prototype game esc does not work

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I know it's an older game 2009 but I like it. However I cannot get the menu to come up in the game when I use the esc key on my I5 10210u laptop. The game works perfect on my Surface Go and my Gigabyte Aorus RTX gaming laptop.. I have tried the shift+esc doesn't work. tried different compatibility settings..ran system file check no integrity errors. all latest drivers. Only found resolution patches and Cpu bat files for multi core.. nothing seems to work.. I cannot exit the game have to kill the task. I don't have a clue. Anyone have a fix or idea? Thanks for any assistance

HP 14M-DH1003DX 2 in one. 14" I5 10210u, UHD620, 16GB dual channel Samsung 2666 DDR4, WD Black 500GB Nvme, 2TB Sandisk Sata SSD, windows 1909 latest updates

Looks like the CPU is right underneath the part of the keyboard where the ESC key is. Maybe when gaming it gets hot enough to make the key unresponsive. Do you have this issue in any other 3D games?
1581527517500.png

I installed prototype 2 the sequel and it works the same, uses the esc to bring up the menu and the esc key works fine. In Fact so far this is the only game that has this problem the esc key works fine for everything else. I even ran a keyboard test and all the keys work fine. I did see under dev manager keyboards that I have 5 HID keyboards and one Ps2 keyboard but they cannot be disabled. I tried to uninstall the HID ones but they just reinstalled and corrupted my system files. I had to restore c drive from a macrium disc image file....

I installed prototype 2 the sequel and it works the same, uses the esc to bring up the menu and the esc key works fine. In Fact so far this is the only game that has this problem the esc key works fine for everything else. I even ran a keyboard test and all the keys work fine. I did see under dev manager keyboards that I have 5 HID keyboards and one Ps2 keyboard but they cannot be disabled. I tried to uninstall the HID ones but they just reinstalled and corrupted my system files. I had to restore c drive from a macrium disc image file....
I would take a look at the device details for those keyboards before coming to a conclusion that that may be causing the issue. Hidden devices in the device manager would not cause active conflicts unless the device it's referring to is actually plugged in. My desktop keyboard has a hardware switch to enable PS/2 emulation so it can work with legacy software and older BIOS images, so a driver gets installed for that but it's hidden when the keyboard is not operating in that mode.

Since it's unique to the first Prototype there has to be an issue specifically with that game's configuration. You can use a program to remap the ESC key to another key for that game. AutoHotKey is free and reliable.

Nope it still won't work. something in this laptop is not letting the keystroke in. I don't get it and this is not an HP OS install but a new install of windows that was done when I upgraded the optane ssd to a real Nvme drive.... never seen anything like this before.. The only thing I will say is this machine is bizarre I cannot validate the direct x in 3dmark. GPU Z does not recognize the device and user benchmark can't find any direct 3d device... the new Intel adaptive dynamic tuning technology is installed..and maybe it screws with input, info caching or something.. This is the ONLY game that has given me this issue..... I can run everything including Control and Metro Exodus... I even had an HP tech run diagnostics and nothing wrong showed up.. Maybe it is haunted by the ghost of Rod Sterling............ Ps I am not missing any visual c direct x installs DX diag finds no errors....never had a blue screen or crash....

Yes I got it working finally. It was this I had to disable the second HID-compliant game controller in device manager....and it works with my wireless x360 controller and the keyboard Only took me four days to figure it out. Hey thank you for your help in this.....have a great evening....

Back