proposed SG-01 setup

I'm thinking about building a SG-01 setup. I want to throw a E6600 in there can i possibly cool it with a NT06 and just the psu fan? also. if i dont plan to overclock would the Asus board be a good choice?

the case fans will stay of course. I was mearly wondering the effects of cooling the E6600 with no fan on the heatsink

is that the one with that uses passive cooling? If so, it should work I suppose but I wouldn't look to OC or anything.

The NT06 should work well with that setup. I use the NT06 currently on my x2 4800+ with no fan other than the PSU just fine.

-E

rozarsmahkco said:
I'm thinking about building a SG-01 setup. I want to throw a E6600 in there can i possibly cool it with a NT06 and just the psu fan? also. if i dont plan to overclock would the Asus board be a good choice?
Just make sure the PSU uses a 120mm fan. I have pretty much the same setup as MrE, and my temps are good with a slight overclock. Nothing extreme though.

assuming your psu has a bottom-draw 120mm fan, the nt06 is the best heatsink for the sg01. also, your question's kind of a moot point, since theres no space for another fan there; its nearly flush with the psu, which is why its so good running passively.

I have got mine E6600 with SG01 and NT06 with additional a 8cm fans under the NT06 now

but the cpu temperature is about 60c idle... does it normal?

I use the NT06 in my Sugo and it works great. Idles at 39C, runs around 50C running prime95.

that means it's better to take the 8cm fans off from the bottom of the NT06?
have you enable EIST ? I have got no where to enable it....

Yep, the airflow is most likely better on the 120mm power supply fan but you're choking it off with a lower airflow (most likely) 80mm fan.

The zalman 7700 series was much better than stock. I don't see why they aren't considered anymore. It's not like these are Preshotts. These are much cooler.

Also the airflow would be a problem with a 120mm fan and the fan of the heatsink. they both pull. If you could flip either fan around it wouldn't be a problem I think. (for ex: have the psu fan push down instead of up (modify)).

Pushing the heat of your PSU in your case? Bad idea! :) The NT06 is ideal for a setup with a PSU with 120 mm fan. Maybe that a 7700 cools a bit better than a NT06 but the NT06 has no fan so that means almost no noise. The NT06 is the only logical choice for a silent SG01.

but I have found that NT06 have no fan to blow the moftset.

besides, Do I need to block the hole of my PSU inside the case which can force all air flow out of the case?

thanks,

kookaburra said:
but I have found that NT06 have no fan to blow the moftset.

besides, Do I need to block the hole of my PSU inside the case which can force all air flow out of the case?

thanks,
You're right. Like I said, the NT06 is the best solution for a silent SG01. But I wouldn't recommend it for overclocking because I fear the PSU and the mosfets would get too hot. Maybe some modest oc'ing is possible. But it's like with watercooling, even with watercooling it's always important to have a good airflow.

And do you mean the holes for the crossflow fan? If you want to do some overclocking and want to use a NT06, I would recommend placing small heatsinks on your mosfets and blocking the holes for the crossflow fan. I think that will force the PSU to suck air through the sides of the SG-01. I think this cools the motherboard a bit better. Just my 2 cents :)

I already putted some tape on those holes and it lowered my CPU temp with 5 degrees. I call it "the tape mod" ;) But that was my previous A64 S939 setup with a Thermalright XP-120. This setup is not good because the XP-120 is less high than the NT06 and the CPU gets much hotter. So the "tape mod" will not lower the CPU temperature in case of a NT06. But like I said, maybe it cools the motherboard a bit better. But maybe I'm just talking rubbish :)

Back