air across it.

Stock, right out of the box overclocking, using the 158.27, using nVidia overclocker...

Core Clock of 607MHz
Memory Clock: 991Mhz

I think I just wet myself..

I'm really interested to see what this does over the next week as it gets a bit more broken in. Currently downloading 3D06 to see how it performs stability wise, and then off to gaming.

I'm soooo kicking myself for waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Ati's response and holding off getting this card.

Any other suggestions to improve the overclocking are MORE than welcome. I'll be downloading RivaTuner here in a bit and see how it evolves.

so you're really PROUND huh?

lol I know you didn't mean to spell it that way.

Screw the overclocking, you're fine at those settings already. Download the DIRT demo :D It has starforce, but it's fun and looks pretty.

Posts like these make me even more excited about receiving mine tomorrow.

Loving my 8800 Ultra! It will be intresting to see if nVidia can out do this release with G92. This is the third core in a row that nVidia has done great work since the 5000 series crap, and the 8800 might be their best release ever, relative to the competition. Four impressive cores in four calander years would be rather remarkable.

Loving my 8800 Ultra! It will be intresting to see if nVidia can out do this release with G92. This is the third core in a row that nVidia has done great work since the 5000 series crap, and the 8800 might be their best release ever, relative to the competition. Four impressive cores in four calander years would be rather remarkable.

You sir, have too much money.

Lol yeah they are heavy, my friend said the same thing when he got his.

Same with me, I knew it was going to be big, but that mofo is heavy!! it's those stinking heatpipes on it, plus the general beefiness of the card. I still think "dang, heavy" everytime I take it out of my case.

8800Ultra huh.... good card... but why? :p

Screw the overclocking, you're fine at those settings already. Download the DIRT demo :D It has starforce, but it's fun and looks pretty.

I think the GTS does ok with overclocking, especially since it does so well at OCing, and doesn't take a huge hit temperature wise! And I dislike that DIRT demo... it looks pretty, but it brings my GTS to shame, plays it too slow :mad:

Edit:
Not compared to an overclocked GTX for $500-550 :).

QFT!!! Should have spent a bit extra and got 2 GTX's and been REALLY future-proofed ;)

Same with me, I knew it was going to be big, but that mofo is heavy!! it's those stinking heatpipes on it, plus the general beefiness of the card. I still think "dang, heavy" everytime I take it out of my case.

8800Ultra huh.... good card... but why? :p

I think the GTS does ok with overclocking, especially since it does so well at OCing, and doesn't take a huge hit temperature wise! And I dislike that DIRT demo... it looks pretty, but it brings my GTS to shame, plays it too slow :mad:

Heh, I got mine and was shocked at how big/heavy it was in general :). eVGA 8800GTS 640 several months ago. As far as the Ultra, I don't get it either, but it's his money I guess. Overclocking is great on these cards, mine's purring at 621/1458/2000 (core/shader/memory). The DIRT demo does indeed bring most cards down, but... gosh is it gorgeous :D!

Citizen86 edit said:
Edit:

QFT!!! Should have spent a bit extra and got 2 GTX's and been REALLY future-proofed ;)[/

Yep, or even 2 GTS 640's and been faster than the one Ultra for about a hundred less. :p

Any other suggestions to improve the overclocking are MORE than welcome. I'll be downloading RivaTuner here in a bit and see how it evolves.

Use RivaTuner to increase the fan speed to 87% or 94% (those are the two big noise-stepping levels downward, higher if you want, or lower if you want, but I found those to be decently comfortable, your mileage may vary). The auto fan speed that is enabled with the nVidia control panel keeps it around 60% most of the time... the increased speed makes a big difference on the overclocking speeds/stability.

Use RivaTuner to increase the fan speed to 87% or 94% (those are the two big noise-stepping levels downward, higher if you want, or lower if you want, but I found those to be decently comfortable, your mileage may vary). The auto fan speed that is enabled with the nVidia control panel keeps it around 60% most of the time... the increased speed makes a big difference on the overclocking speeds/stability.

That's what I wanted to say! I forgot.... better cooling = more than 60% fan speed! I set mine to 90% and it's not so bad. I found that 100% sounds like a jet engine though (as in it is definitely audible). 90% is pretty comfortable for me and it idles at or below 60C usually :D ......pretty good for these infernos!

Not that it's much compared to the 2900XT :p NOT FLAMEBAIT!!!

So far, stable at core of 632MHz, and memory at 989Mhz.

I think thats not too bad for it not even broken in. Again, kudos to EVGA and nVidia.

you need a custom bios that is set to those clocks. Right now i have a custom bios that sets it to 600/900 but thats not enough for me so im at 648/2000 in rivatuner.

How does one create a custom BIOS? Is it feasible to make a small bump up in voltage to stabilize a higher overclock without damaging the card?

Yea but i didnt write the bios, i have a friend that did it for me... most manufacturers suggest that you stay with the stock BIOs.

Well I'd say just about any GTS is safe at 600/900, so I'd be interested in getting a custom BIOS.
Does it also change shader clocks?

Well I'd say just about any GTS is safe at 600/900, so I'd be interested in getting a custom BIOS.
Does it also change shader clocks?

I wouldnt mind making one for you, just tell me the clocks your card is stable at and want the bios flashed too. And yes it also changes the shader clock to any value.

Its actually very easy to do.

Im running 2 evga 640 GTS in SLI and each card has its bios stock speeds set to 621/2000. Have never run into any problems after flashing either. And if end up wanting to sell the card later, you can always flash the stock bios back on.

I wouldnt mind making one for you, just tell me the clocks your card is stable at and want the bios flashed too. And yes it also changes the shader clock to any value.

Its actually very easy to do.

Im running 2 evga 640 GTS in SLI and each card has its bios stock speeds set to 621/2000. Have never run into any problems after flashing either. And if end up wanting to sell the card later, you can always flash the stock bios back on.

Does OCing in Rivatuner / AtiTools also increase the shader clocks when you up the core?

Yes, it does. When you increase the core speed in Rivatuner, the shader clock also increases at certain intervals. This chart should explain it well.

g80_clock_chart.jpg

So for example, if you set the core speed in Rivatuner anywhere from 595 to 603 mhz, it will actually run the core at 594 and the shader clock at 1404 mhz.

Yes, it does. When you increase the core speed in Rivatuner, the shader clock also increases at certain intervals. This chart should explain it well.

g80_clock_chart.jpg

So for example, if you set the core speed in Rivatuner anywhere from 595 to 603 mhz, it will actually run the core at 594 and the shader clock at 1404 mhz.

Hehehe yeah I just noticed this while messing around in Rivatuner.. I was thinking my OC wasn't showing up in the monitor, but then I realized I was looking @ 594 (602) and not 513, and my shaders were also higher when I brought it back down.

My temps only went up 4c (68->72) when running atitool's artifact scan.

Back