Project: ...With an Iron Fist

FiZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Here is my first worklog:

Case: Evercase 4252
Mods: Front panel(some already done), side panel window + dremelled fist, paint, and more.

Here are some pics:

Unmodded case (didn't take any pictures prior to modifications so this is actually an updated version of the case taken from newegg)
frontprepre.jpg

Modded front panel with extra sound inputs, not finished (dremeled out an unused floppy and cd-rom drive cover and put together, will take pictures of the inside wiring job soon)
frontpre.jpg

Case w/o side panel
sidenopanel.jpg

Side panel with cutting guide (the drawing was originally by Pushead, I cutout the guide but all credit of the original fist goes to him)
sideprecut.jpg

I will cut the window out and most of the fist (if not all) tomorrow.

Edit: Unsure about this host, it was posted as a good one by FLECOM but if the images go down I will find another quick.

Edit 2: Went down, fixed.

shall I withhold any comment on metallica?

yes, yes I should

keep us posted I want to see where this is going

Metallica had this as an album cover on St. Anger, but Pushead did the artwork. I liked the cover the first time I saw it, can't say much about the album however.

jayjaya29 said:
Case would look great with a nice paintjob.
Hope so, thinking black with a little red.

Have a little update, ran out of reinforced discs and it is kinda late so have to wait to tomorrow to pick up about 20 more. Only finished a little (timewise).

Here is the whole panel, still need to cut the whole middle part of the fist and a few straight cuts at the lower right.
cutmidwhole.jpg

Here is an angled shot of just the fist, kinda blurry cause the camera wanted to focus on the background instead of the panel.
cutmidmost.jpg

Upper right, this picture sucks and I didn't feel like uploading a better one.
cutmidupr.jpg

Another crappy pic, but of the lower fist.
cutmidmid.jpg

That's it for today, tomorrow I will hunker down and get as much done as I can. Some of the parts in the fist are going to be a pain in the ass, but I knew that was going to be the case when I got done with the stencil.

files are your friend....dont cut to close you can always take mre off but can never add more. So far looking good, keep it up.

JEEVES

I actually love to use my dremel as a tiny little detail fixer upper. Once I make my cuts with the dremel, I get very still and use the very edge of the blade to slowly nick away the frays until it is perfectly flat.

I do that sometimes, but I have to be in a very patient mood. I really hate using metal files on metal edges, the sound is horrible! HORRIBLE!

Good job so far though man. When I saw the cover of the album I first thought Pantera, then I thought, nice cover, then I thought, oh wait... it's Metallica.

I really don't care for any Metallica after their self titled album. Although I do enjoy their S & M CD very much. For the symphony or the far fetched relation to bondage, you tell me ;)

J/k don't want to put out the wrong impression, it's all about the bondage.

:confused: :p

Thanks, I have access to a whole workshop and will definately file. I am a perfectionist so there won't be any rough edges.

Whelp I knew that host was going to be flaky, fixing the first batch of images now. I would just host them myself but I am anal and don't like running a server 24/7 because of a little more RAM usage, etc.

Should mention I have used a dremel before (ok quite a bit), this is my first worklog but I have done a few other mods.

hmmm....I woulda just ran through those big areas with a jigsaw if it were me. little faster than a dremel (and saves your discs too)

siege said:
hmmm....I woulda just ran through those big areas with a jigsaw if it were me. little faster than a dremel (and saves your discs too)
My dad has my jigsaw, it would have been a lot easier :( .

Got to a late start today so not much finished, actually just got done dremelling (2:30 am ;) ).

Pics:

Only did about 3 of the fingers. Didn't cut out the remaining edges to the lower right because I wanted to have some support for cutting the inside. The metal isn't real thin but not that thick either, and I don't want to have to bend everything straight with such small pieces when I'm finished.
wholefingercut.jpg

Hand shot.
handfingercut.jpg

Close up of the cutting.
fingerscut.jpg

Who is that ass that has their fingers in my shot :rolleyes: .
fingerscutlift.jpg

I will do some more tomorrow, picked up a very small diamond plated dremel piece and I want to see how it works for the tight spots. Also got some clear acrylic for the window @ Home Depot.

if metallica didnt ruin it id love the design. but blah. i hate them now.

looking really good so far though

Another late start, but got more done tonight than the past few nights.

