Proportionally Smaller ITX "Tower Style" Cases - Do They Exist?

jamesman32

Limp Gawd
I've been building PCs in the ITX form factor ever since Zotac released the first Mini ITX motherboard with a full-length PCIe x16 slot on LGA 775 almost a decade ago. Around that time, Silverstone released the "SUGO" SG05 ITX shoe-box style case and introduced us to the SFX form factor PSU. I remember some of us going back and forth about whether or not the PSU was powerful enough to handle an AMD Radeon HD4870. It required some 4-pin MOLEX to 6-pin PCIe adapters and the front of the case needed to be cut open to fit the card in (a mod so popular that Silverstone added it to their own production cases), but it did work. Shortly thereafter the first AIO 120mm liquid cooling systems came out and we started slotting the front fan mounting holes to get enough clearance to get the radiators mounted inside the case. With a few hours of careful construction, an enthusiast could have a quad-core CPU, high-end dual-slot GPU, and internal water cooling all inside an 11-ish liter box. Exciting times, really.

Flash forward to today and ITX PCs are all but mainstream. Single GPU computers have the horsepower to run most games and applications, motherboards have expansive I/O negating the need for add-on cards, on-board audio solutions have built-in DACs that rival the sound cards we used to use, etc. etc. For many, there just isn't a need for more than one PCIe slot anymore. The ITX form factor can make sense for a lot of users, including enthusiasts.

Component manufacturers have really caught on to this trend of downsizing over the last few years. More ITX motherboards, SFX and SFX-L power supplies, 6.7" length "ITX" graphics cards, M.2 storage, low profile heatsinks, the list goes on. It has given case manufacturers, and even boutique case designers, a myriad of options for internal component layout.

Silverstone pioneered the classic "shoe-box" style ITX case with the SUGO lineup where the motherboard mounted horizontally and the power supply mounted parallel above it. The "Steam Box" console-style case has taken off as well, with companies like Fractal Design producing the popular Node 202, among others, where all components are laid out totally flat. Boutique designers have pushed the size envelopes with the help of PCIe riser cables, enabling them to mount the GPU underneath or behind the motherboard. And of course, we've also seen the traditional ATX tower configuration downsized to ITX by simply reducing the number of expansion slots from 7 to 2. The gold standard here is probably the Fractal Design Nano S.

Okay, so we've established that there are enough ITX-sized components available today to ensure that we can build or buy portable PCs without sacrificing practicality or usability. So what's the issue? Well, while ITX cases haven't changed form or function much in the last ~2-3 years (with the exception of some small-batch concepts), ATX cases have changed quite a bit, at least in terms of aesthetics. I'm calling this Problem 1 of 3.

I remember, again about a decade ago, when PC "modders" first began focusing on the aesthetics of their builds. They started spray painting the interior panels of their cases black, cutting out holes in the motherboard tray to route power cables behind them, adding individual colored sleeves to wires to make them stand out, removing 5.25" drive bays and using hole saws to add water cooling radiator support instead, and cutting big windows in side panels. Case manufacturers caught on quickly and started adding these features themselves (and inching up their prices, too). Remember when they first caught on to the benefits of mounting the power supply at the bottom of the case? That change seemed to happen across the market almost overnight.

Most recently we've seen these changes to the ATX case taken to aesthetic extremes. Automotive-grade high gloss paints, full-length PSU shrouds, grommets on every motherboard tray hole, pre-sleeved I/O wiring, edge-to-edge tempered glass side panels, zero 5.25" and 3.5" storage bays, 240mm and 360mm radiator support, and *sigh* RGB everything. It's great! The component layout and large window allow me to see all of my parts and the quality paint, hidden wires, and bright LEDs really make these computers look good. If you want to be able to look at your components in an ITX build, you need this ATX tower-style layout and window setup where the PSU isn't mounted over the motherboard and the GPU isn't hanging upside down, connected by a ribbon cable. This is Problem 2 of 3.

To my knowledge, there is only one tower-style ITX case that has all of these newer case features and the right layout, the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX. Great, problems 1 and 2 solved! It has the power supply shroud, cable management holes, ample space for water cooling, nice paint scheme, and some variants come with a tempered glass window (albeit at a steeper price). So what's the issue here? Well, at least in my opinion, it's too big. It uses some ITX components (really, just the motherboard) but has room for ATX-sized components elsewhere in the build. The case takes an ATX PSU, for example, and accepts full-length GPUs with room to spare. Isn't this kind of unnecessary if we have access to SFX PSUs and an array of ITX-sized GPUs to choose from? I can get a full power GTX 1080 that's barely longer than my motherboard, so why would I get a full-length card? I can buy a 600 watt SFX PSU that'll handle my entire build, so why would I use an ATX one? This case gives us the aesthetic we want, but doesn't take advantage of all of our smaller components. Herein lies Problem 3 of 3.

