Projector suitable for day to day usage now?

Snappshoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Well basically wondering like the title ask's,

Are projectors suitable for Day to day usage, figure about 2-6 hours a day, broadcast/gaming/movies?

Ive got my eye on a Optoma GT750E (3D ready, 720p, Short throw, 3000L) which has been praised all over the net as a decent PJ for the price. (~650)

Depending on which way I set it up, will be either a 80" screen or 95".

I know bulbs are kinda expensive, but plan on ordering 2 spares of the rip.. Will also be grabbing a cheap screen, Think MC has one for about 70 bucks..

Or

Should I just stick with my first thought of finding a cheap AND decent Plasma ~50"?
TV will cost more right now, but in the long run the PJ will, but also at the same time, Bigger is BETTER right????!

Last edited:
LG has some nice LED projectors that don't need the bulb to be replaced every year or tow.
I think all projectors need to be in dimly lit room though at least.

Well basically wondering like the title ask's,

Are projectors suitable for Day to day usage, figure about 2-6 hours a day, broadcast/gaming/movies?

Ive got my eye on a Optoma GT750E (3D ready, 720p, Short throw, 3000L) which has been praised all over the net as a decent PJ for the price. (~650)

Depending on which way I set it up, will be either a 80" screen or 95".

I know bulbs are kinda expensive, but plan on ordering 2 spares of the rip.. Will also be grabbing a cheap screen, Think MC has one for about 70 bucks..

Or

Should I just stick with my first thought of finding a cheap AND decent Plasma ~50"?
TV will cost more right now, but in the long run the PJ will, but also at the same time, Bigger is BETTER right????!

I use an Epson 8350 (1080p LCD projector) daily for a few to several hours, runs like a champ and works spectacularly as a home theater projector and a daily usage projector even with ambient light. I run it on an 84" 1.1 gain EliteScreens 16:9 matte white screen. Bulbs aren't that brutal if you think about it, since the ones for mine are rated at 4000 hours and cost $250/less each. At let's say 4 hours of use daily average every single day of the year, if it goes at 3500 hours that's still around two and a half years of use each bulb typically. $250 over ~30 months is about $8.33 a month averaged out, and some companies will even replace the bulb so long as the projector is in warranty still (Epson is well known for this on the AVSforum).

Definitely would recommend going for a projector, :). I eventually plan on going for a 120" or so screen.... which my projector can handle, but I don't have the room for right now. Bigger is better, and projector image quality rocks.

Sweet yea, Bulbs are right around 140-180 price, for the Optoma, which really is not bad. The specs on the optoma say 4000 hours, but then when i look at replacement bulbs they state 2-3k hours.

I do like that LG, but, Im kinda stuck on the Optoma for the 3D..

But I think im going to do a little research on that LG..

Well went with a Vivitek D803W-3D, pretty much same specs, besides the throw distance, (kinda regret it now, but will fix once i find a ceiling mount), plus was 200 bucks cheaper..

For just tossing it up and half assing it, its not bad. This is my first projector, so still a noob, to all the settings.. But for now, with a Wii U and black crap 2, its pretty fun!.

Keep in mind that Projectors use a lot more power than a LCD's or even a Plasmas some good Projectors even use over 300 WATT. My 24" LCD uses around 20 WATT so if run your a projector 4 houers a day you will see this on your electric bill. :)
And bigger isn't better it depends how far you away from the screen. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Projectors use a lot more power than a LCD's or even a Plasmas some good Projectors even use over 300 WATT. My 24" LCD uses around 20 WATT so if run your a projector 4 houers a day you will see this on your electric bill. :)
And bigger isn't better it depends how far you away from the screen. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

My electric bill is pretty cheap, so wont be to bad.

And with the way I have it set up now, roughly 8/12 ft away, is pretty much spot on for the 80" picture I have.

But I will say, I love it.. Definitely feel more immersed. Went back to my samsung 50" plasma, to give the projector a break, and felt soo small.. lol

Back