Pics:

In the process of making the first cut of the night:
d4cut.jpg

OMG GET THOSE THUMBS UPP!!!11! (Shelby Cobra kit car body behind):
d4meh.jpg

Shot of everything I got done tonight:
d4whole.jpg

Upper fist:
d4upper.jpg

Lower fist:
d4lower.jpg

That is it for tonight. The diamond plated bit works great for the tight spots, although not as easy to control as most. It likes to bounce off the metal whether using high/low RPM, or stick in certain places and gouge out a nice hole. Will probably finish cutting tomorrow.

Was going to post an update tonight but I will just wait till tomorrow. Virtually finished with dremelling, just have to take out two tiny little spots. I am going to use a 1/16 inch drill bit in the center of each and bring them out farther with my diamond plated bit, then done. Might start sanding and painting tomorrow (just the side panel, need to do some work with bondo on the front bezel and dremel out some worthless crap inn the inner case).

Well just got done working on the window + drilling out the holes for it in the side panel which is almost done. I still have to do some more work to the side panel, namely a hole which I just found which was drilled prior to any work (course I didn't notice it before I started dremelling) but I will definately do that this weekend + front bezel work I hope. I am going to fix the hole (about 1/8th drill size) just by filling it with my wire feed. I am trying to think if I want to do any other welding on this case, because it is kind of flimsy. Update tomorrow.

Beautiful dremeling. Very nicely done. Takes a lot of skill to do what you did, congrats, should look wonderful.

theHeat said:
Beautiful dremeling. Very nicely done. Takes a lot of skill to do what you did, congrats, should look wonderful.
Thank you much :D .

I just need to file now, and straighten the edges that are supposed to be straight.

Pics:

Whole panel:
d5side.jpg

Close up on the fist:
d5whole.jpg

Upper close up:
d5upper.jpg

Lower close up (notice the hole from a previous fan that used to be there, didn't notice it till after I started dremeling):
d5lowerr.jpg

Going to fill the hole with this:
d5lincoln.jpg

That is it for today. I was going to start sand blasting and prepping for car primer but it was blazing hot today. Might wake up early and do that tomorrow (more than likely).

Edit: Ah yeah, that is the window beneath the side panel. Still has the protective cover on both sides, just cut it with my jigsaw.

doing some very nice dremel work here pal. Keep up the good work, and don't let these whiney little bitches get you down. Mod for you, not for anyone else.

oh yea, more pics :p

STRESSTEST said:
doing some very nice dremel work here pal. Keep up the good work, and don't let these whiney little bitches get you down. Mod for you, not for anyone else.

oh yea, more pics :p
Thanks :) . More pics? Heh, I just threw those up tonight. More tomorrow though for sure.

Just filled in that hole with my MIG and did some more filing.

aL Mac said:
Man you have a nice workshop!
Heh, 40 by 60 ft.

I was going to sand blast today but when I woke up it was raining, and still is. Never would have thought that when the past week has been in the upper 90's without a cloud :rolleyes: .

Just picked up some car primer and some wet/dry sandpaper. I also finished filing the edges. Am going to get up early(ish) tomorrow and sandblast and do as many coats as possible so its smoove as butta. Trying to decide what colors I want to go with. Probably black/dark red for the main color and a light(er) red for accent. For the inside I think I am just going to do a flat black, for some reason gloss on the inside of a case looks off to me. So update with pics tomorrow.

