prolimatech megashadow vs megahalems rev. B

SylarPowers

[H]ard|Gawd
does the mega shadow heatsink have the revision b upgrades of the megahalems heatsink (whatever they are) and is the nickle plating of the mega shadow interfering with any cooling vs the regular megahalems version?

and is the mega shadow better than watercooling?

1. The new revision of the Megahalems performs the same as the orginal.
2. It'll out perform all-in-one water-cooling solutions such as the Corsair H50, but a true water-cooling setup will win everytime. But, they do cost a bit more.

No performance difference in the two, but my understanding was the regular megahalems had a different plate changed on the top (visible side) that prevents oxidation like you will see on the megashadow. Imho, the megashadow isn't worth the extra $15, and if I did it over again I simply grab a true black instead.

oh you mentioned oxcidation, it that an issue to worry about on the mega shadow, does the true vC have it, how bout the true black? Honestly I was going for the mega shadow for looks, but I could snag a true if there was a benefit. Is the true black vC as well?

No performance difference in the two, but my understanding was the regular megahalems had a different plate changed on the top (visible side) that prevents oxidation like you will see on the megashadow. Imho, the megashadow isn't worth the extra $15, and if I did it over again I simply grab a true black instead.

does the nickel plating not protect against oxidation in the Mega Shadow?

Last edited:
Prolimatech emailed me back, they said:

"Mega Shadow and Megahalems Rev.B were released at about the same time.
Mega Shadow performs as good as Megahalems.
Both of them can protect against oxidation and scratches well.
Mega Shadow is a deluxe edition with a nice package and special color.
It depends on your budget and preference."

I would imagine the all over coating of the Mega Shadow protects more than the stainless steel top plated Ver. B Megahalems, as that only protects just the top plate. So I bought the Mega Shadow. Looks amazing in person, it is built uber nice and was the right choice for me.

Sorry for reviving an old thread...

Did anyone else think that the Mega Shadow isn't really black or is it just me? I just got it in today and I expected a black heatsink essentially, still looks pretty chrome-like to me.

Is the nickle plating noticeably black/dark or just slightly? Thanks~

Sorry for reviving an old thread...

Did anyone else think that the Mega Shadow isn't really black or is it just me? I just got it in today and I expected a black heatsink essentially, still looks pretty chrome-like to me.

Is the nickle plating noticeably black/dark or just slightly? Thanks~

I've had the pleasure of comparing my mega shadow to a Rev B, and the mega shadow is quite darker, but not black.

Hmm, maybe I had different expectations. As I've had a normal TRUE and a black TRUE and that one was noticeably black, I guess I just expected the same.

Since I've never had a regular megahalems, I can't actually compare the two. Pictures online show a completely black mega shadow and one that looks sort of chrome-like like mine.

Thanks for the responses nlkc and PnkPwrRngr :)

Back