After a lot of Google searching, I thought I'd found the solution to all 3 problems, the Jonsbo U1 Plus. It has the tempered glass window, minimalist construction, and even (kind of) a PSU shroud. No unnecessary drive rack up front, just enough length for an ITX-sized GPU, and support for SFX PSUs. Great! I ordered one and waited weeks for it to get to the US from China earlier this year. Turns out it sucked. I totally overlooked one of the benefits of newer ATX cases - the usual support for 2x 120 or 140mm fans or radiators up front. This case had room for a single 80mm fan above the motherboard I/O and it was not cutting it. No real airflow or AIO cooler support. RIP.

So what now? Well, after writing a novel about what I'm really looking for, I'm relying on an MS paint sketch to illustrate it:

Let's take the Phanteks we mentioned earlier:

cmpYKxZl.png
cmpYKxZl.png

And then let's imagine it cut down to size with an ITX GPU and SFX PSU

EMH6weHl.png

What we get is a proportionally smaller tower style case that utilizes available ITX components without sacrificing some of the features we like from ATX cases. It could probably still even support a 240mm radiator up front, or overall length could decrease further if we used a 120mm radiator in the top or rear and only used 2x 120mm fans for case airflow in the front.

And now the question, does anyone know if a case like this actually exists? /end babbling

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I actually know exactly how you feel. I used to have a Phanteks Evolv itx. I bought it because it had several things I liked about mid tower cases, bottom mounted PSU, PSU shroud, vertical motherboard mount, cable management grommet-ed holes and radiator support. It came down to it was just too damn big. I figure if I was going to have a case that big might as well have a m-atx. So I went the other way and got a Ncase M1, and while I do love it, it is also too big.

I agree with you about not needing anymore room than it takes to house a m-itx motherboard, itx graphics card and a SFX PSU. Which is why I am waiting on my Case-by-Case Design MI-6. If you haven't seen it, it is a 6.7l case with support for all the things I mentioned. It is not the layout you are looking for though, this uses a back to back design with the motherboard and graphics card using a riser card. Personally I like the design but I can see the appeal of the case you envision. I think it would be a great layout, you could design it to have front 240mm radiator support.

About the only thing I have seen close to the layout you want is the Lazer3D LZ7 in that it doesn't use a PCI riser, other than that it is quite different.

Hope you are able to find something, I would love to see it.

I think the NCASE M1 will somewhat fulfill your wants, though the case is somewhat in the pricier side of things ($200). I got one recently and quite like it. It moves the SFX PSU to an upfront location, but it still generally airflow friendly (more so than a SG05 or it's derivatives, like the FT03mini).

Kinda expensive and exotic - you could check Abee RS06. The models currently available are big tho. They sometimes have interesting designs. There used to be PC-Q series from Lian Li, but not with all the features - cable management usually. PC-Q33 or any baby tower from them. They are quite good looking.

I hear you... I have said many times that if Fractal Design made a C-version (shorter) of their "Define S Nano" then that would be almost perfect.
I thought about getting one and mod it shorter but I chose not to because I would have had to cut through too much steel. It is deeper but otherwise a little smaller than the Enthoo Evolv ITX.
A short GPU would not get much airflow with an ATX PSU but with a SFX PSU that would be no problem. Building a PSU shroud would have been an easy mod and would be almost in line with the bottom edge of a window.

Like you, I got a Jonsbo U-series case. I run it with the left cover off (3" from a wall) and the plan is to build a new side cover from mesh covered in dust-filtering fabric.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you're saying. So you basically want a Nano S that is narrower (so no long card support), is shorter and thinner (only SFX PSU support) and you'd keep 240mm fan+radiator support in the front and add a power supply shroud.