FiZ said:
Just picked up some car primer and some wet/dry sandpaper. I also finished filing the edges. Am going to get up early(ish) tomorrow and sandblast and do as many coats as possible so its smoove as butta. Trying to decide what colors I want to go with. Probably black/dark red for the main color and a light(er) red for accent. For the inside I think I am just going to do a flat black, for some reason gloss on the inside of a case looks off to me. So update with pics tomorrow.

I was thinking pink, yellow and orange, but I guess your idea is better :p

Actually, I think it would be sweet to have the inside painted glossy black, the outside a glossy white, color the plexi behind the fist red and paint the outlines to the fist ONLY in black... then use red for other parts of the outside of the case.

I think the huge contrast in the white with red and black parts would look make it much better than the oh so common black and red with more black and some black to go with it.

ness1469 said:
I was thinking pink, yellow and orange, but I guess your idea is better :p

Actually, I think it would be sweet to have the inside painted glossy black, the outside a glossy white, color the plexi behind the fist red and paint the outlines to the fist ONLY in black... then use red for other parts of the outside of the case.

I think the huge contrast in the white with red and black parts would look make it much better than the oh so common black and red with more black and some black to go with it.
Thanks for the comments. I decided not to go with black, just because everyone else uses it. I am still unsure of what colors to use, although red will be used a very small amount.

Also, no pics because I let a friend borrow my digital camera for a few days.

nice looking cutout. as to color, maybe the color theme from the metallica cover would be cool. good job so far.

Hinokagutsuchi said:
What about a rust-like color on the fist? It'd go with the Iron Fist theme.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I would like to keep the case clean but I may experiment with a rust/worn look.

Have a quick question for you painting gurus. What would cause a car primer to go on dry? I have painted many car frames with the exact same stuff and it went on much easier. I am mixing the can enough and applying it exactly the same as I did with the car painting. Pissing me off because I have had to go back and sand it again, it goes on like a layer of dust - I don't get it.

is it a new can? if it isn't (or maybe even if it is) it could be too old to work right, or it may be empty or something like that. that's all i can really think of (unless it is really hot where you are all of a sudden or something strange like that)

rogue_jedi said:
is it a new can? if it isn't (or maybe even if it is) it could be too old to work right, or it may be empty or something like that. that's all i can really think of (unless it is really hot where you are all of a sudden or something strange like that)
I got them right off the shelf, but maybe they were there a little too long. I can't see them going bad just from shelf life, but they could I guess. It isn't all that hot either - only 80 or so when I was painting.

Edit: Bad batch on the shelf....waste of my time. Time to switch from Rustoleum primer to Krylon (after I give Rustoleum a call and get my money back for the 3 cans I bought).

Pics tomorrow, going to finish priming. Stuff is looking good so far. That shitty primer set me back a few days and I have been pretty busy with life - but tomorrow I have off.

Little update with some pics. Finished priming and just started painting. I was going to paint it white and red but decided to go with red and brown. I need to return the white paint (was going to be main color, so couldn't start painting the other panels).

Panels primed (Krylon) and sanded down with some 600 grit sandpaper:
d6panels.jpg

Windowed panel:
d6fist.jpg

I tried to get this shot to show how smooth the surface is, but didn't turn out:
d6fistside.jpg

Here is the first coat of the red, the masked part will be brown (along with the rest of the case other than a few highlights of red - namely on the front bezel), still need to sand and let it dry fully so I can put one more coat on:
d6paint.jpg

That is it for tonight. I can't remember the brand of the paint, so I will just throw that in the next update.

Edit: Pics went down.

looks pretty good.... i did a red case too, it was just cherry red instead of rust red.... but still cool:)

rogue_jedi said:
looks pretty good.... i did a red case too, it was just cherry red instead of rust red.... but still cool:)
Thanks. It actually isn't rust red. I forget the name of the color but I think it is just a dark red. If it turns out to look like a rust red I wouldn't mind at all though.

Fiz, that is really nice attention to detail. Metallica would be proud of your work!! Keep the pics coming right til the end. Oh by the way I think your lincoln welder is Hot!! Nice work, nice shop. Life is good.

WeldZilla

Back