Proof Crossfire is about to be released-$100 ecoupons from ATi

Ah... the rebate has been out for quite sometime. Besides, ATI has been saying October for the last few months.

Yeah, that $100 offer has been around since June or early July.

dderidex said:
Wonder how much the Crossfire master cards will debut at?
From beyond3d after ATI officially announced Crossfire 2 months ago:
X850 256MB ($549 MSR)
X800 256MB* ($299 MSRP)
X800 128MB* ($249 MSRP)

*Note: we wanted to confirm the specification of these X800 boards with ATI and their reply was "Both X800 CrossFire cards are 16 pipe with XL clocks".

Killdozer said:
Even with a master card do you need to get a crossfire board?
Depends entirely on ATI. There is supposedly nothing in the *technology* to prevent it from working in any mobo with 2 PCI-E 16x/8x slots...the question is just whether ATI will lock it down to require an Xpress200 mobo vs being able to work on an Intel or nForce mobo.

dderidex said:
Depends entirely on ATI. There is supposedly nothing in the *technology* to prevent it from working in any mobo with 2 PCI-E 16x/8x slots...the question is just whether ATI will lock it down to require an Xpress200 mobo vs being able to work on an Intel or nForce mobo.
Goddamn. I hope they let it work on non-Xpress200 boards.

Killdozer said:
It would be stupid if they didn't. If it isn't obvious to them that nVidia has the dual-PCI-E mobo market cornered, then they don't deserve to make a profit on this. Forcing customers to buy an Xpress200 would lose them sales, instead of gaining it, simply due to the huge installed user base of NF4s.
That, and Crossfire is all about compatability with current hardware people own. Why would they say "Use your current card, but you can get munted if you think you can use your current board." ?

banGerprawN said:
It would be stupid if they didn't. If it isn't obvious to them that nVidia has the dual-PCI-E mobo market cornered, then they don't deserve to make a profit on this. Forcing customers to buy an Xpress200 would lose them sales, instead of gaining it, simply due to the huge installed user base of NF4s.
That, and Crossfire is all about compatability with current hardware people own. Why would they say "Use your current card, but you can get munted if you think you can use your current board." ?

Ya but it does not make much sense. Then why make a seperate chipset, when it can work on nf4? customers will still buy the nf4 since now they can sli AND crossfire. An i think that ATI thinks the other way around, with the install user base of ati cardholder, they would sell more xpress200, hence profit from it.

But i hope some clever people will find a way to softmod current nf4 to make them crossfire compatible. Or come up with some super-duper-chipset that support both crossfire and nf4..........or sli a radeon with a geforce

Ah... the rebate has been out for quite sometime. Besides, ATI has been saying October for the last few months.

After this post, this thread serves no point, and I can already see a flame war developing...can we get a lock here?

robberbaron said:
How can this be answered when Crossfire doesn't exist in a tangible form.
It seems strange that there haven't been any review boards sent out yet IF it's going to be released soon.

This reminds me of the Free HL2 offer that ATi had bundled with their 9800 XT cards... LOL... I know that it was not their fault that HL2 wasn't released sooner but it still makes me wonder if ATi isn't jumping the gun again.

Killdozer said:

I think I remember reading something about it possibly working with other chipsets...one of Intels I think. I don't remember anything about NF4 compatibility.

It could be Nvidia locking it down and not allowing crossfire to work, and not ATI locking to only their own chipset.

I wouldn't be suprised if crossfire didn't work on SLI boards at launch. It seems like it would be easier to make a system like this work if you had control over as much of it as possible. With control over the video cards and the chipset, ATI could probably get their solution to market faster than if they made it work with another companie's tech. My guess is that crossfire will be express200 only for the first few driver releases, and ASAP they will get the system working on Nf4 boards. Same thing happened with SLI, it was originally only AMD compatable but now you can get Intel systems as well, just because it took them longer to develop a solution for another use.

TheTMan said:
I wouldn't be suprised if crossfire didn't work on SLI boards at launch. It seems like it would be easier to make a system like this work if you had control over as much of it as possible. With control over the video cards and the chipset, ATI could probably get their solution to market faster than if they made it work with another companie's tech. My guess is that crossfire will be express200 only for the first few driver releases, and ASAP they will get the system working on Nf4 boards. Same thing happened with SLI, it was originally only AMD compatable but now you can get Intel systems as well, just because it took them longer to develop a solution for another use.
I would hope that you could use SLI on a Crossfire board and vice versa. Since the connection is directly between the cards, why should the chipset matter? And in any case, PCI express is serial by its very nature, so I don't see why the data couldn't go through the chipset if needed.

However, I'll bet both ATI and Nvidia will lock it down so that you can only get moose juice if you're a moose and goose juice if you're a goose. And that kind of sucks, because theoretically it ought to work.

Or am I missing something
:confused:

Rollo said:
$100 coupon is nice, but this is a better deal IMO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130234

Advantages:
1. It exists and is for sale
2. One 7800GTX will likely be close to Crossfire X800 performance, and it's stable/tested tech
:rolleyes:

Wowm, what a useful post. I'm sure that'd help a LOT given that I ALREADY HAVE AN X800XL!

So, what, you are saying that you think a 7800GTX would be as cheap as another X800XL minus a $100 coupon? If so, hot damn, better link THAT deal!

dderidex said:

Wowm, what a useful post. I'm sure that'd help a LOT given that I ALREADY HAVE AN X800XL!

So, what, you are saying that you think a 7800GTX would be as cheap as another X800XL minus a $100 coupon? If so, hot damn, better link THAT deal!

LOL ... 0wned. :D

dderidex said:

I don't see where he targeted that post at you or people in your situation.

dderidex said:

Actually, it would come out possibly about even given that you need 2xX800XL (1 being the Crossfire master card) + (possibly) Xpress200 Crossfire mobo. And he was pointing out you can get a 7800GTX + "free" SLI eVGA mobo for $550 now. Overall, it probably comes out even in terms of net cost. We'll wait and see on performance :).

robberbaron said:
I don't see where he targeted that post at you or people in your situation.
And who else is still going to be getting on the Crossfire bandwagon at this point?

Anyone with gobs of money to blow at once who wants the absolute fastest, bar none, has gone nVidia SLI a LONG time ago, now. The only people to whom Crossfire is still of interest is those currently with an ATI card they may have had for months and can do another 'incremental' upgrade of another card and mobo soon (especially with the $100 rebate).

I wouldnt dwell too much on hypothetical costs of the crossfire vs. 7800/SLI solutions yet guys. There is about 3 too many "if"s to come to a conclusion

We dont know the actual costs invoved yet. And we dont know the performance difference yet. Nor do we know how compatible it will be. So let the "if" statements flow

If crossfire turns out to be a better solution in terms of performance, big or small, people will buy it. The best is the best no matter the cost.

If its not quite as good, they can still sell it successfully with competitive pricing.

sbrown23 said:
LOL ... 0wned. :D

Hardly.

As has been pointed out, that card with a motherboard is $550 and likely offers similar performance at a similar cost. (the ATI master card is MSRP $299, and the mother board probably another $100 after rebate- selling the X800XL for $150+ yields <$399 or less for the GTX rig out of pocket- less when you could sell the motherboard)

So what do you have if you choose to wait for X800XL Crossfire? No EXR HDR, no transparency AA, no soft stencil shadows, no displacement mapping, no SM3.

All you have is a rig that gives comparable frames to the GTX, on games that work well with Crossfire. The 7800GTX will be way faster on games that don't.

Any "owning" going on here is from my end of the discussion. ;)

Back