Project Rat Fink

Corrugated

Limp Gawd
It has come time to embark on another mod that was started many months ago, but will begin coming together soon. The project began as I was winding down on project Heavy Metal. After I converted Heavy Metal to R\C, I had a left over chassis that I really didn't want to pitch. After pondering on what to do with it, I thought it would look cool to make another hotrod theme based on the old Rat Fink type models. (a.k.a Muscle Machines for the younger generation).

So I purchased a shuttle and a Rat Fink diecast (for Rat Fink) and figured I could use some of the other left over parts from Heavy Metal for the balance.

ratfinkfront.jpg

ratfinkback.jpg

Since then I have decided to possibly incorporate my tachometer mod (I have a spare controller and have just ordered a new Autometer tach with shift light) as well as a few other ideas that I will let the pictures explain as I progress.

This mod is not going to be a radical performer like Heavy Metal, as I intend to use it as the controller for my robotic CD burner. (it's the device in the corner)

WS002.jpg

Also, no matter how much pressure I recieve on this project, it will not be motorized!

I should be able to take some additional shots of the parts and well as the start of construction this weekend.

Corrugated

Motorize it :D But not in the way you're thinking (and not wanting to do)..... put a blower, big-ass shifter and exhaust pipes on the shuttle a la Rat Fink......

lamarth said:
Motorize it :D But not in the way you're thinking (and not wanting to do)..... put a blower, big-ass shifter and exhaust pipes on the shuttle a la Rat Fink......

Not too far off from what I have planned.

Here is couple of pics of some of the parts being used:

Rat Fink

RF001.jpg

Rear exhaust (I'll take a better pic once the fan is in place and its polished):

RF002.jpg

Tachometer controller. I was hoping that the tach and aluminum fan would arrive today, but it looks like next week for those.

RF003.jpg

Rear wing and support (in desperate need of polishing):

RF004.jpg

I have already discovered that I can't fit the wing, Rat Fink, the tachometer and a big engine out of the top at the same time. I am thinking about moving Rat Fink and the tach to the back, dump the wing, and go with the engine mod. As I get closer to mocking it up I will take pictures of the different arrangements to see what everyone thinks.

looks like fun. i especially like how the wheels are about the same size as the shuttle:p

this one i have GOT to watch... good lord you are amazing with these things.

and i am going to be the first one to say that, regardless of your intentions, you still have got to motorize it. sorry, but it just doesn't seem right not to. i'd say a pair of NPC-2212's and a cheap nimh battlepack would be about right.

you should get some 120mm deltas with counter rotating blades. They probably sound like a jet engine. They also produce 190cfm and more static pressure then the standard axial fan. So you can propell it.

Thanks everyone :)

Hey Crimson, long time!

I have completed some basics like mounting the case, the wing, exhaust, Rat Fink, and removing and cleaning up the grill in the back. Still have a tone of work ahead, but I think it is coming together nicely. I have a pair of lighted aluminum fans on the way as well as several other parts. The plastic one in the rear was just for mockup.

RF2001.jpg

RF2002.jpg

RF2003.jpg

The big question I am pondering right now is how, or better what to paint. I know I want a wild airbrush job, but am having a hard time deciding.

Corrugated

yeah... but only when you push it around.

i say either motorize it or tie a string to the front so you can haul it around easier!

He could tow it with Heavy Metal.....

I think something with wild lime green ...candied with bizarre flames..... Of course, there is not much canvas to work with. This looks like it will be another good one to watch. You may have to sticky the thread to keep it from getting too big too fast.

Keep up the Wicked Awesome work!

I like the green and flame idea. :)

Ok, before I show you the next pics, I wanted to warn all the gear heads that yes, I am using a fairly nice Autometer tachometer on my computer. It is amazing how much flaming I got for doing that on Heavy Metal.

I was a little undecided about the tachometer, but I think it is going to fit into the theme pretty well. I didn't really document the tachometer, software, and interface when I did Heavy Metal, but will do a better job this time around. I need to make a few modifications to the tachometer driver for public use, but I will make that available as well as point you to where you can get the interface. The software I will provide for free but the interface will cost around $70. Keep in mind it cost me over $500 to develop, so $70 isn't all that bad, and yes, you will need to provide your own tach. I will also take video of the tachometer in action so you can see the difference from cheaper alternatives.

Enough talk, pics:

RFT001.jpg

RFT002.jpg

Your opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Corrugated

motorize it! motorize it! motorize it! motorize it!

:D you did ask for suggestions...

starhawk said:
yeah... but only when you push it around.

i say either motorize it or tie a string to the front so you can haul it around easier!

Just as an FYI, I have already worked up the plans to power it, and if I do at some point in the future, it will be gas powered. For now though, un-powered it shall stay.

trailer hitch it to the of back heavy metal, like its going to the drags ;) after all.. HM looks like its the type to be a hauler, like a big rig, while the shuttel, could easly be made to look like a dragster, as that was pretty much what rat fink was all about.. and im loveing the gas powered idea.. that would also suit the rest of the dragster idea, would just need to extend the front out and put smaller skinny tires on it.. and go the funny car route, with the case shell... flips open, hinges at the back.

thore

gas powered?! pffff... you're either planning on using nothing bigger than a 1.5hp engine or you are totally insane. i looked into that for a battlebot idea... a 20hp engine is like 70lbs.

hmm... come to think of it... a weedeater engine would actually give that dinky boxen a bit of speed, considering the wheels are the size of the computer itself... hehehe don't forget to post a movie like you did for heavy metal!

im pretty shure he could get it going with a nittro engen disgined for rc cars... just have to use some gear reduction... the nice thing about the nitro and gas rc motors are that you can get 2 (and i think even 3) speed gear boxes for them, or he could do the way over the top ratfink style and go for a 5hp lawnmower motor, and make it look like that was part of the plan, ala REALLY big dragster motor / littel bitty car. and have the moror hung out the back right over the rear weels...

... ehh its a wait and see any way becuase hes not planning on powering it.. thought i see no reason not to incorperate at least part of a motor, to give the full effect, even if its non functional

thore

thore said:
im pretty shure he could get it going with a nittro engen disgined for rc cars... just have to use some gear reduction... the nice thing about the nitro and gas rc motors are that you can get 2 (and i think even 3) speed gear boxes for them, or he could do the way over the top ratfink style and go for a 5hp lawnmower motor, and make it look like that was part of the plan, ala REALLY big dragster motor / littel bitty car. and have the moror hung out the back right over the rear weels...

... ehh its a wait and see any way becuase hes not planning on powering it.. thought i see no reason not to incorperate at least part of a motor, to give the full effect, even if its non functional

thore

Can't have a plan without knowing what parts you are going to be using.

sk27rc.jpg

Of course it would also have a tuned pipe and velocity stack, but the engine is a 27cc 3.5HP scooter engine.

Corrugated

holy crap! you're gonna put that much juice on that thing? add wings and it'll be the incredible blinged hotrod computer!

I was watching some old screensavers episodes (I live in europe)
and i saw you on one of them man This mod is sweet i love your work

that god some one that can use the rat fink name and really make somthing to on'r ed big daddy :cool:

holy crap! you're gonna put that much juice on that thing? add wings and it'll be the incredible blinged hotrod computer!

well if he makes the gearing right it well be a power house that well not roll when you hit the gas.

ps,a wheely bar wood be so cool :D

Back