Project Trashcan: An Ikea "Trashcan" Computer

Bone_Enterprise

Enter in the Rear
2yxcW7bl.jpg
L2iBmfPl.jpg

So this is my first ever "custom" build, I have never really fabricated anything ever so this definitely was a experience, especially as I did this with no actual workshop to speak of, or tools to speak of other than a drill and some other things, although in the end it did work out extremely well, this was all done on the desk next to where I sit in my office, in some card board boxes, and on a fold out table just outside our office door.

I did not post a "real time" or "as I went" log of this build because I was unable to fully focus all my time and resources on getting it done in what I would consider a timely manner as I was doing this when I had spare time at work, hell even the pictures I took were for my own use so I could look back on this later, never really intended to post it up at all until I showed a few people I knew and they said I should do it, so here we are.

This project was an idea of my co-workers daughter, she is finishing up high school and getting ready to possibly go off to college, so she wanted a "basic" computer (in terms of the hardware that went inside of it) to take with her, that being said she wanted to make a spin off of the Apple Mac Pro whatever the fuck thing that looks like a trashcan, and have an actual computer made, out of a trashcan but based off of a non Apple eco-system.

I have uploaded almost all the pictures on Imgur for everyone to review, I had over 300 pictures and scaled it down to 124 for posting purposes.

If I was building this for my personal unit I would have got different parts, so the decision on these were not mine, I just used what I had, links not made for some items as I am not sure what brand or whatever was used for the items, so just gave a close enough descriptor:

Parts:
SPRUTT Stool with storage
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI LGA 1150 Motherboard
Intel i3-4370 3.8GGhz 4MB Cache LGA1150 CPU
Toshiba P300 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Buffer SATA HDD
Corsair CX430M 430 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 CL9 1.5V RAM
3 x Logisys LDXRM12C 12-Inch LED Strip Light
BGears 80MM 500 to 4000RPM Case Fan
Cooler Master AF120 1500RPM Purple LED Case Fan
Vandal Resistant Illuminated Momentary Switch - Black - 22/19mm - Purple Dot
Vandal Resistant Illuminated Momentary Switch - Black - 18/16mm - Purple Dot
4 x USB 3.0 Panel Mount USB Cable
2 x USB 2.0 Panel Mount USB Cable
2 x Shielded RJ45 Panel Mount Cable
2 x HDMI Male to Female Panel Mount Cable
2 x WiFi Antenna Bulkhead Cable
Multiple Simpson Strong-Tie 18 Gauge Straps
Multiple Simpson Strong-Tie Angle Brackets
LEXAN Clear Polycarbonate Sheet
Way more cans of spray paint than I am willing to admit.

So I am not destroying peoples bandwidth with a lot of pictures, the entire collection of high resolution pictures for this build can be found here:

Tell me what you think, this was a fun project for myself, though I did get pissed off many times during it, mainly with painting as I wanted it as perfect as possible, but for a first go at something like this, I was very satisfied with myself and it has sparked me to want to do more things like this, just need to find what to do.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thought I had this damn thing in the "Work Log" sub-thread, if I mod could move it that would be great.

Back