Protecting digital copyrighted material in websites

exchange keys

Limp Gawd
To protect our digital copyrighted material (i.e. classified or personal images or video, etc.), we use something called ArtistScope's CopySafe Web Converter. This works fine (as far as we know) for preventing someone taking a print screen shot or capture video of the protected content. This was tested with Adobe Capture 4, Full Shot 9, HyperCam, and ScreenShot Utility. Also, as another layer of prevention, whenever the encrypted image displays on the webpage, the keyboard (print screen button) becomes disabled, and the web browser's menu bar (edit -> copy) becomes grayed out. This feature gets disabled after the protected image is no longer active.

No, this is great, but I feel that there could be more security measures that we can use, but unfortunately I don't know of them. Also, I don't know if CopySafe has ever been circumvented, so maybe someone knows about that in here?

I heard that if you use the application called FastStone Capture, it could bypass this and take a print screen. I haven't tested this, but I don't understand why it would.

Even though this does help with your average webpage viewer, it doesn't stop anyone from getting a high-res digital camera and taking a picture of the image on the monitor.

Either way, the more layers of annoyance I can place, the better :D

Thank you

Side note: I just noticed that the forum name says "digital artwerk" ...

To protect our digital copyrighted material (i.e. classified or personal images or video, etc.), we use something called ArtistScope's CopySafe Web Converter. This works fine (as far as we know) for preventing someone taking a print screen shot or capture video of the protected content. This was tested with Adobe Capture 4, Full Shot 9, HyperCam, and ScreenShot Utility. Also, as another layer of prevention, whenever the encrypted image displays on the webpage, the keyboard (print screen button) becomes disabled, and the web browser's menu bar (edit -> copy) becomes grayed out. This feature gets disabled after the protected image is no longer active.

No, this is great, but I feel that there could be more security measures that we can use, but unfortunately I don't know of them. Also, I don't know if CopySafe has ever been circumvented, so maybe someone knows about that in here?

I heard that if you use the application called FastStone Capture, it could bypass this and take a print screen. I haven't tested this, but I don't understand why it would.

Even though this does help with your average webpage viewer, it doesn't stop anyone from getting a high-res digital camera and taking a picture of the image on the monitor.

Either way, the more layers of annoyance I can place, the better :D

Thank you
Never heard of these apps that keep people from copying your online content, but my only advice would be to come to grips with the fact that anything you post online is completely up for grabs. Like you said, someone can always just take a physical camera and snap a photo of their screen, worst case scenario. But there are tons and tons of other ways to capture the video stream or print-screen whatever they're looking at. Trying to prevent someone from saving a copy your content is really just posing a challenge to people to try and break your security - it's like dangling a carrot - they are going to try, and there's no way you can predict how they will do it. IMO you're going about this the wrong way.

Things you can do to prevent someone from stealing your IP include: only post low-res versions of the art-work or photography. If visitors can only get a sample version of the art-work it's much less likely that they'll print it out or use it illegally; also if you are the only one who has the original high-res version of the image, it's much easier to prove that you are the original owner.

The other viable option you have is to implement better security on your site. Impose a login system, so people can't even view these images unless they are pre-authorized.

Letting people view the images but trying to keep them from saving copies is a battle you really can't win.

Side note: I just noticed that the forum name says "digital artwerk" ...

hehe - yeah, I think that's supposed to be some kind of 1337-speak - all the cool designers say "werk" - you didn't know that? :p

Hello,

I don't have much advice, but i was wondering what your website address is, I would like to see how locked down it currently is.

Thanks
Ivan

Anything that can be viewed on a monitor, can be copied. Seriously, you might as well give up. The ONLY thing your "layers of annoyance" will accomplish, is making your web site annoying for the legit visitors. Fuck that shit, and just use normal images. Or Flash. That's an easy 'fix.'

I'd hate to just repeat what everyone's saying, but you're just setting yourself up for an (albeit, small-scale) arms between yourself and those who want to break your defenses. It's the same between the record industry and the pirates or spammers and network admins. It's a constant battle and, if you're serious about it, you're going to be busy and will probably have bouts of defeat if you're not designing your own solutions.

Back