It's a work of art, as usual, from Mashie. What is the use of this thing? I'm not following what a "router" testbed is for. Linux firewall testing? That's why I'm a LimpGawd, I guess.

Nice work, Mashie.

IronChefMorimoto

as usual, uber sweet mod. i am left wondering why not buy the dual port NICs made by intel and such, that would double the amount of ports that your friends can use.how much did it cost to buy all the PCs and NICs? and what about the building materials and such?

=Vector= said:
i just gotta ask...

how much does that thing weigh? ;)
Don't know really but it is very easy to move with the castors installed ;)

IronChefMorimoto said:
What is the use of this thing? I'm not following what a "router" testbed is for.
It will apparently be possible to simulate a small slice of the internet on it, each system is one router. No idea about the specific software but I would assume BGP and OSPF are some of the protocols that will work.

chronic9 said:
as usual, uber sweet mod. i am left wondering why not buy the dual port NICs made by intel and such, that would double the amount of ports that your friends can use.how much did it cost to buy all the PCs and NICs? and what about the building materials and such?
Dual port NICs are expensive, you can get single port intel NICs for just over a dollar each while dual port versions are closer to $50 on eBay. All computers were bought in a $150 lot and the rest of the material around $75 so about $275 in total.

Techx said:
this is fuckin sick my friend, good job :cool:

Mashie,
Just amazing my friend!

Taking all that old stuff and making something, not only useful but great looking as well!

Pat your self on the back.

W0W that was a fast build! :)

Great work. Absolutely stunning.

Only 2 suggestions. One would be to add some industrial handles on the ends. It will complete the whole industrial crate look, and most importantly, will help keep the soft MDF from being damaged during transport.

The other is to remind it's new owners that it cannot be used in a 120v environment without replacing the final power cord. At 120v, assuming 80% efficiency, you have to plan for a peak draw of over 1500w. Standard 18 gauge wire can handle that in the one foot jumpers you made, but the main 6ft+ cable going to the outlet should be upgraded to 12 gauge or so.

Again, this only applies if it is ever moved to a 120v environment.

Back