It's interesting. I'm not sure it's very efficient or practical. I'm not gonna do much math here, but I'm guessing if you want to keep 240mm front radiator support (the Nano S supports up to 280), you'd need larger dimensions anyway and you'd have wasted space around the SFX PSU. You may as well make the case a bit larger and support ATX with that config. There also wouldn't be space for a 3.5" drive, which is a more acceptable compromise than the short card. Yes, you can get up to a short 1080 now, but it's far from being widely accepted. There is only one short 1080 on the market and it's expensive and hard to find. Lots of people would want a 1080 Ti and/or a blower-style in a small case like this. Also, a short card needs good airflow, you'd be boxing the card between a power supply, a radiator, and a window. The Nano S already has issues with non-blower cards, if you put a small and powerful open-air card in there and put a radiator right next to it, it would be very loud and possibly overheat. Few people would want a 240mm rad, but only a short card. Especially considering this case layout is already non-tiny, so adding another 2-3 liters of volume is worth it for proper GPU support. The same goes for the PSU + CPU air cooler support.

As you start to go down to only a 120mm rad or small air cooler support, a short card becomes more acceptable, but you've now crossed into a category of cases that are very space optimized and there isn't room or wish for a window to show it off, as you need meshing on all panels.

It seems like you're trying to accomplish two opposing goals at the same time -- you want a case with lots of aesthetics features + window and an appropriate layout, but also one that is very crammed and uses the smallest components possible. I don't think it's possible to have both, but we can certainly move in that direction some. The Nano S can use a power supply shroud -- I suspect Fractal will do that with the next iteration along with a tempered glass side panel. They could also make the case a little thinner with only SFX PSU and 240mm rad support, but the Nano S is supposed to be a more mainstream offering and SFX is not there yet. Fractal already offers a case with a bundled SFX PSU, don't think they'd do that with the Nano S. Otherwise, if you want performance + tiny size but no ability to show it off, the NCase M1 is the best choice.

Last edited:
I too find the ITX tower market lacking. Every manufacturer designs for 5GHz overclocked CPU's and triple slot foot long GPU's together with giant radiators. It's terrible.

I too find the ITX tower market lacking. Every manufacturer designs for 5GHz overclocked CPU's and triple slot foot long GPU's together with giant radiators. It's terrible.
Well, yeah, that's because if you ask people that's what most will say they want. Manufacturers are just making what the market demands.

I actually know exactly how you feel. I used to have a Phanteks Evolv itx. I bought it because it had several things I liked about mid tower cases, bottom mounted PSU, PSU shroud, vertical motherboard mount, cable management grommet-ed holes and radiator support. It came down to it was just too damn big. I figure if I was going to have a case that big might as well have a m-atx. So I went the other way and got a Ncase M1, and while I do love it, it is also too big.

I agree with you about not needing anymore room than it takes to house a m-itx motherboard, itx graphics card and a SFX PSU. Which is why I am waiting on my Case-by-Case Design MI-6. If you haven't seen it, it is a 6.7l case with support for all the things I mentioned. It is not the layout you are looking for though, this uses a back to back design with the motherboard and graphics card using a riser card. Personally I like the design but I can see the appeal of the case you envision. I think it would be a great layout, you could design it to have front 240mm radiator support.

Thanks for the recommendation - I actually pre-ordered the CCD MI-6 as well and am excited to receive one next month. I have a great use for a PC the size of the MI-6 but I created this thread after thinking about what would be a perfect case for my home desk setup where space isn't quite as much of a concern and I have an area to "show off" the components.

I hear you... I have said many times that if Fractal Design made a C-version (shorter) of their "Define S Nano" then that would be almost perfect.
I thought about getting one and mod it shorter but I chose not to because I would have had to cut through too much steel. It is deeper but otherwise a little smaller than the Enthoo Evolv ITX.
A short GPU would not get much airflow with an ATX PSU but with a SFX PSU that would be no problem. Building a PSU shroud would have been an easy mod and would be almost in line with the bottom edge of a window.

Like you, I got a Jonsbo U-series case. I run it with the left cover off (3" from a wall) and the plan is to build a new side cover from mesh and cover than in dust-filtering fabric.

Totally agree on the Define S Nano mod if it weren't so difficult to pull off. Let me know how your Jonsbo mods go for you, hopefully you'll have success there. I had considered using my hole saws to add a few fans to the front panel of the case but when I read that they were made of Magnesium Alloy and not Aluminum (as they appear) like the Lian Li cases they're styled after, I was too afraid of causing a fire or explosion to go through with it.

I see what you're saying. So you basically want a Nano S that is narrower (so no long card support), is shorter and thinner (only SFX PSU support) and you'd keep 240mm fan+radiator support in the front and add a power supply shroud......

