Proud Owner of a E6400

talk2farley said:
Oh for sure. I have no intention of powering the system up until I have it mounted properly in a closed case. I'm not so brave! Hence the need to delay until Wed further work on the system (curses to UPS, whose shipping speeds are directly related to the distance from the source).

Hey, sorry man... didn't mean to go all preachy on ya there, I just didn't want to see all your nice hardware go up in smoke.

bassman said:
Hey, sorry man... didn't mean to go all preachy on ya there, I just didn't want to see all your nice hardware go up in smoke.
Word. 'twould pierce me to the heart to see a Conroe die in a terrible blast of static electricity. :(

Hey I want it to smoke as in BIG OC I don't wish that anyones processor would go up in smoke.

sparks

when you get above 3.2G make sure and give a full list of all your bios settings :)

sparks

Did you REALLY loose a 3rd PCI slot to the GPU/Zalman? Judging from the pics and the Newegg shots of the board I'm pretty sure you could use the PCI slot 2 down from GPU. Ithought one of the advantages of the Zalman design is that you CAN place cards close together without loosing much of its effectiveness.

Now granted I would avoid using till I HAD to and even then I would do some pre/post testing of temps/stability to make SURE it wasn't an issue but I do believe that you can still use this last slot.

And what is WITH that CPU cooler?!?!?!?!??? Thing is fricken HUGE!!!! Please tell me you are not going to have that board standing up? I can't image the strain that is going to put on the socket/CPU. YIKES!!!

less talk more shots!!!

btw i just ordered a 6300 and p4b deluxe also, and i have an x-fi and a HIS 1900XT, seasonic 600W and thinking about getting the lite-on so you and me are going to have almost identical set ups.

Alright I just finished setting all of the hardware up. The case is plugged in, but I haven't powered it up yet. To be honest, I am nervous. So look over the pics that follow quickly and make sure I did not do anything wrong. Setup itself was kind of painful. The case is neatly divided into self-contained quadrants (one for mobo, one for ps and wires, one for ide drives, and one for HDDs), which is great for keeping things organized and cool, but makes installation tedious. The standoffs for the mobo in particular were a lengthy task, requiring prolly an hour or so on there own. I lost track of time during the build, but started around 3 this afternoon and just finished up, makin it ~6 hours total. Mind you I had to remount the Zalman CPU cooler, so that took some time. Otherwise, I have no new complaints about the hardware, physically. Just what I mentioned about the GPU taking up most of the computers PCI slots.

When I work up the nerve, I will give the machine its first boot. Might need to smoke first.

Did you REALLY loose a 3rd PCI slot to the GPU/Zalman? Judging from the pics and the Newegg shots of the board I'm pretty sure you could use the PCI slot 2 down from GPU. Ithought one of the advantages of the Zalman design is that you CAN place cards close together without loosing much of its effectiveness.

I am afraid so! The slot is not physically obstructed, so I could technically use it, but it is way to close to the GPU fan for comfort. I prefer to leave more clearance. The problem isn't Zalmans; its the mobo layout. The second PCIx slot is better located than the primary; they should be reversed.

And what is WITH that CPU cooler?!?!?!?!??? Thing is fricken HUGE!!!! Please tell me you are not going to have that board standing up? I can't image the strain that is going to put on the socket/CPU. YIKES!!!

It weighs in at 500g, which is not bad at all given its size. Edit: I should also add that the base is cleverly mounted directly to the mobo, and is entirely independent of the CPU. The pressure of the HS on the base is holding it against the CPU. There is no "pull" pressure applied to the socket.

Awwww God the oc's, tell us the oc's please....

Almost there, grasshopper! :p

Computer-August016.jpg

The WD Raptor 10k. IMHO, the best HD on the market right now. Also, a blurred reflection of myself for posterity.

Computer-August014.jpg

The naked, empty case. PS and mobo are resting inside to test fit for screws and standoffs.

Computer-August020.jpg

The finished setup, approximately 6 hours later.

Computer-August018.jpg

Vertical view of the same.

Computer-August019.jpg

Rear view of the same.

Which case is that? I like the layout. Working with my E6400 in a Lian Li PC-61 has left me wanting a case with more space.

talk2farley said:
You guys are paranoid. An antistatic bag is perfectly adequate. I'm yet to fry a component, and theyre all I use (although I have an antistatic wrist strap as well). Closest I came was carrying a mobo past my TV on the way through the house once. But I felt it and realized immediately what was going on lol.

I havent friend anything in 15 or 16 years now, and have never done anything out of the norm. You're right about the paranoid part.

ANGRYEAGLE said:
Nice man! Congrats. Me? I'm waiting on a stupid crossfire board. Seems no hurry for ATI to implement for AM2 or Core 2 Duo. By the time anyone has a 6600 in stock, should be at least 1 crossfire board out. Good luck to you buddy, and ENJOY!!!

The Intel 975XBX is crossfire enabled.

Good news: The systems posts, loads the BIOS, and loads the Windows setup files. Additionally, this system runs COLD. My temps in the BIOS are 37 on the mobo, 42 on the CPU. Awesome! Again, this is an E6400 at stock speeds in a Lian Li PC-S80 using the Zalman CPU cooler.

However, there are two problems.

1) I am getting a CPU uCode error during post. I'm not sure if this is really a problem or not, as boot seems fine and the Windows install files load fine, but I will be investigateing it further. I think it just needs a BIOS update.

2) My copy of Windows XP is UPGRADE. I completely forgot about that. So now when I pop the disk in, it stops me mid-setup and asks for an old version Windows install disk. Which I dont have. Poop, dead-end. So I will have to go to Costco tomorrow and pick up a copy of Windows XP Home, the full version, to install. Then I can return it.

talk2farley said:
So I will have to go to Costco tomorrow and pick up a copy of Windows XP Home, the full version, to install. Then I can return it.

Dont expect Costco's return policy to be so liberal forever. I see people abusing it like this all the time. Dont be suprised when its gone.

you don't have an old 95 or 98.

You can buy one for $2 off ebay I bet.

sparks

Back