proper name server help asap (NS) in dns

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
we have a primary email server and a server that hosts our web pages and dns cache.

1. dns/web server is called "citrix" so something like citrix.trpress.com

2. we have a mail server.. so the mail would be mail.trpress.com for instance
this machine's name is ETP...

3. what should our name servers be on our citrix dns server?
etp.tpress.com ...

or

citrix.tpress.com

?

we currently have them pointing to tmk.tpress.com an old server that hosted email, web and dns all in one! so any ideas?

Unless your new email server is also doing DNS, you need to set it to itself. It can resolve it's own queries. It should have forwarders set up (if needed) to resolve domains it is not authoritative to (this is in DNS that is, not any kind of client setting). Hope that's not too confusing.

wee got that. but for each domain our name server is pointing to our old all in one server no longer in use (mail/web/dns). This old server was called TMK.

we now host the webpages and dns on our citrix server (192.x.x.7), this server is called CITRIX (for internal use only)

our mail is hosted on 192.x.x.2 , this sever is called ETP

should the name servers for example... tmk.etradepress.com be renamed to
citrix.etradepress.com for all name servers on all domains
or
etp.etradepress.com for all name servers on all domains...

remeber citrix = dns + web
etp = email (like mail.etradepress.com)

what do you think?

also our internal dns server is having issues finding a domain name. i'll write about that tomorrow.

run a nslookup internally and externally on and out of the network and find out what the fqdn resolves to.

You also have to change entries to point to the new servers.

Sorry misread the whole post

im surprised you use citrix internally only as you arent utilizing full functionality, something like sharepoint would work a lot better for internal use.

It would be bad practice to name the servers by the services that are running, what if you setup another citrix server for load balance, you would be left with citrix2 and citrix when you could of named it citrix1.

Think of standardization, also in terms of security you are pretty much screaming hey, this is my citrix server, or hey this is my mail server.

about your issues with internal dns server finding the domain name, run nslookup, and check the dns forwarders, check your name servers.

Check to see also that dns is replicating on all your dns servers, check for any dns errors in the event log. I am going to assume you are working in the same subnet and same domain as your op suggests.

thanks guys but could you do a direct reply to my post above? I'll paste it here again, this is an urgent issue I'd like to work on.

"but for each domain our name server is pointing to our old all in one server no longer in use (mail/web/dns). This old server was called TMK.

we now host the webpages and dns on our citrix server (192.x.x.7), this server is called CITRIX (for internal use only)

our mail is hosted on 192.x.x.2 , this sever is called ETP

should the name servers for example... tmk.etradepress.com be renamed to
citrix.etradepress.com for all name servers on all domains
or
etp.etradepress.com for all name servers on all domains...

remeber citrix = dns + web
etp = email (like mail.etradepress.com)

what do you think?

also our internal dns server is having issues finding a domain name. i'll write about that tomorrow."

does this indicate anything?

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>netstat -s

IPv4 Statistics

Packets Received = 27333940
Received Header Errors = 0
Received Address Errors = 3277
Datagrams Forwarded = 0
Unknown Protocols Received = 0
Received Packets Discarded = 39
Received Packets Delivered = 27330639
Output Requests = 26937047
Routing Discards = 0
Discarded Output Packets = 0
Output Packet No Route = 0
Reassembly Required = 0
Reassembly Successful = 0
Reassembly Failures = 0
Datagrams Successfully Fragmented = 0
Datagrams Failing Fragmentation = 0
Fragments Created = 0

ICMPv4 Statistics

Received Sent
Messages 5268 2378
Errors 0 0
Destination Unreachable 3217 488
Time Exceeded 161 0
Parameter Problems 0 0
Source Quenches 0 0
Redirects 0 0
Echos 1609 281
Echo Replies 281 1609
Timestamps 0 0
Timestamp Replies 0 0
Address Masks 0 0
Address Mask Replies 0 0

TCP Statistics for IPv4

Active Opens = 620060
Passive Opens = 380171
Failed Connection Attempts = 24997
Reset Connections = 468446
Current Connections = 1471
Segments Received = 13997778
Segments Sent = 13689377
Segments Retransmitted = 100768

UDP Statistics for IPv4

Datagrams Received = 13322081
No Ports = 3173249
Receive Errors = 3
Datagrams Sent = 13139860

currently if we run one email campaign.. our server is fine. if we run a 2nd and 3rd email campaign our email gets backed up 30-60 minutes... this was not an issue in the past. i have spent over 40 hours on tech support calls with ipswitch... still no luck.

i am wondering if the server is lagging out between itself and the firewall or the dns server.

The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {AE6D871B-ADFF-4573-AA1B-215E0E24D120}
Host Name : etp
Primary Domain Suffix : etradepress.local
DNS server list :
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server contacted refused the update request. The reasons for this might be (a) you are not allowed to update the specified DNS domain name, or (b) because the DNS server authoritative for this name does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

sorry didn't see your post... I will run those in a bit... thanks!

any specific commands to run?

we updated and fixed all the dns/ns stuff now... still having slow email delivery

Back