Great points, I appreciate your perspective and input here!

In my "ideal" world the front panel of the case would have a vertically stacked pair of fans, as you'd expect to see in a larger case. Centered on the front panel, I think 120mm fans would fit. I do think you're right that adding space for a radiator along with these fans would increase overall size, probably unnecessarily and would certainly create a dead space between the end of the PSU and the front of the case. Maybe this would be an optimal space for 2.5" hard drives? In the Jonsbo case I tried out earlier this year, the rear fan that sits above the Motherboard I/O area was 80mm instead of 120mm in standard ATX cases. The Jonsbo was only made wide enough for the PCIe slots and the SFX PSU, so a 120mm fan (and radiator) weren't going to fit there unless the case was widened unnecessarily.

Maybe the compromise here (to maintain the decreased overall case width afforded by an SFX PSU) would be to use the Jonsbo style 80mm fan above the Motherboard I/O and a single ~140mm fan centered horizontally and vertically on the front panel with support for a 140mm AIO system? In my head, at least, this would leave enough room for the PSU shroud to extend the length of the case with clearance above for the fan and radiator without increasing overall length. This fan setup would also net positive pressure and could allow hot air to pass through mesh ventilation in the top of the case above the motherboard?

This is the chassis you want...

Unfortunately, it has not seen any development in a good number of months...

Thanks for the link! I guess I wasn’t looking hard enough for this case if it was already an idea on SFF.

Those drawings really are tight with the front fans right up against the edge of the motherboard. I think this is very close to what my Jonsbo case would have looked like if I’d added the front fans.

I thought about this a bit more today. I think generally, in SFF you can't have everything, it's all about tradeoffs. In this discussion, we're talking about 3 variables -- performance, size, and a window/looks. You can have performance + window, but not tiny (Nano S), or you can have performance + tiny, but no window (NCase M1), or you can have tiny and window, but less performance (doesn't really exist... maybe the A4-SFX windowed version, but you're also trading no dust filtration there, which is a 4th variable in this), but you can't have all 3.

You may be able to strike a balance and compromise size and performance equally while keeping the window constant (not a variable), which is what I think we're talking about here. The problem is that you start to get into situations where, because you're optimizing for 3 things, the utility of compromising a little more here and there becomes very high (like making it a small percentage larger to accommodate a radiator or an ATX PSU, etc.). And if you want to say -- no, I'm gonna optimize for all 3 as much as possible, then your case is ends up being very impractical and super niche, e.g. a 16L case that only supports short cards or something like that.

But yes, generally I think a design like the M1, but with no side bracket, no bottom fans, and a single 140mm front intake fan would be a good way to accomplish something like this. You can even make the front 140mm fan slim, so that the space savings of not including radiator support seem more worth it. And then you can have a rear cable management section to hide the PSU cables and 2.5" drives, and maybe some kind a tiny PSU "shroud" under that front-mounted PSU to hide the cables going places. And no 3.5" drive support. Strictly non-topdown air cooling support, so basically 90% of people would get a U9S or D9L. Could be around 18L or so...? Again, the problem is for something not too far from that size, you can get a lot more. And also, would it even be worth showing off a beefy Noctua cooler+fans, the side of a GPU, a PSU fan, and the side of an intake fan? That's all you'd see, it's like 90% fans. I guess it would look nice with some LEDs.

Or you know, if a tempered glass side panel comes out for the M1, then you can just do that -- limited to only bottom intake which isn't very efficient for feeding the CPU. Or you can do a custom loop with a bottom rad + thick 92mm rear rad. Temperatures are not great with that config, but it looks amazing -- obviously very expensive and you gotta deal with custom watercooling. There's your niche within a niche ;) Would be in the tiny + window, but less performance category. Or get the A4-SFX windowed version next year. It's not tower style and would need regular cleaning, but a heck of a way to show off a GPU.

Last edited:
A traditional tower setup just isn't efficient enough for ITX. Putting the PSU next to the mainboard, where the drive cages used to reside, as in the Fractal Design Node 304 or the Silverstone SG08, or the venerable Ncase M1, will give you the same volume, but with the flexibility of a 280+ mm graphics card.

This is a good thread that brings up alot of information and highlights the lack of just smaller cases ..instead of cases for a small form factor motherboard .

