Proliant ML10 Gen9 i3 6100 - 199

Not bad. Glad HP decided to use a more standard case layout. The bog standard ML10 Gen8 case was horrible.

Does HPE stuff still require you to sign up/in to receive access to downloads and/or a support subscription thingy to download BIOS updates after warranty runs out?

Does HPE stuff still require you to sign up/in to receive access to downloads and/or a support subscription thingy to download BIOS updates after warranty runs out?
Typically only for the SPP (Service Pack for Proliant) ISOs. The drivers/firmware are usually all available as individual downloads and do not require a service contract.

I have an r210 II with an i3 in it, and sourcing memory was much more expensive than my xeon servers, b/c you can only run the unbuffered ecc with it.

not the cheapo registered.

You can usually swap to the equivalent xeon to get around that, just have to check what is supported.

I always look at getting one of these servers when they come up at this price. The advantage I see is having a warranty. My problem is that you can pick up a older workstation PC for a little more and have a ton more power.

Quad core Xeon, 16GB ECC RDIMM (Much cheaper than UDIMM)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z420-Workstation-XEON-E5-1620-3-7GHz-16GB-1TB-HDD-NO-OS-/152639133517

I just paid $225 for a Lenovo S30 (E5-1620V2, 32GB DDR3 ECC, 2TB Hdd, dual video cards that will end up in my trash pile)

I have also watched Dell T3600 and HP Z420's go for under $200 if you want to try and win an auction.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep, I should have gone for a used workstation class PC instead of the PowerEdge T110 ii (E3-1240 v2, 8GB) I bought a while back.
I did get the 2012 Server OS bundled for what I paid though. That would be a good chunk more to add on to a used Ebay box.

Probably saving a little on the AC power bill over a workstation and the T110 ii is dead silent, so that is good.

Are those workstations quiet, or do they have a lot of fan noise?

In hindsight, I should have bought a box like that Z240 and hunted down a cheap server OS.
I would have saved a good bit of cash and had a faster box.

ETA: What video cards are you scraping?

>>dual video cards that will end up in my trash pile

Yep, I should have gone for a used workstation class PC instead of the PowerEdge T110 ii (E3-1240 v2, 8GB) I bought a while back.
I did get the 2012 Server OS bundled for what I paid though. That would be a good chunk more to add on to a used Ebay box.

Probably saving a little on the AC power bill over a workstation and the T110 ii is dead silent, so that is good.

Are those workstations quiet, or do they have a lot of fan noise?

In hindsight, I should have bought a box like that Z240 and hunted down a cheap server OS.
I would have saved a good bit of cash and had a faster box.

ETA: What video cards are you scraping?

>>dual video cards that will end up in my trash pile

Getting 2012 server is nice, not a cheap license. More and more I am preferring Linux on my servers.

The 1240v2 is a nice CPU. The only issue I ever have with them is the damn UDIMM's. I picked up 2x16GB DDR3 ECC RDIMMS for $30 total last week, 8 gig sticks I try to pay under 12.50/ea.

The S30 is quiet but not silent, it is no louder than most dell/hp desktops. I am sure it pulls more power than the i3 servers though. Video cards are the quadro NVS 315. I don't have the splitter adapters (https://www.amazon.com/DMS-59-DVI-SPLITTER-ADAPTER-0R0915/dp/B00PBAANMO) so they are useless to me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Getting 2012 server is nice, not a cheap license. More and more I am preferring Linux on my servers.
I do too but my buddy convinced me to use 2012 to host my network drive because of the simplicity and I was sold.

Back