Project Sol Part 2 Showcases Real-Time Ray-Tracing on NVIDIA RTX

cageymaru

Fully [H]
NVIDIA has released the second installment of its Project Sol real-time ray-tracing cinematic series. It is running on Unreal Engine 4 and features real-time ray-tracing powered by NVIDIA RTX devices.

Project Sol is a showcase of the NVIDIA RTX development platform which highlights cinematic ray-traced scenes running in real time on Unreal Engine 4. In Part 2, Sol ventures forth in his exoskeleton suit.

I love tech demos, but yet there is only 1 game that does ray-tracing as of date. I wonder if spending $1,200+ is worth it for one game in 1080p. :p

They need this tech in the next Elder Scrolls game. By the time its out I might have an RTX card.

"this is real time" yeah you can tell by the massive framerate drops...
looks good though.

I love tech demos, but yet there is only 1 game that does ray-tracing as of date. I wonder if spending $1,200+ is worth it for one game in 1080p. :p
with it hitting 30fps minimum i wouldn't even say 1080p.

How many RTX 2080 Ti cards did it take to do that?

It just works.....for this demo......

The new Iron Man movie looks shiny.

I was gonna say, "Demo for the 'Iron Man: White Boy' movie." But hey, you borrow from the best.

I would also point out there was no vegetation anywhere in that demo. But it did look good.

It looks terrible when he actually lands, like the armor model is being rendered at a third of the resolution of the rest of the scene or the background has been pre-rendered like old PC/PS1 games.

I watched this in 4k on 32" monitor and the details are really amazing....

....except for that failed arm pulling out by using thruster after landing scene. The resolution of armor suit reflection looked very dull.

I think the following saying applies literally to RTX: "you can't polish a turd..."

I think that for workstation applications it is indeed a great technology, in spite of the fact that it's all done in software and runs on Tensor cores. However, no one asked for this for gaming. All we wanted are higher frame rates at 4K...

When I read Project Sol I thought of Project Soul "Soulcalibur". When I think of all the flashy lights, and beautiful backgrounds ripe for raytracing. I got a little giddy.

I think the following saying applies literally to RTX: "you can't polish a turd..."

I think that for workstation applications it is indeed a great technology, in spite of the fact that it's all done in software and runs on Tensor cores. However, no one asked for this for gaming. All we wanted are higher frame rates at 4K...

Well, in all fairness I'd take (fast, fully working) ray tracing at 1440p and the hell with 4k any day of the week and twice on Sunday. So yeah, I did ask for it.

I'm not saying they delivered it... they havn't. But I DO want it.

Oh, and also, they keep releasing VIDEOS OF DEMOS... but have yet to release to the public, like myself, ANY of these demos for me to see run on my own RTX card.

I don't think I can remember a time ever in the history of 3D graphics cards when new tech was launched and in people's hands but the card makers wouldn't release the demos they've been showing for months. There is still essentially nothing except for some not very stellar reflections in BFV to look at. And I can't get the game (free copy someone gave me I won't pay EA for anything) to run long enough to see any of it, because it crashes constantly. No other game I have has any issue whatsoever on my 2080 it runs very well but BFV simply won't keep running for more than a couple of minutes. At least not in DX12 with DXR on.

So yeah, I still like the demos. Woohoo. Awesome demo. Now how do I get to see that on my own 2080 card? Huh Nvidia? I'm watching tech demos for a card... I OWN... that I can't see for myself. This is getting really, really awkward.

Not at all unexpected, but still amazingly awkward.

Well, in another sense, maybe we will be able to rid ourselves of these 'self righteous' actors and actresses soon and just make CGI movies that look realistic!

The stillborn technology of "real time raytracing technology" at the consumer level. I'll just keep waiting through the "labor pains" at a distance. I envisioned this "birth" in a hundred different scenarios, none this ugly.

We can download all of the old demos as executables, I want a few raytracing demos as executables. Especially that star wars one. That one, I figured maybe its a licensing issue and they aren't allowed to release it. But these other in house ones they surely could.

We can download all of the old demos as executables, I want a few raytracing demos as executables. Especially that star wars one. That one, I figured maybe its a licensing issue and they aren't allowed to release it. But these other in house ones they surely could.

There might be licensing issues with the libraries they're using, though. If they release these demos I think it counts as redistributing the libraries.

Back