Proper order of driver installation

synergyo1

2[H]4U
I'm wondering what is the proper order to install hardware drivers after a fresh XP install. Also, where online can I get a stand alone, offline SP2 and DirectX installer? I don't like the idea of waiting 4-6 weeks for the CD.

Sp2
direct x (though I think Direct X comes in SP2)

the order I do it is:
1)SP2
2)mobo drivers
3)video drivers
4)other random drivers
5)programs

my SP2 disc came in a few days, er... make that my 5 SP2 discs came in a few days. ahhhh the wonders of hitting back and forward over and over :p

Sp2 ( and yes direct x is in it )
2. mobo drivers
3. video drivers
4. the rest of your systems drivers

You'll probably be better off downloading the offline version of SP2, and then using nLite to slipstream SP2 into a cd image, as well as integrate mobo, video, and other drivers you need . Burn the disc, and install. No hassle of having to install SP2, and drivers after your clean install.

Or, if you just want to simply slipstream the SP2 file into your XP CD, Autostreamer works even better, and is much easier. I never bothered with adding drivers to my CD anyway, because it would be more of a hassle to have to update the CD over and over again.

I save the configurations (but not the cd image) I make for each of my computers. If new driver version comes out, updating it is easy, and when I need to do a reformat, can just make a new cd image, and burn it to an rw disc. I also like the features in nLite that let you remove components, services, etc. Can be nice to throw out useless services (eg security center), and all the resource hogs like system restore before you install. Also its a lot easier to do various tweaks to the OS through nLite, than it is to do them via the registry after you install.

Back