We want NCase or almost NCase functionality and we get stuff like the Antec Cube or NZXT Manta ..Both are similiar in Size to a full size ATX Lian Li PC-A05FNA..oh and my favorite - they both cost almost as much as the NCase

Heck, have the same complaint about mATX ..the cases arent that much smaller , even the new model cases without the traditional drive cage upfront - they don't make the case any shorter just remove the cage and call the void radiator and water pump mounting .

Even simple stuff like updating the USB3.0 external to a USB-C so you don't have the huge plugs in the board and receptable in the case is a win ..but no one is doing yet.

I like room for a tower cooler that the Node 202 and Dan case don't allow - or at least big enough that the Stock WraithMax can fit . I also like the way the Lian Li Q10WX and the NCase do the power supply ..with a 140mm PS like SFX-L or SeaSonic Focus Plus you are not limited to a SFX PS like the new smaller cases including the refresh from Lian Li the Q38WX .

Kenny

A traditional tower setup just isn't efficient enough for ITX. Putting the PSU next to the mainboard, where the drive cages used to reside, as in the Fractal Design Node 304 or the Silverstone SG08, or the venerable Ncase M1, will give you the same volume, but with the flexibility of a 280+ mm graphics card.

Like I said in the OP, I'm not looking for absolute efficiency. I know that the tower layout is not the most efficient use of space, regardless of whether or not ATX or ITX parts are used.

My general gripe and greater overall question was whether or not there are any manufacturers or boutiques building tower style cases with ITX/SFF-only components.

I agree with you all the way! All the cases you can buy are just ATX cases with holes to put a mini-ITX mobo in it. I don’t care about full sized graphics cards anymore. I don’t care about support for full ATX power supplies and 5.25” drives. I Wish there were more cases like the MI-6, Hutzy XS, etc.

For me it is not about total volume, bragging rights or dimensions for packing it into a carrying case that fits airline regulations for carry-ons. It is about features and desk footprint.

I am fine with the size of my Jonsbo U3. It is bigger in volume but less deep than a NCase M1. It got a semi-passive ATX PSU, tower-cooler and slow/semi-passive fans inside. All other cases that would fit that are bigger, and I know that within the same dimensions there could have been something so much better.
I want cable management, dust filters and dampening mats!

This comment basically solved the thread. I wrote like 6 paragraphs philosophizing and he nailed the crux of the issue in one sentence. You need an M1-like layout for it to make sense. A short card is a turn-off for many and it also needs good airflow. You can have a front intake fan and space out the PSU and the card a bit, it's still not going to be enough for a 1080 Mini. Your CPU temperatures will suffer too. It needs fresh airflow. You move the SFX PSU next to the motherboard and you keep the same volume, but now have a long card that can directly intake from the outside (preferably blower-style). And I frankly don't think an SFX PSU is that ugly to show in that orientation thru a window, it's actually kind of cool to show off the density of the build.

So basically... The M1 with a side window would be pretty good. You'd rely on bottom and rear intake. I am frankly super excited about the M1 window panel coming out soon (I hope W360 is serious about it). Already have my build changes planned. It's funny, I thought all I cared about was performance, but I would gladly trade my AIO for a U9S, so I can see my build. So what, I'll downclock 200MHz, who cares. :D

I think it's still too large to meet the OP's requirements. I'm not a fan of the naked top vent on the H200i. It breaks up the clean aesthetic of the case IMO. I much prefer the Nano S's moduvent cover where you can choose to have a solid top. It's also just one mounting point on the H200i because of that cable management bar. The case is as large as the Nano S and slightly less functional, I think I still prefer the Nano S. I suspect Fractal will update it with a proper TG panel and a PSU shroud.

This is actually my design, currently under development here. I wouldn't normally crash a thread like this, but it sounds like you and I have been feeling the same pain?

I would be keen to get your thoughts on this design - as I feel like it fulfills your requirements jamesman32 Engr62 ?
  • Mini-itx
  • 240mm AIO support as standard
  • SFX PSU only
  • ITX GPU only
  • Tempered glass side panels
  • CNC machined aluminium case
  • Inspired by the Jonsbo UMX 1
Design is still in progress, but nearing production and will be available for pre-orders very soon, sign-up form is here.

XSQjtbc.png

Last edited:
That case looks more of a variant of the Dan A4 than the tower OP was proposing

and the GPU isn't hanging upside down, connected by a ribbon cable. This is Problem 2 of 3.

