Proposed Law Would Tax Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are you ready for this? A senator in Wisconsin wants to add a tax to video games and video game hardware. Why a tax on video games? You’ll just love the answer:

The bill's author, state Sen. Jon Erpenbach, said the money raised from the tax isn't to dissuade gamers, but to help cover the cost to move 17-year-olds, who commit non-violent crimes, back into the juvenile system. Currently, 17-year-olds are treated as adults, WISC-TV reported.

Why in the world would anyone apply a tax to video games to cover the cost of teenage offenders? Oh, I forgot, it is the video games that are causing these teens to commit crimes. :rolleyes: Thanks to Manny Calavera for the linkage on this one.

I have a feeling he's going to be laughed out of the Capitol building.

No offense to all 3 of you in Wisconsin (lol!), but what are they feeding you people up there, moldy cheese? This is incredibly stupid. I wonder if Jackass Thompson has his fingers in this one? :rolleyes:

What a crock of shit. Maybe if these kids commiting these crimes had a parents to beat some sense into them they wouldn't do things like that. :mad:

No offense to all 3 of you in Wisconsin (lol!), but what are they feeding you people up there, moldy cheese? This is incredibly stupid. I wonder if Jackass Thompson has his fingers in this one? :rolleyes:

He probably paid the guy to put this bill forth.

Why not include a tax on slasher movies and rap music? On second thought,some greedy,boneheaded Senator is probably working on a bill for those as we speak. Time for another tea party,folks.

Maybe if these kids commiting these crimes had a parents to beat some sense into them they wouldn't do things like that. :mad:

QFT

Oh wait, doing that would cause the parents to go to jail and counseling which in turn would be an excuse to impose more taxes. :rolleyes:

Lol! "We need money to move 17 year-olds into the juvenile system. Obviously we need to tax video games."

I think we can all rest assured that this one isn't going to pass. In fact, I'm going to keep track of this bill and write a letter to everyone who votes for it.

I don't mind a tax on games but it should be for a better cause (education, etc).

Fuck why not legalize Marijuana and then tax it to treat drug addicts? Oh wait because drugs is an actual problem in the US. :eek:

That's just bullshit. He proposes that it's a good idea and if it's not he is open to hear suggestions. Well here is a suggestion, promote better parenting and just drop the whole idea for taxing video games all together. Why tax the consumer for some other person's lame ass decision that lands them in prison / jail.

I sent him a note explaining nicely that he is a loon. I've never actually been irritated enough to do that, but I feel better now. ;)

Remember this when you vote, a lot of people end up in political jobs, because they are too stupid to work in the private sector.

This part kills me...he says the tax will cover the cost of moving non-violent 17 year olds back into the juvenile system.

How much will that cost? Put his little ass in the back of a prison van and drive him over there. Problem solved. Total cost to state = $3.00 in gas.

It isn't just games, the article said electronics. So that would be computers, video game consoles, tvs, steroes, dvd players.

If they truely need the money for this then raise state taxes some (assuming this is just a Wisconsin tax) or do something that will evenly spread the cost amoung the people just like any other state or federal program does. Taxing a certain item or group of items like this is a stupid way to raise the money.

I don't mind a tax on games but it should be for a better cause (education, etc).
Sorry, I mind. The current sales tax is enough. There is more than enough tax dollars to go around. We don't need more taxes to fuel more careless government spending. The 8.35% I pay in NYC is plenty thank you very much. :) Then again, if you aren't taxed on software where you live then I guess it isn't a big deal. Although, it's probably made up for somewhere else.

As far as education goes, I think we all contribute to this universal something or other educational fund through a tax on our internet, cable and phone bills.

That's just bullshit. He proposes that it's a good idea and if it's not he is open to hear suggestions. Well here is a suggestion, promote better parenting and just drop the whole idea for taxing video games all together. Why tax the consumer for some other person's lame ass decision that lands them in prison / jail.

We already have lots of that,its called a sin tax.But since when is playing video games
down there with smoking and drinking !?!!?!? :eek:

And this month's Retard award goes to...*pulls name out of hat* "Sen. Jon Erpenbach". Congratulations, senator.

I pay 14% tax on everything I buy in Montreal and if they wanted to tax us even more for some retarded reason like that I'd be against it too.

Yeah, sure, the US government could take those trillions they spend on random wars or tax revenues from oil which sells at record prices and help young people, students, young offenders, but no, no, let's add ANOTHER tax just for fun.

And this month's Retard award goes to...*pulls name out of hat* "Sen. Jon Erpenbach". Congratulations, senator.

I pay 14% tax on everything I buy in Montreal and if they wanted to tax us even more for some retarded reason like that I'd be against it too.

Yeah, sure, the US government could take those trillions they spend on random wars or tax revenues from oil which sells at record prices and help young people, students, young offenders, but no, no, let's add ANOTHER tax just for fun.

So having social programs that don't work is a great way to spend our tax money :rolleyes:

I belive in working for what you want. not having the government give it to you cause your to damn lazy to get off your ass..

bah...

This is like charging someone with murder for killing a person in Call of Duty.

Wow, I feel sorry for some of you guys. Here is Virginia, we only pay 5% sales tax for virtually all items.

Must be a Demoncrat.

People were stupid enough to vote for this moron.

Brilliant move actually. The people he will be targeting with this tax are the least likely to vote... no one to tell him to eat it!

Guarantee a bill saying "lets tax Depends diapers" would never see the light of day. Can't piss off the people who vote.

Brilliant move actually. The people he will be targeting with this tax are the least likely to vote... no one to tell him to eat it!

Guarantee a bill saying "lets tax Depends diapers" would never see the light of day. Can't piss off the people who vote.

hehe the pissy ones can throw those full Depends at em. I litter because trash bags cost too much. <------- Dumb meets dumberer;same goes for the proposed tax :wank

i say we tax golf attire and equipment, cigars, and religion to pay for the time these retards waste, the money they get paid, and the amount of money they screw us out of(yeah, we know about it) to fix the national debt as well as pay for all of the horrible young kids blowing people away with the BFG they fashioned out of their lame close minded back porch upbringing.

Wisconsin here too. That's ridiculous. That's not even a good reason. The two aren't associated except for 17 year olds play video games, but so do 25,35,45 year olds..

Back