Well, yeah, that's because if you ask people that's what most will say they want. Manufacturers are just making what the market demands.

Who are these people? Most might say they want something but that doesn't mean it's what actually sells in numbers. I hope you're not going to say "people on hardware forums".

Who are these people? Most might say they want something but that doesn't mean it's what actually sells in numbers. I hope you're not going to say "people on hardware forums".
People on hardware forums.

See if this chain of reasoning makes sense:
  1. People who buy cases build their own PCs.
  2. People who build their own PCs are much more likely to be PC hobbyists than people who don't.
  3. PC hobbyists are much more likely to visit hardware forums.
  4. Therefore, the opinions of people on hardware forums are much more likely to track with those of people in the market for a case.

As far as what people say they want vs. what they actually buy, we need only look at the massive GPUs that are more widespread than ever. If these big cards didn't consistently sell, would manufacturers keep making them? Size is also a rough proxy for cooling performance and noise, as well, so bigger is generally also better. In comparison, small cards, like small cases, are a minor niche, with sales volume to match.

People on hardware forums.

See if this chain of reasoning makes sense:
  1. People who buy cases build their own PCs.
  2. People who build their own PCs are much more likely to be PC hobbyists than people who don't.
  3. PC hobbyists are much more likely to visit hardware forums.
  4. Therefore, the opinions of people on hardware forums are much more likely to track with those of people in the market for a case.

As far as what people say they want vs. what they actually buy, we need only look at the massive GPUs that are more widespread than ever. If these big cards didn't consistently sell, would manufacturers keep making them? Size is also a rough proxy for cooling performance and noise, as well, so bigger is generally also better. In comparison, small cards, like small cases, are a minor niche, with sales volume to match.

Yet there are more mini 1050 and 1060 cards out there from different companies than there are of mini 1070 and 1080 cards. Makes you wonder why several companies make so many models of half-height/low profile 1050s if it's a niche not even worth considering compared to the massive market of huge power hungry GPU's.

IMO most enthusiasts of high end hardware on forums like this really do seem well out of touch. I remember some insisting that because the Titan existed that the 1080 is really a mid range card with a price point to match a mind range card to boot. I've only ever seen 2 1080s out in the wild. Most people, even gamers play on far less hardware. Far far less.

I’ve never actually seen a 1080 in the wild. In fact all the people I know in real life thought I was going way overboard when I bought my 770. Most people I have played with online that were willing to talk about their hardware seem to think that you’ve got it made if you have a 1070. On the other hand, all I ever see on forums is 1080’s or 1080ti’s. It’s interesting how different crowds have such different expectations for what is normal.

I recently watched a youtuber who was saying that it’s the people out there buying the 1050’s and 1060’s that are the real majority and the real drivers of the market. I think Necere has a lot of merit to his logic chain, so maybe those masses of 1050 and 1060 buyers are just buying them with pre-built machines?

Another thought is that maybe a lot of people, when they buy their case, don’t want to hear that it wouldn’t be able to support a better graphics card if they wanted to upgrade in the future. Who doesn’t hope for a gtx 1080ti even if they can’t afford one now? The other major fear might be that it is too hard to find small graphics cards.

I think all these issues could be driving factors for why commercially available cases are so big, but hopefully communities like ours can inspire the big manufacturers to give smaller cases a chance.

Personally, I have come to grips with the idea that I will never be spending $700+ on a graphics card and since you can get ITX sized cards for anything that I will realistically buy, I am now ready to ditch the full-length graphics card requirement for future case purchases.

Edit: When Gigabyte released ther 1080 mini ITX I wanted to rush out and buy one, just to encourage them to keep making tiny, powerful cards. :p

Steam Hardware & Software Survey. Take a look at that and you will see mid range cards are the most commonly used. The GTX 1080 is 13th on that list and the GTX 1080 Ti is 23rd.

The Steam survey is a good benchmark for gamers but not necessarily a good benchmark for the “average” PC user, since participation in the survey is predicated on having the Steam client installed on your computer.

I’d be surprised if the real #1 GPU on the list wasn’t Intel HD 620 or similar. That being said, as someone mentioned above, average PC users aren’t buying their own cases and other parts piecemeal so maybe we don’t want to include non-enthusiasts in our results, at all.

I think the best datapoint would be something like a sample of PCPartPicker builds scraped for GPU usage. But I’m sure a large percentage of PC part lists on that site are never actually bought and built.

Back